Quantcast

26" or 20"

Reece

Chimp
Oct 8, 2007
i'm new to trialing and was wondering what would be a better bike to start off on a 20" or a 26"?

Benj

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
ahh, the original trials noob question.
I'm sure if you look around you will see this question asked and answered in many places.

When I was starting I chose a 20 because at the time you couldn't run a single speed 26 and compete. Not having dangly bits like deraileurs is great from a durability perspective and also from a safety point of view -particularly if you are a hack like me when it comes to tuning gears.

Now that rules have changed this is no longer an important factor.

-20 can be more nimble but 26 roll more easily over rough ground/are better for rolling moves
-if you're tall 26 are better asthetically 20in offer more clearance and don't require such exaggerated 'body english' to manipulate -largely due to the shorter rear end (this doesn't seem to be an issue for those used to 26)

26 are generally more popular. While some particular moves are easier on one type or the other, the two types are fairly evenly matched in terms of overall capacity.

I'm currently thinking of making up a 24 because I like the nimble nature of the 20 but like the rolling moves and the look of the 26. So after riding for a few years I still cant choose! ;)

hope this helps: basically both types work well and it comes down to personal preference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
another point... for a stock (26") trials bike, it is easier to get away with using non trials parts because they are more widely available. For mod bikes (20"), many of the parts are very specific to mod riding. Things like rims, tires, stems, drivetrain...

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I'm only a fan so my reply will not be of much help so I hope you don't mind if I clutter your thread with it anyway.

I prefer to watch 20".

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Stock is more comfortable for me. It translates well to riding on my other 26" bikes. The larger wheels will roll over/up things more readily. The newer stock frames have geometry that makes them ride much like mods.

Mod bikes are lighter and easier to flick around. For some, they just feel too small.