Quantcast

26x2.5 Exo Shorty

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anybody got one yet? Any chance you could take a pic in profile for me? I'm interested if the "WT" thing doesn't mean the profile is too stupid on a normal width rim.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I run the 27.5x2.4's really like the tire, can't comment on the 26 for you, but I would think the 2.5 would be wide, like almost muddy mary 2.5 wide

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I run the 27.5x2.4's really like the tire, can't comment on the 26 for you, but I would think the 2.5 would be wide, like almost muddy mary 2.5 wide
Thing is, it's hard to know. The 2.4 is a DH casing, where as the 2.3 and 2.5 are Exo. I've got a couple of the 2.3s, and while they're really good in PNW winter conditions, something a little bigger up front would be nice. The 2.3 is similar size to a 2.3 Minion, so if the 2.5 Shorty is similar to a 2.5 Minion, that sounds cool. If it's bigger than the 2.4 DH casing, then yeah, that's huge. Hence me asking.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
IMG_5624.JPG IMG_5626.JPG FullSizeRender-1.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg Got some here, mounted on 30mm inner width rims. They have about the same profile as the 2.3 EXO and 2.4 DH mounted to 23mm IW rims but obviously they're larger than both of their lil bros. I reckon they'd be alright on 27mm IW rims but any narrower than that might be too much.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks. I'd only run one up front, on a 25mm rim. Looks okay to me, I'll give it a shot.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Moar pix comparing the 2.5 WT (dirty) to the 2.4 DH (clean).

The side profile shows (not that clearly) that the 2.5 WT side knobs extends further down the sidewall of the casing. From above you can see that there is a slightly larger gap between the center and side knobs.

Attachments

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ugh the good ol' tire quandry...So I spend most of my days trail riding on my chromag surface hardtail currently running a 29" 2.5DHF/2.3 Minion SS combo. Thinking about putting the DHF on the rear and getting a 2.5 shorty on the front for the messy portion of the year...Anyone in the northeast running a similar setup? Does the shorty really drag?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Ugh the good ol' tire quandry...So I spend most of my days trail riding on my chromag surface hardtail currently running a 29" 2.5DHF/2.3 Minion SS combo. Thinking about putting the DHF on the rear and getting a 2.5 shorty on the front for the messy portion of the year...Anyone in the northeast running a similar setup? Does the shorty really drag?
The Shorty I enjoy once the conditions cause DHF mud-packing. On hardpack - even though they roll very well on hardpack - the square nature of Shorty tread invite a slippery dynamic that DHF would instead clamp down on.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Thinking about putting the DHF on the rear and getting a 2.5 shorty on the front for the messy portion of the year...Anyone in the northeast running a similar setup? Does the shorty really drag?
I can't speak for how it will do in the northeast, but it works here. I'm running a DHF with the center knobs trimmed down and it still complements the shorty even in loose conditions.

Shorty's getting squirmy on hardpack: I've found it's far less pronounced when using the 2.5 vs the 2.3.

The 2.5 is a drag on the rear compared to the 2.3. I would not recommend a 2.3 on the front unless it's really sloppy.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So you don't feel the 2.5" Shorty would be a dog on the front? Our dirt here get's pretty gnarly starting around now, heavy leaf cover which turns into a wet sloppy clay bases surface, you really do need a knife to cut through it, shorty seems smart. I do have a fat bike I ride in the dead of winter (gasp) but I try to stay off of that as much as possible.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So you don't feel the 2.5" Shorty would be a dog on the front? Our dirt here get's pretty gnarly starting around now, heavy leaf cover which turns into a wet sloppy clay bases surface, you really do need a knife to cut through it, shorty seems smart. I do have a fat bike I ride in the dead of winter (gasp) but I try to stay off of that as much as possible.
The 2.3 rolls fine. I'm going to try a 2.5 up front, I'm not worried about it

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
I refer to it as the 'grip monster' but it if were a dog it might be the Pit Bull, since it chomps down on anything soft and doesn't wanna let go. Running the 2.3 up front works better for really sticky or gloopy soil on slower or tighter trails that don't have a lot of slippery roots & rocks, fast'n'rough stuff or steep technical bits.

It's pissing down rain here for the next week so I just threw a 2.3 on the back and took some pix to show the difference between it and the 2.5". They are both on 30mm internal width rims -

Attachments

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I Can't imagine pedaling a shorty....though a non DH casing might not be terrible, they roll pretty slow on the DH bike.
Most of the Enduro bros round here run an exo shorty up front all winter. I don't know how much they pedal but even short (10mile) XC rides for me in the same area have a minimum 3000ft of climbing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've been running 2.3 EXO Shortys on my hardtail in the winter for a while. Routinely climb 4-6k feet on it in a day and haven't died yet.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I refer to it as the 'grip monster' but it if were a dog it might be the Pit Bull, since it chomps down on anything soft and doesn't wanna let go. Running the 2.3 up front works better for really sticky or gloopy soil on slower or tighter trails that don't have a lot of slippery roots & rocks, fast'n'rough stuff or steep technical bits.

It's pissing down rain here for the next week so I just threw a 2.3 on the back and took some pix to show the difference between it and the 2.5". They are both on 30mm internal width rims -
Wait a minute... is that a coil vanilla shock on a SB66c?

Is that for real?

@manhattanprjkt83 , you might want to rethink that advice. Just saying judgement might be impaired.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Wait a minute... is that a coil vanilla shock on a SB66c?
Tis a Van R 200x51 I had laying around, gives about 120mm travel and 320mm BB height. +1.5 degree headset and 130mm travel fork for a 65.8 degree HA. Rear shock won't last long but it has an appropriate damper tune, spring rate and I already had some spare reducers and bushings to make it happen.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Tis a Van R 200x51 I had laying around, gives about 120mm travel and 320mm BB height. +1.5 degree headset and 130mm travel fork for a 65.8 degree HA. Rear shock won't last long but it has an appropriate damper tune, spring rate and I already had some spare reducers and bushings to make it happen.
Why did you choose to single speed it? Mud performance too?
do you still ride it uphill?

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Why did you choose to single speed it? Mud performance too?
do you still ride it uphill?
My downhill bike was running that setup before it sold a while back and thought I'd give it a shot this winter when I short shocked my trail bike. It works fine at my local trails that have paved road climbs. I'm thinking about adding a granny ring to make it more suitable for some other trails. I plan on using it in the summer for shuttle and lift access riding as well. I think it works better in the mud and it's definitely easier to clean afterwards.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm absolutely loving how clean and quiet my old Sunday is SS'd. no chain device either. I reckon it's a good 4lb lighter after a couple of runs in the shit than it would have been with a cassette and full chainguide.
Wish I had the legs to SS an all round bike but my usual rides just have too much climbing and my knees are pretty fucked already.

sorry. back to the discussion on the tyre genre I never use.