Quantcast

26" build options (27.5" frame)

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Looking for some input regarding a 26" build, since I still have all parts need after my Chilcotin failed. My new Process 153 (size Large) is without doubt the most epic bike I have owned, and I feel that a large reason for this is the fit. For comparison I still have my Turner 5 Spot which I was keeping as a back up bike and for straight up trail riding, but where I once thought it was super fun in the woods, I now find it way to short in reach (as in the bars feel tucked under me). While the Lyrik off my Process went in for shim stack mods, I jumped on the 5 Spot and it literally took me 2 full rides to adjust (jumping back on to the Process felt instantly perfect). So the 5 Spot is either going to my son or up for sale.

I have been monitoring PB to find a bargain frame to build up with my 26" bits, but with frames becoming rare and full builds becoming the norm (I guess people are just selling up to move over to bigger wheels), options are limited. However the main issue is that 26" geo is really archaic now and after moving onto the Process I would really need to buy an XL frame to get a similar fit. Issue is the seat post length on XLs is too long and my priority when riding is a low saddle height for jumping.

I was starting to settle on a Banshee Rune V2, since it has modular drop outs and the V2 Reach and WB is not too far off my Process, and I would set it up as a dedicated Park bike. I have an amazing Lyrik Coil with Avy Cart, and I would probably run coil out back. I have a solid set of wheels and I could run appropriate "park" tires without worrying about rolling resistance and weight.

However, a Snabb T popped up on PB at a great price and got me looking at a fun trail bike that I could build up with my 26" 160mm Pike, run faster/lighter tires, and use it for daily rides near my house. This includes a 4 mile trail that is built like a pump/bmx track with plenty of single, double and triple rollers that can be pumped or boosted, and plenty of corners that can be hammered.

This leads me in the question about BB height. If I am correct, a bike with a BB drop of 11mm (only BB measurement provided for NS bikes), on 27.5" wheels, gives a BB height of 344mm (355mm-11mm). If I then drop in 26" wheels, I get a BB height of 331mm (13mm difference in axle height). I wouldn't be too concerned if I was only riding the local trail, but a BB height of 331mm could be an issue if I were to head out to Wales, even with 170mm cranks. I thought about an offset shock bushings to lift the BB, but that would steepen my HA and I cant find a angle set that matches the Snabb T's headtube. Looking at the BB height of the Rune, I may be overly concerned since the Geo chart shows 328mm in the low setting, and 335mm in neutral.

I have looked at frames with geo adjust (flip chips), but the ones I have identified have boost spacing. I am trying not to spend money on components!

Just curious to know if anyone has any better options. I am not in a rush to make a decision but I would like to be ready if something does pop up. Main criteria are - non-boost with 142mmx12mm rear axle, can take a 160mm tapered fork as minimum, and has a reach at least 455mm--460mm in size large. I will run a 50mm stem so a reach of around 455mm will put me in the ball park of my Process. Head angle shouldn't be an issue but 65*-66* is perfect.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I was considering a Dune due to their longer than industry standard geo, but they really do not come up for sale. I have been monitoring the 26" frame market since my Knolly died.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
You'll be fine. I ride 29 frames with 27.5 wheels and the bb drop is bigger there. You'll get better at ratcheting pedals and your bike will fucking rail.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Just buy a banshee rune. I have had a 2014 one since it was new, ridden it over 100 days in bike parks and so, so many shuttles and the frame has never been an issue. It has been through at least three of every single component however (barring stem). I ran it 26” for most of its life with 27.5 dropouts being my favorite. They’re cheap used now.

I’m only leaving mine now because I finally purchased a nicolai geometron.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I don't have any answers except here is a really good price on new XL size Rune V2:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Looking for some input regarding a 26" build, since I still have all parts need after my Chilcotin failed. My new Process 153 (size Large) is without doubt the most epic bike I have owned, and I feel that a large reason for this is the fit. For comparison I still have my Turner 5 Spot which I was keeping as a back up bike and for straight up trail riding, but where I once thought it was super fun in the woods, I now find it way to short in reach (as in the bars feel tucked under me). While the Lyrik off my Process went in for shim stack mods, I jumped on the 5 Spot and it literally took me 2 full rides to adjust (jumping back on to the Process felt instantly perfect). So the 5 Spot is either going to my son or up for sale.

I have been monitoring PB to find a bargain frame to build up with my 26" bits, but with frames becoming rare and full builds becoming the norm (I guess people are just selling up to move over to bigger wheels), options are limited. However the main issue is that 26" geo is really archaic now and after moving onto the Process I would really need to buy an XL frame to get a similar fit. Issue is the seat post length on XLs is too long and my priority when riding is a low saddle height for jumping.

I was starting to settle on a Banshee Rune V2, since it has modular drop outs and the V2 Reach and WB is not too far off my Process, and I would set it up as a dedicated Park bike. I have an amazing Lyrik Coil with Avy Cart, and I would probably run coil out back. I have a solid set of wheels and I could run appropriate "park" tires without worrying about rolling resistance and weight.

However, a Snabb T popped up on PB at a great price and got me looking at a fun trail bike that I could build up with my 26" 160mm Pike, run faster/lighter tires, and use it for daily rides near my house. This includes a 4 mile trail that is built like a pump/bmx track with plenty of single, double and triple rollers that can be pumped or boosted, and plenty of corners that can be hammered.

This leads me in the question about BB height. If I am correct, a bike with a BB drop of 11mm (only BB measurement provided for NS bikes), on 27.5" wheels, gives a BB height of 344mm (355mm-11mm). If I then drop in 26" wheels, I get a BB height of 331mm (13mm difference in axle height). I wouldn't be too concerned if I was only riding the local trail, but a BB height of 331mm could be an issue if I were to head out to Wales, even with 170mm cranks. I thought about an offset shock bushings to lift the BB, but that would steepen my HA and I cant find a angle set that matches the Snabb T's headtube. Looking at the BB height of the Rune, I may be overly concerned since the Geo chart shows 328mm in the low setting, and 335mm in neutral.

I have looked at frames with geo adjust (flip chips), but the ones I have identified have boost spacing. I am trying not to spend money on components!

Just curious to know if anyone has any better options. I am not in a rush to make a decision but I would like to be ready if something does pop up. Main criteria are - non-boost with 142mmx12mm rear axle, can take a 160mm tapered fork as minimum, and has a reach at least 455mm--460mm in size large. I will run a 50mm stem so a reach of around 455mm will put me in the ball park of my Process. Head angle shouldn't be an issue but 65*-66* is perfect.

Saw some of the WC guys bikes in the pits using these or some form of eccentric BB's in order to run Mullet Setups.
Should allow you to raise the BB enough to account for the difference in wheelsize.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
i'm 6'1" and 165's feel like midget cranks to me. although i did have to run them on a DH bike in the past just for clearance, as it had a sub 13" BB height.
I prefer spinning to heavy mashing, and my inseam is ~32" so not really dwarf legs and they just works for me fine. There is an adjustment period for sure though.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I prefer spinning to heavy mashing, and my inseam is ~32" so not really dwarf legs and they just works for me fine. There is an adjustment period for sure though.
I got even longer legs and had no adjusting period coming from 175 to 165. I was expecting it to feel a bit weird. Only thing I definitely noticed was the shorter leverage on steep climbing parts.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
If you could find one, a Process 167 might be the answer. Or would be a bit too similar to your new 153?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Bird just released their new 130mm trail bike (Aether 7), with a BB height 325mm. So it seem my concerns of 331mm proves I am a pussy.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-bird-aether.html

Being watching a Rune on PB for months. Decide to go ahead and view the frame because the seller shows as being in the same city, but turns out the winkle is living abroad and the frame is out of country.

Kind of like the idea of building a mini park bike (I frikken love my Avy Lyrik) so I don’t have to worry about ditching the bike if I bail, or damage from uplifting. Last year was my first uplift experience and being nervous about other dudes squeaking their bikes in between bikes already loaded up, I waited to keep an out on mine. Some oldish geezer didn’t really have the strength and know how to get his bike lifted and in the rack, and put a nice long gouge into some other riders bike with his pedal. Not good to see up close, and with my Process being carbonz not keen to have this happen to me.

The Snabb T is selling for a great price considering the condition (like new) and at least comes with a piggy back shock (Rockshox ). It is also straight black and not one of their hellish paint jobs, and should be a tough frame that I can hammer away on. I have the option to increase the stroke length of the X2 fitted to my Process, which will give me more separation between bikes. And considering we all like to change out frames at some point, I will have a dedicated trail bike and I could switch out the Process for something with more travel (loving the Commencal Clash).

I have been monitoring PB regularly since I needed to find something to replace my Knolly, so about 6 months. I have noticed shit is not selling like it used to, and more care is needed before buying something these days. I am also receiving silly offers for stuff I have listed. Tough market.