Quantcast

26 West Update???

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
he asked me if I or someone else can come up today or tomorrow and snap pics and post them
:picsstfu:

That would be good, Kenan you should get on that!!!!! And dont give me any gimp arm excuses!!!!

It would be nice to see some trail and feature shots.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
For the record.
You are getting no where near my mouth this weekend. :rofl::rofl:
You say that now but wait till all the whining and fvcking starts, apparently I'm quite skilled!

JR, you are all that is right in the world!:cupidarrow:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2007
Sorry to everyone I may have confused. I was right about 9 chairs, but I was wrong assuming they were 2 seat chairs,probably because thats what they were at the wolf race last year. 36 at a time shouldnt be bad.

anyways, this weekend should be a good time !

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
crap...wish i could make it saturday but i'm working. i seriously doubt i'll be able to talk the wife into letting me head up there sunday w/ the boy. i'll try all of my ninja husbandry skills and see how it turns out. ;)

thanks for the update butch....i assumed that ryan was uber busy and i was planning on coming regardless based on my faith in ryan as one helluva good guy. i think all of the questions and skepticism are valid considering how we've been conditioned with nearly instant pics of new locations. your post brought back that warm fuzzy feeling that everything is gonna be alright in our little two wheeled world. :thumb:

doug,...umm...wow. a little understanding for the plight of the weekend warrior could go a long way in your expose of pompousness. for assistance, refer to page 27 of your "Handbook for Elitist Racers" and you will find the "how to apologize" paragraph. here is a template for the e-apology:

"Hey guys, sorry for my provocative post, I was having a bad day and I know what it's like to put in a lot of work on a bike course so I was a little sensitive to the criticism. I hope we can all just forget my little outburst and get back to promoting a fun and exciting riding venue in the southeast....oh yeah, and I'll let JeremyR win once in a while"

:wave::pirate2:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
JeremyR beat me at Clemson this year.

I'm not going to apologize. I'm just tired of hearing folks expect this and expect that from hard working guys like Ryan. If you aren't satisfied with 26West's marketing then call them and ask. Don't expect Ryan to get off the trail and take time away from his 8-5 to make you feel comfortable here on a internet forum board. He is busting his butt to make this happen and no doubt will take a load of criticism for anything and everything. Its not fair. I am sure Ryan would love to have 40 quad chairs and 40 bike racks to ensure zero wait time, but that is out of his control for now. I expect he will make the best of what he has. Cut him some slack and have a little faith. One day of gas money and $24 to see how it is going to be isn't going to put anyone in the poor house.

I wouldn't want to come on here either and post pictures of trails and hype things. The Ridemonkey crowd is a tough customer to please. I will be there if I have to pay $24 and shuttle myself.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I'm sure Ryan will be stoked by your reply. I understand that the employees of Wolf Ridge are working hard to get the job done to make the investment payoff. No one is criticizing Ryan. All the members of this forum are looking for on 2 different threads is news, any news.

In turn is it to much to ask that instead of half assing as per the american way, a resort debuting a bike park might meet the customers expectations? And at the minimum have a website that contains some updates to attract potential customers. Wolf Ridge is in the business of making money by the way.

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Why not just check it out for yourself?...then if it sucks...don't go back.

If it doesn't...then great!

The offer HAS been on the table that if you wanna come see the progress, call up Ryan and go help out (and get a free trail pass). Wouldn't that be a lot more proactive then nagging for pictures on an internet forum that (gasp) some people's lives DON'T revolve around? Building trails is hard hard work, and most of you guys know that, so lets not jump to conclusions just because of the lack of information. Personally, I'm gonna make my own decision.

We need to support this thing either way, even if it IS a little rough on the edges at first. Everybody has to start somewhere; if we show that there IS money in this sport, maybe other mountains will follow.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Here's hoping for good weather!!!!

truuuuuuuue that! At least lets hope it doesn't look like what I've been seeing out my window all day today!

Also, I'm planning on bringing the camera to at least snag a few shots this weekend so that should change soon enough.

Oh yeah, thanks for the info Butch, you still got that loaner bike? I better see some shreddage asap.

Last edited:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Maybe with 4 person chairs it can be JonBoy, Doug(Profro), JeffKill, and maybe Bizutch for the first ride up? That would almost be worth the ride up from Charlotte alone.

I better start making popcorn, this is gonna be good. After that we can all talk about shuttling in Pisgah or where ever it bunches up someone's panties.

wheeliemert

Chimp
Jun 11, 2004
g-boro
wow! I feel like I've been on a rollercoaster ride in this thread. I feel pretty good about what Ryan and company has done and will do! I'm gonna support as much as possible to have a place to ride so close by! Hope everyone travels is good and remember... Safety First!

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
After hours of searching the vast internet, here are the long awaited pictures of the new park:

:pirate2:

So I've gathered from this really entertaining thread that opening weekend is this weekend, but beyond that will they be open every weekend? I'd love to get a group from up here in southwestern VA to come down on a friday to put in some trail work time and ride saturday.

Apr 26, 2008
Guys and gals,
The hype is for real. Many apologies for the hysteria. Yeah, a Blackberry would be nice. The mountain had two good days of rain this week, so riding should be good-to-go by Saturday! Let's discuss it back at the mothership.

Apr 26, 2008
Due to conditions, 26 West has postponed opening the park until June 14 and 15. We had more rain this morning and that sealed the deal for postponing the opening.

The weekend of June 7 and 8 is the annual Wolfridge Hill Climb automotive race. During the race, Wolfridge road is shut down and only allows shuttles to use the road for 10 minutes every hour. That means we cannot shuttle enough bikes frequently enough to open.

Currently, the trails are too soft and slick to open; plus, I did not want to ruin the trails and create more work.

If you have further questions, please call me at 828-553-5856.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
bummer, i even had the wife amped up to go (for shopping in a-ville ;) ) and my next weekend available for the trip isn't until september. oh well, i'll make it out there eventually...it's in my destiny ;)

mtnbiker66

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
In a van down by the river.
I spent the day with Ryan,Sara and the Girlscout working at 26 west. We got some building done at the freeride park.. I also got a good look at a lot of other stuff there. This place is gonna be soooooooo much fun.It's going to cater to all riding levels.The freeride sectin will be great when it's done. I thinkwe'll be working on a wall ride next weekend. I' got a birds eye view of the progress being made. There's still a lot of work to do but it's getting there. Here are some pics from today.

Sara and the Girlscout check it out from above......

Tables at the top of the DH course......

The nice road gap on the main slope......

My Xterra packing in the takeoff......

Sara says the middle drop is just her size.....

We got the drops pretty much wrapped up today....

This place is gonna be an awesome playground for bikes.

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I was gonna say that your pic of the road gap didn't do it justice but the one with your car packing it down really puts it into perspective. :thumb:

Apr 26, 2008
Little update here on the freeride park within 26 West:
Progression drop landers and berms are getting dialed;
A curved wall ride is in the works;
Mini-tables for young guns and true dirt jumps set in a little patch of woods on the slope are planned as well.

We were disappointed not to have opened this past weekend, but the next week and a half will allow us to dial the park in, plus the trails could use a few more rains before they see a bunch of rippers!

Apr 26, 2008
26 West Mountain Bike Park will host the 2nd annual NC State DH Champs! Proposed race date is October 11-12 or 18-19. The 2008 race course again starts high on the open ridgeline and descends to the stepdown/tunnel, but changes course immediately from 2007's race course after exiting the tunnel.

At the stepdown and tunnel entrance, the race course merges into the bike park's Village DH trail, which will be the trail used to determine who will be this year's champs. Note: the upper ridgeline part of the race course is for race use only and will not be used in the bike park, nor will it ride-able at any other time.

Another possible race date is July 18-19, but I am not sure if this conflicts other events. The Village DH needs a few rains and packing-in before we race on it.

The longest run in the park should be Super-D, as it has a climb in the middle of the descent and is one of the longest runs in length. Also, the Village DH (from where it starts in the park at the upper lift and through the tunnel - not starting from the upper ridgeline) and Yo-B are long runs.

Trail times will vary from 2 - 10 minutes, that's my best guess right now. I can say there is more land available, and it is steep and fast. Future trails could offer several more minutes of descending.

The closest camping that I know of is located in the Coleman Boundary. I think this is part of the Pisgah National Forest. It offers primitive camping and nice singletrack, but is 25 minutes or more from the park. It's near Burnsville, NC.

06sxtrail

Chimp
May 30, 2008
Oxford, MS
I want everyone to know how hard Ryan has worked on 26 West. With little or no help, healthy or sick, rain or shine, Ryan has been plugging away making this downhill course awesome for us all to enjoy. People have asked many questions wondering how things will work and if it is worth the trip. The more people that show up and support the opening of 26 West, the better it will take off and be successful. I've only been able to show two separate weekends to help Ryan build trails. Many others have shown up to help, and many others should also give a lending hand.

Ryan, I'm excited and can't wait.

Also, Fontana Mt. Bike Festival is on the weekend of July 19th; I'm pretty sure these people are mostly cc riders.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ryan thanks man from me and the rest of my crew. you have given us a big light at the end of the tunnel and its nice to see someone acctually putting in a major effort to get our sport up and moving again. thanks again man

ohh and i dont want to derraile the thread, but i was wanting to get a roll call who is going to be out there next saturday. i am hopefully gonna be there all day so lets see what kinda turn out we can get fellas.