Quantcast

26" disc DJ wheel suggestions

Leon94

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
McLean, VA
for entry-->moderate DJ 26" disc wheels for under $150, which of the following selections would be adequate?

Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset W/Sun Rhyno Lite Rims
Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset w/Mavic 221 Rims
Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset w/ WTB Dual Duty FR Rims
Shimano LX Wheelset w/ Sun Rhyno Lite Rims
Shimano XT M756 Disc Wheelset w/ Sun Rhyno Lite Rims

...Sun Ringle Camouflauge Singletrack Disc Wheelset (sale/$200)

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
does your bike have vertical or horizontal drops?

Will you need a nutted axle?

If so, I'd say the xt/rhynolite option and slap a nutted axle on there, pick up a 15 and 17 cone wrench and learn how to adjust your hubs properly and rebuild them and they will last for quite a while.

I've also had good luck with ringle hubs as well....

I found the singletracks to a be a lil soft, but if you kept your tire pressure a lil higher shouldn't be a issue...

my .02 cents

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
does your bike have vertical or horizontal drops?

Will you need a nutted axle?

If so, I'd say the xt/rhynolite option and slap a nutted axle on there, pick up a 15 and 17 cone wrench and learn how to adjust your hubs properly and rebuild them and they will last for quite a while.
Yes good to know what the set-up is or will be. IMO you want a nutted axle for any DJ regardless of dropout - obviously more important for horizontals.

As with any cup/cone bearing hub, the key to it is adjustment and maintenance. An XT properly greased and tightened will spin forever. But as all hubs wear in, you need to adjust a few times until it is broken in completely.

If going SS then definately look into build a one-time wheelset that will last a while with a SS rear hub. Much stronger wheelset without the dish. I just built a new set of Woodman SS hubs on EX721, 36h, double butted with brass nipples. Strong, light and pretty. But the cost is difference... Lots of people want the cheap and easy and end up getting new wheels sooner due to needing better wheels. Then you spent so-so money on wheels that get replaced with $$ ones. I am in the belief that you spend more on wheels the first time around and they last a LONG time.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I bought a set of rhyno lite to xt hubs.. and my rear xt axle bent in a matter of 5ish months. Rather disappointing. It trashed in inner-cone, thus rendering me needing a new hub. I'd suggest forking out money for a worthy wheelset.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
I've also had good luck with ringle hubs as well....

I found the singletracks to a be a lil soft, but if you kept your tire pressure a lil higher shouldn't be a issue...
I had a wheelset of singletracks laced to ringle hubs, the hubs run amazing still after 2 years without any rebuild. I flatspotted the rear singletrack really bad but the front has lasted well, the rear is now an atomlab pimp, heavy but tough as hell. I should mention they're both 24" 36h.

I love the atomlab/ringle combo, little on the heavy side but still awesome.

rid3HB

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
hmm.... azonic outlaws anyone? ive heard amazing things about them, but i know they arent on your list.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
XT hubs will be better than deore no question, but if you have the cash to get the ringle hubs, they're pretty nice. i've been impressed by my ABBAHs on my 8 tracks. the sun rims are a little bit soft in general when compared to mavic stuff because of the material they use, but from what i've seen the sun stuff tends to dent when the mavic stuff cracks. i'm not sure about the wtb rims, i do know they are commonly found on budget bikes though.

Leon94

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
McLean, VA
Thank you all for the suggestions. I strongly agree, like any individual component on your bike, rims laced to specific hubs will ultimately determine performance, dependability, and reliability, no question. Unfortunately, the market is so high for high-end components, whether you're looking for frames, build-kits, or parts. This is another one of those expensive hobbies!