Quantcast

26 speed bike?

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
I'm having a hugeeee argument with my friend about the existence, purpose, usefulness, and worth of a 26 speed bike. The only combo I can think of that would produce this would be 2x13. Now, campy just released an 11 cog cassette for roadies... Still makes little sense to me.

I believe that the bike can exist, but it would obviously be a custom cassette and would require a custom frame and hub to utilize current chains due to spacing, or it would need a custom chain and most likely hub.

My argument is: The creation of this bicycle is pointless and in almost any case has no practical use.

His: It exists and is use as a "dune climbing" bike.

He says that he friend works at a "pro" bike shop and has it. He wont give up is argument even though I believe I have won by providing a reasonable answer as to why it makes no sense.

He says that there is no reason that you need different chains for more gears and all that sh*t. its driving me nuts.

Can someone please help me end this by proving him wrong? Or, hell, prove me wrong.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
tell him to get a picture of said bike to prove it. if he doesn't provide the picture, insult him mercilessly.

or just give him a falcon punch

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I've never seen or heard of a cassette with more than the Campy 11 spread, and there's no other way to get to 26.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I saw drawings of a Shimano 14 speed cassette and chain. Not a chain that we are used to. I think it had single plates alternating with very closely spaced outer pairs and the teeth hooked up to the rivets or something like that. It was posted somewhere a long time ago. Never built as far as I know.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/campagnolo-shimano-and-fsa-for-2009-and-beyond-16947

It is mentioned in this article. I recall a bike I saw over thirty years ago that had a 5 speed internal hub and 3 or 4 speed cassette and derailleur. So maybe some form of hybrid is possible. But to make a 13 speed cassette with even a campy 11 speed narrow chain would require a wide hub and corresponding bb spacing.

Like they say on the interweb, without pictures, It does not exist.