Quantcast

26 or 24?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I have a Norco 250 on 26s right now and I want to get a new bike because I don't like a few things about the geometry. So my question is should I buy a Black Market and transfer all my parts over or get a Tonic or Union Street? The Black Market would be cheaper because I would only have to buy the frame, but I like the idea of 24s even though with a Tonic or Union Street I would have to buy all new parts. Also, I'm not super happy with the rear hub on my current bike and replaceing that would be expensive compared to what a good BMX hub would cost, which is what I would get with a Tonic or Union Street.
I would ride the bike pretty much in skate parks and a little dirt jumping. My riding style is flowing the park with stylish airs (in a perfect world atleast). I'm not really into tricks, more style moves. I don't really do tech tricks like stalls, foot plants, or tire taps, but would like to learn. So what do you think would be best?

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
with the same excitement as arboc, and with the same lack of reason or explanation i will say - get the tonic, and get with 24s. the fallguy is a sickkkkkk frame. (notice one extra k? trust me, its worth the extra k)

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
I have pretty good experience here....

I have been riding a Dmr rythem for the last year or so after riding a soul cycles loki...

I really REALLY love the bike for street, dirt jumping, and pretty much everything. the one downside, is i still like to race. Obviously, 24" wheels are just as raceable as 26" wheels, its just that i like to Monster truck over a bunch of stuff, so havinga bigger wheel is not a bad thing! I also find my self missing the monster truckableness while riding street too... Only rare cases, but you know its in the back of my head...

So basically, i am in the same boat as you. I am considering a new frame too, and i am looking at finding one with the TIGHTEST wheelbase i can get. So far it looks like a Mob might be the ticket, plus they ride super sick with the right fork height...

So basically, youve just gotta figure out what is the most important thing to you in a hardtail... BOOM

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
hmmm, for dirt/street/park you really can't go wrong with a fall guy. I've noticed that 26" bikes look awkard in parks (personal opinion) because the size of the frame, and wheels don't fit in the transitions as well as 24, or 20" wheeled bikes. 20" wheels are great for super smooth dirt jumps but when things get a little rough (like in the middle of summer when they aren't getting water and much needed care) the extra 4" of wheel size, and a bit of travel make the fall guy the perfect trail weapon. Street all depends on your riding style, if you are into riding your bike like a bmx on street, a 24" bike with minimal suspension up front will work great. If you're into more urban trials type riding, 24" wheels still work great, but the addition of gears although not completely necessary, do help....

So to sum up what I'm trying to say, for dirt, street, and park, 26" wheels really are an over kill, and I don't think having 26" wheels will do anything to help you in those environments. KISS (keep it simple stupid) The fall guy is a perfect bike in all of the above listed environments.... No disc brakes, or derailers to break when riding street, forcing you to walk home. A good wheel and frame size to fit inside of park transitions, so you don't land with a front wheel flat, and rear wheel on the coping when you try to air out of a 1/4. and, just the right amount of travel, and a good wheel size to flow smoothly through trails.

In the end, it's up to you, and what you like, but you did ask for opinions, so this is mine.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
hmmm, for dirt/street/park you really can't go wrong with a fall guy. I've noticed that 26" bikes look awkard in parks (personal opinion) because the size of the frame, and wheels don't fit in the transitions as well as 24, or 20" wheeled bikes. 20" wheels are great for super smooth dirt jumps but when things get a little rough (like in the middle of summer when they aren't getting water and much needed care) the extra 4" of wheel size, and a bit of travel make the fall guy the perfect trail weapon. Street all depends on your riding style, if you are into riding your bike like a bmx on street, a 24" bike with minimal suspension up front will work great. If you're into more urban trials type riding, 24" wheels still work great, but the addition of gears although not completely necessary, do help....

So to sum up what I'm trying to say, for dirt, street, and park, 26" wheels really are an over kill, and I don't think having 26" wheels will do anything to help you in those environments. KISS (keep it simple stupid) The fall guy is a perfect bike in all of the above listed environments.... No disc brakes, or derailers to break when riding street, forcing you to walk home. A good wheel and frame size to fit inside of park transitions, so you don't land with a front wheel flat, and rear wheel on the coping when you try to air out of a 1/4. and, just the right amount of travel, and a good wheel size to flow smoothly through trails.

In the end, it's up to you, and what you like, but you did ask for opinions, so this is mine.

What he said...

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
I've ridden the $hit out of both 24's and 26's. I like 26" wheelz a lot more. They just have a better feel to me. It is all just personal opinion.
As far as 26's not fitting well in tight tranny at a sk8 park or DJ's, or them being overkill, I don't believe that to be the case at all. I have never had any problem. I ride Sk8 park and DJ almost everyday. The only real difference i ever realy noticed in my switch from 24's to 26's, was that 360's were a tiny bit harder. Backflips felt the exact same though.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I've ridden the $hit out of both 24's and 26's. I like 26" wheelz a lot more. They just have a better feel to me. It is all just personal opinion.
As far as 26's not fitting well in tight tranny at a sk8 park or DJ's, or them being overkill, I don't believe that to be the case at all. I have never had any problem. I ride Sk8 park and DJ almost everyday. The only real difference i ever realy noticed in my switch from 24's to 26's, was that 360's were a tiny bit harder. Backflips felt the exact same though.
yeah, I've ridden a ton of park, and dirt with both 24's and 26's. When I said 26's don't fit in transitions as well, it was not an opinion I formed riding 26's, (when I used to ride 26's I didn't even notice) it was something I noticed when I saw a buddy of mine riding his 26 at ramp rats.

I like both wheel sizes, I just gave my own personal opinion.

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I've ridden 26's only at park, street, and dirt. Never tried 24's. I ride mainly dirt and love the smooth feel with the larger wheels. I'm debating on switching to a 24 specific frame in the future. I just think it would be easier to throw around and hit tighter trannys. I want to try Mr. Tiles USB on the trails before I make the final decision.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I agree w/ Zach, go with what you prefer for wheel size, but get a frame and fork setup that is dialed. There are some bikes w/ kooky geometry but it seems as a whole frames are getting better and from what I've read the MOB is pretty good. If you have the right setup you should be able to ride most trannies w/ 26" wheels. Also, if you are riding more "all-around" stuff, using the bike for getting around town, or some trail riding, I'd say 26" is the way to go.

But..., I have to add, my USB gets used most out of my bikes (the 2 others are 26"ers). I have also gone back and forth from 24" to 26" a number of times and the USB feels better than all the cruisers I have had. The USB (and from what I've seen, the Tonic Fall Guy) have the geometry dialed. Short CS's, steeper angles, steel, rims brakes, 110 rear hub spacing. They are basically BMX bikes designed for a sussy fork. If park and dirt jump trails are what you are riding I would seriously think about the USB or Tonic. And the USB will be great for flowy stylish moves and when you are ready to try the tech stuff, it will be all set as well.