Quantcast

26" vs 650c

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Dropout spacing aside, are the rim diameters close enough that I can put a 26" mtb wheelset on a time trial bike? My gf has a set of Hugi-hubed Rolf mtb wheels and I want to see if she can run them on a tt bike that she may be getting. I'm not againt fliling a dropout if that s what it takes (and is safe of course).

Thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Repack said:
Dropout spacing aside, are the rim diameters close enough that I can put a 26" mtb wheelset on a time trial bike? My gf has a set of Hugi-hubed Rolf mtb wheels and I want to see if she can run them on a tt bike that she may be getting. I'm not againt fliling a dropout if that s what it takes (and is safe of course).

Thanks.
Well, the ISO diameter for 650c wheels is 571mm and the 26 is 559. I don't know if 26 or 650c wheels are compatible, but there is a difference in the rim sizes...

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
That is what I was after. Thanks. 6mm will be easy to make up. Now all that I need to do is see if there are many nice mtb tires to choose from that are <1".

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
splat said:
One ohter thing to watch, bikes that run 650's tend to be road bikes , ( I'm Assuming the TT bike is a road Bike ) and road Spacing in the rear is 126 or 130 MM
Most 26 inch Mt bike wheels are made for 135 MM spacing
I know. Its a Hugi hub so all that I would have to do is swap an end cap and axle. Or just stuff it in.

As for the brakes, the rim radius's are only off by 6mm so I am sure that I can make it work. I doubt that I will try (given the lack of small 26" tires) but its always nice to keep the options open. I've found a handful of 26 x 1 and 26 x 7/8 tires but do not know if it is worth it to try.