Quantcast

275lb Ti spring: options?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Simple question that I probably already know the answer to unfortunately. :(

Does anyone make a 275 Ti spring apart from obtainium?

Reasons I don't want an obtainium:
- Ridiculously overpriced
- Never reply to my emails, and when they do, answer 1/3 of the questions

Seriously, it's going to cost $270 + 22 (adaptors) + 30 (postage), which is a joke. I've had Manitou, Progressive, and DSP Ti springs so far (all at far lower prices) and haven't been able to fault any of them, plus they have been lighter than the obtainiums, so to me there is no tangible benefit to justify the cost.

Problem is, no one else seems to be doing those intermediate rates. I'm hoping someone can tell me otherwise.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
You might want to try Marzocchi. I know they make Ti springs, or at least they did last year. I don't know if they make them in 25# increments though. I kind of doubt it since most places don't. The Marzocchi Ti spring is long for a Ti spring, about the same size as a steel coil.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Udi,You say they never reply to your e-mails but only answer 1/3 of the questions?You say over priced,They are the only ones using aerospace grade Ti,Ti designed to be used for springs,offering 25lb increments,the tightest tolerances for rate that you will find.What questions do you have that have not been answered? If I can I will help.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I can't even think of 3 questions to ask about a spring!

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
You say over priced,They are the only ones using aerospace grade Ti,Ti designed to be used for springs,offering 25lb increments,the tightest tolerances for rate that you will find.
does that really offer any appreciable advantage, other than the 25lb increments which may or may not be noticeable to the average joe?

When Obtainium first hit the market they were the best deal around. Now they've priced themselves out of the market.

I sold my Obtainium spring when I changed bikes and went from a 3" stroke to a 2.75" stroke and realized I'd have to buy new adapters because the original Fox ones were to thick. I picked up a Progressive Ti spring off ebay that is 60grams lighter, needs no adapters and I don't have to remove my boost valve adjuster like I had to with the Obtainium because it rubbed.

Last edited:

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
i was going for a Obtainium but at $360 for a Ti spring with preformence adaptors + postage cost:eek:.No thanks

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The Obtainiums are just about the lightest spring you can get. The ability to run it on any shock out there w/ different adapters seems like a huge advantage to me, so you can switch around shocks and still keep your Ti spring.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
davet - thanks, but there's no 275 that will cover a 3.0 stroke unfortunately. I check regularly.

Udi,You say they never reply to your e-mails but only answer 1/3 of the questions?You say over priced,They are the only ones using aerospace grade Ti,Ti designed to be used for springs,offering 25lb increments,the tightest tolerances for rate that you will find.What questions do you have that have not been answered? If I can I will help.
Jim replied about 4 weeks later, after I sent TWO MORE emails (decreasingly polite as you would imagine). In his reply he acknowledged nothing about why I hadn't recieved a reply to my previous ones, even though I asked about it.

I asked for the weight of a 250 spring, a 275 spring, and asked if there was a cheaper shipping option. DSP ships international for $9us (obtainium charges $30us) and Fadi@DSP has given me same-day replies so far. Anyway, the response I got from Jim was about 3 words long stating the weight of the 250 spring (only).

As I said, there is no tangible benefit to all the stuff they wank on about, if you think otherwise IMO you're just buying into marketing BS. I would still [un]happily buy one if the rate I wanted was as light as the competition, but I feel really stupid spending the exorbitant excess AND having a comparatively heavy spring.

The Obtainiums are just about the lightest spring you can get. The ability to run it on any shock out there w/ different adapters seems like a huge advantage to me, so you can switch around shocks and still keep your Ti spring.
They aren't, I've obviously checked this back to back being as anal as I am. I believe for the 250 x 3.0 rate I was running, the weights were 243g DSP 1.43", 300g DSP 1.5", 308g Obtainium 1.5". I only need a 1.43 spring. The price difference is enormous as well.

Also, IMO shock specific springs would be better, because a 1.5" spring is heavier than it needs to be for anyone not running a 1.5" dia shock, and then you add more weight in adaptors (even for the 3" vivid!) . Given that the only real benefit to a Ti spring is reduced weight, it's a bit lame.

Anyway that's my reasoning, but it doesn't help my case haha.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
BOS had Ti springs as an option when I got my shock. Presumably they come in 25lb increments like their steel springs. NFI idea what shock you've got at the moment, so I'm not sure if they'd fit. Ask Nicho I guess.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Pretty sure they don't anymore unfortunately, when I spoke to nicho last, he said that no one is making ti springs to BOS's standards (or something like that) so they only offer steel springs.