Quantcast

26mm? argh....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
where the crap do i find a 26mm 6pt socket? is there such a thing? all i've seen are 22, 24, and 27...no 26. went to Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes...argh..

edit - oh yeah, this is for a Vanilla. trying to change the travel...gonna use an adjustable wrench, but having that 26 sure would be nice.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Any bike shop that deals with UBT can get you a 26mm socket for this purpose.
26mm is just a bit bigger than 1 inch(25.4mm), I don't think you will find a SAE socket that fits.
You don't need a six point as the load of removing the top nut is low. Just do this: Get a twelve point 26mm and grind the curved lip off the face of the socket, this way it will sit flush against the base of the nut and not try to pop off. The UBT sockets already have this done.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
Any bike shop that deals with UBT can get you a 26mm socket for this purpose.
26mm is just a bit bigger than 1 inch(25.4mm), I don't think you will find a SAE socket that fits.
You don't need a six point as the load of removing the top nut is low. Just do this: Get a twelve point 26mm and grind the curved lip off the face of the socket, this way it will sit flush against the base of the nut and not try to pop off. The UBT sockets already have this done.
Off topic, but is that the difference between 6 and 12 point sockets (besides the obvious), the torque or load that each can handle? How much more can a 6 point take?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by the Inbred
where the crap do i find a 26mm 6pt socket? is there such a thing? all i've seen are 22, 24, and 27...no 26. went to Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes...argh..

edit - oh yeah, this is for a Vanilla. trying to change the travel...gonna use an adjustable wrench, but having that 26 sure would be nice.
Not quite the same thing but when I change the travel on my Float I just use an adjustable wrench. I have had no problems. Just place some electrical tape on the crown next to the top cap so you do not scratch the paint with the wrench.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
The wall of a six point tends to be much thicker so it is stronger and it has more contact with the fastener head so there is less chance of stripping. I also think it is a plot on the part of Mac and Snapon to get me to buy more stuff(They also come in three different lengths plus impacts)

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
i had this same problem but i'm in australia so it probably easier to get metric gear over here, but i just went to my local car mechanic and borrowed his 26 mm socket, as well as his torque wrench, you have to tighten those top caps pretty damn tight (tighter than you would think) to stop them from creaking, with out the torque wrench i would of never of cranked them down that hard.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, i bought an adjustable wrench...thanks for the electrical tape tip, though...however, i've already scratched up the crown. oh well...no plans on selling it, anyway.