Quantcast

26" rigid forks? Or should I get the Atomlab?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So I just won the Unreal JR frame from last month.

I want to build up an all rigid dirt jump monster.

Any suggestions for a 26" rigid fork?

Or do you think the new 60mm Atomlab would be the way to go?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you're not used to rigid, a short travel super stiff fork is the way to go. I haven't heard any reviews of their new fork, but if its up to par with their other products it should be sweet. A buddy of mine does a lot of photo work for them, I'll drop him a line and see if he's tried it out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just talked to Nick, he said its a really sick fork. Apparently its stupid stiff and works the way you would want a DJ suss fork to work: just to take the edge off of hard hits, but still transfer power when you're trying to pump transitions, etc. The only reason Nick isn't running one is because of the gap between the tire and crown being so large that he can't to foot jam tricks on it.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
it all depends on your preference and how smooth you are, your wrists condition. After riding my buddys bmx lately my vote goes to rigid. Im ditching my sus fork asap. Plus there are the huge weight savings in a rigid.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
a kid in my crew has already gone thru 3 of the atomlab gi forks in less than 3 months. they have all just simply fallen apart. broken off dropouts, cracking all over, broken uppers, you name it...
Ya and the trailblades bend like butter and you can flex profiles at the starting gate... right...

... you can flex profiles at the starting gate... right...
if this was a dig at a previous post from me, i said i've broken their ti spindles at the gate. could of been a bad one, but it happened nonetheless...

i know you've seen the trailblade pic i have, it speaks for itself...

as for the gi fork, you waste your money one one then and then come back and tell us how it worked out for you...

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
What is the objection to the DMR trailblade in 20mm? I am nervous about running a 9/10mm fork with me being a 235 flying sack of organs.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
What is the objection to the DMR trailblade in 20mm? I am nervous about running a 9/10mm fork with me being a 235 flying sack of organs.
My 08 DMR trailblade 20mm is fine, it runs really good. The axle system is retarded but It hasn't bent or snapped unlike some of the 07 and later models i've seen.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Does anyone else make a 20mm rigid?
Custom fabricators will (I have a phd in the obvious i know). My point however is that a while back i worked with Chris at Thick Bikes to build one. I have also heard a number of stories about custom forks in a similar vein when people were simply not pleased with the other options.

Personally I had very specific desires: beefy fork (i break parts :)), 1.5" steerer, disc brake mounts, and 20mm thru axle. I couldn't find what I wanted, so I had it built.

Spam: (as chance would also have it, I am also selling it, but not the point of my post - ebay item 160298940141)

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
a kid in my crew has already gone thru 3 of the atomlab gi forks in less than 3 months. they have all just simply fallen apart. broken off dropouts, cracking all over, broken uppers, you name it...

they had one of the atomlab forks down at the lbs and I was pretty interested in it until they threw it on a dj bike and a kid broke it ****in around after just a couple days. the thing just fell apart wtf?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Custom fabricators will (I have a phd in the obvious i know). My point however is that a while back i worked with Chris at Thick Bikes to build one. I have also heard a number of stories about custom forks in a similar vein when people were simply not pleased with the other options.

Personally I had very specific desires: beefy fork (i break parts :)), 1.5" steerer, disc brake mounts, and 20mm thru axle. I couldn't find what I wanted, so I had it built.

Spam: (as chance would also have it, I am also selling it, but not the point of my post - ebay item 160298940141)
If it wasn't for the fact that it was a 1.5", I'd be all over that.
What, if you don't mind me asking, did you pay for it new?

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
If it wasn't for the fact that it was a 1.5", I'd be all over that.
What, if you don't mind me asking, did you pay for it new?
Well..... truth is I can't give you a totally accurate number since it went in several steps and I simply don't remember and always paid in cash. So I would guess that 400 is probably in the ball park, but don't hold me to it. I also had him make two custom 20mm axles in there, one for pegs for that fork, and one for pegs which would fit my sherman.

You could always drop Chris an e-mail and ask for a quote if you are interested, and I think he might have some rough cost ideas on his site somewhere. He is a great guy and should also have some extra time soon since winter is getting going around here which usually signals a decline in some of his walk in service business.