Quantcast

26" bmx/cruiser

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I was looking at the geo of the 2011 NS Capital 26 . . . and it looks like it would end up being very 26" BMX.... The most interesting part is the bottom bracket is above axle level, even with a low 420mm axle-to-crown fork. With a taller fork it's even way higher.

Even though they're saying "remember, the Capital is not a big bmx cruiser" . . . . I think it could be pretty damn close !

I could imagine one being set up kind of like the Volume Sledgehammer, with BMX cruiser bars.....

The Capital was always a 24” specific frame, however having received many inquiries in the last 2 years, we decided that the new Capital 2011 street frame should also be offered in a 26” version. So here it is: radical geometry and ultra short chain stays.

For 2011 we decided to use simpler tubes (we call them simple but they are still multiple butted!), because they are super strong in critical areas but not so thin in the middle - therefore more resistant to dents resulting from crashing and throwing the bike - something that is inevitable in street riding. The result is a slightly heavier frame but at the same time - more crash resistant and better priced. Don’t worry too much about the weight… you will see abused 2011 Capital frames hitting the 9-10kg weight mark. We made the frame strong enough even for the most hardcore riders. This radical frame is the brainchild of "RNS" our test rider and product manager.

The Capital comes with a narrow seat stay shape for the perfect look. At the same time we decided that U-brakes are a better solution for street, giving great power, modulation and a clean look with nothing to catch on your trousers. We still feature 100% removable brake hardware so it will look pure for those who prefer to go brakeless. Another cool feature is that we decided to use an integrated pivotal mount with our slimmer custom shape. We put the integrated seat post as low as possible!

Remember that the Capital is not a big street bmx cruiser. The geometry is radical but still connected with mtb world, you can use rigid forks or short travel suspension. But the parts that you should spec come straight from 20” world - a bmx hub (110x14), Spanish bb, integrated headset, integrated pivotal post, removable U-brakes bosses in the case you need them… simply a pure street frame.

• Fits bmx parts: Spanish BB, 110x14mm hubs, Campy Spec integrated headsets, pivotal seats, U Brakes
• High-end special offset butted tubes with integrated gussets combined. Multiple butted DT and TT
• The Capital is designed to work with bmx hub 110x14mm. Accepts both LHD and RHD hubs
• Spanish BB is a perfect solution for BMX cranks. Bigger bearings than in Euro BB’s mean that the system is simple and strong
• Integrated pivotal mount welded to your frame as low as possible. Lighter than any existing seat post. Weights only 25g
• The Captial comes with an Integrated Headset. Strong, simple, and maintenance free.
• Micro dropouts with smooth bottom edge to avoid hang-ups CNC machined inside for max weight saving, accepts pegs!
• Narrow seat stays for that really compact look

Specs:
● Top Tube (physical c-c): 26”: 545mm / 21.5”
● Chain Stays: 26”: 370mm / 14.5” slammed
● Frame Size: 26”: 286mm / 11.3”
● Head Tube Stack: 115mm / 4.5”
● Biggest Chainring: up to ~32t depending on cranks, axle length, bb spacers, hub used / chain line
● Sprockets with guards e.g. Odyssey MDS will fit only without internal guard
● Capital is a only NS frame that accept use of pegs
● Removable U-brakes hardware (cable guide, cable stopper and brake pivots)
● Max Tyre Size: 26”x2.2”
● Built in pivotal seat post

Geometry with 485mm axle to crown fork (~100mm travel)
● Head Tube Angle: 26”: 70°
● Seat Tube Angle: 26”: 75°
● BB Height: 26”: +31mm
● Wheel Base: 26”: 1018mm

Geometry with 420mm axle to crown fork (RNS rigid fork)
● Head Tube Angle: 26”: 73.5°
● Seat Tube Angle: 26”: 78°
● BB Height: 26”: +9mm
● Wheel Base: 26”: 986mm,

Features:
• Weight: ~2.36 kg + 0.03kg U-brakes hardware
• Rear Spacing: Bmx Hub Spacing (O.L.D 110 x 14mm), accepts both right & left side drive hubs
• Required Headset Style: Integrated headset, Campy spec (45x45°, OD41.8mm)
• Frame Material: Custom butted 4130 cromoly
• BB Shell: Spanish BB
• Dropouts: Horizontal
• Front Derailleur Clamp Diameter:
• Derailleur Type:
• Seat Post Diameter: Integrated pivotal mount welded to your frame as low as possible
• Seat Clamp Diameter: N/A
• Chainline:
• Recommended Fork Length: 60-100mm or rigid forks 420-440mm
• Brake interface: U brakes (BMX style)
• Wheel Size: 26”
• Tyre Clearance: 2.2”

NS Capital 26

Volume Sledgehammer

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Hmmmm. That Performer would have been a lot cooler with 990 brakes, a bb at or above axle level, 6"-ish rise GT freestyle bars, front brakes & gyro.

I've never tried a Cruiser... However, I can definitively say I'm not a fan of above-the-axis BBs. I know they make a 20-incher way more maneuverable, but in a 26er, it feels like the geo is screwed (to me at least).

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
mongoose is doing a reissue of their Kos cruiser. Looks pretty good to me.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
I don't know any retro cruisers, but I think you could use the DK Asterik 26" or a Cygnus or Sentry 24". I'm shooting to get a Cygnus 24 myself.

Oct 26, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
I made my own 26" BMX. It's a mid 80's Huffy cruiser frame, with Huffy BMX bars, Schwinn forks, 170mm Maxy Cross 3pc cranks & Alienation PBR wheels. I am going to have the frame/forks/bars sandblasted & powder coated black.

It's a blast to ride! :weee: