Quantcast

> 28 Yerp 82 <

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Windy wind over here, breakfast burritos inbound.

There's an urban dictionary term for that.
At one point in my armored vehicle career I needed to mount two things in the same basic space with two different bolt sizes, one internal, one external. The only good way to do it was with a 3/4" bolt that was bored and threaded from the "shaft side" for a 5/16" bolt, thus the "docking bolt" was born.

I hope whoever reads the manual knows where the name came from.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I know The Internet doesn't entertain this question anymore but I'm looking to break things.

Is it possible for someone to just like smaller-than-29" wheels better, or is it always due to a lack of understanding on my part about how 29 is the best, or not having the correct riding technique for 29ers, or not-progressive-enough-geometry?

The last one is entirely, truly possible.

I do really like the 29er for the long-legged feel for longer rides, but it just doesn't change direction as well as I'd like on the way down. It's fine, just not hilariously amazingly fun like the smaller wheels carving from berm to berm. Back-to-back trials on the Canfield Riot 29 (2017) and Canfield Balance 27.5/26 minimullet (2015) convinced me. This was even after putting offset shock spacers and increasing sag on the 29er in an effort to lower BB height.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I know The Internet doesn't entertain this question anymore but I'm looking to break things.

Is it possible for someone to just like smaller-than-29" wheels better, or is it always due to a lack of understanding on my part about how 29 is the best, or not having the correct riding technique for 29ers, or not-progressive-enough-geometry?

I do really like the 29er for the long-legged feel for longer rides, but it just doesn't change direction as well as I'd like on the way down. It's fine, just not hilariously amazingly fun like the smaller wheels carving from berm to berm. Back-to-back trials on the Canfield Riot 29 (2017) and Canfield Balance 27.5/26 minimullet (2015) convinced me. This was even after putting offset shock spacers and increasing sag on the 29er in an effort to lower BB height.
What's the geo on the Riot like compared to more modern offerings?

Nothing wrong with liking different bikes for different riding though. That's why I've currently got 7 bikes and pondering what to get for #8 :D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's a shorter TT than current, so it's true I'm not all over the front end with a stubby stem. Currently have a 70mm on there, might go to 60.

BB height and HA are around same for the modern incarnation given the lowering bushings. Also have a 140mm fork so front end is not riding particularly high (nor too low...)

Thing is sooo many people insist that 29ers can turn just as well as smaller wheels and the bikes are overall better, so there's no need (well, less of one) for multiple bikes anymore. Again, maybe I need something built in the last 3 years to really feel that. Unfortunately none of the guys I ride with regularly have bikes in the right category for me to borrow. Don't think shops here do rentals but I could check.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

yep. I think 29" wheels are largely undeniably faster. That doesn't mean they are more fun nor the best option for everybody. They do change direction with more difficulty. I have small wheels on my big bike and occasionally ponder building up another 26" wheeled trail bike with fat tires (like 2.5s) for derping in the woods. I don't need to go that fast on the DH bike, as I am old and not racing.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Ignore anyone that is so lost in the 29er sauce that they can't see how smaller wheels would be better for different riders and/or riding styles.

I, for one, am perfectly happy with 27.5" wheels. I was happy with 26" wheels too, in fact. There are notable differences in their performance, but it doesn't make one inherently better than another, it just makes it better for YOU.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
yep. I think 29" wheels are largely undeniably faster. That doesn't mean they are more fun nor the best option for everybody. They do change direction with more difficulty. I have small wheels on my big bike and occasionally ponder building up another 26" wheeled trail bike with fat tires (like 2.5s) for derping in the woods. I don't need to go that fast on the DH bike, as I am old and not racing.
Ignore anyone that is so lost in the 29er sauce that they can't see how smaller wheels would be better for different riders and/or riding styles.

I, for one, am perfectly happy with 27.5" wheels. I was happy with 26" wheels too, in fact. There are notable differences in their performance, but it doesn't make one inherently better than another, it just makes it better for YOU.
Thanks...I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes. I mean I get that they can feel different and have different advantages/disadvantages/characteristics. It's just that some evangelistic types seem committed to convincing me that when done right (by rider/frame manufacturer/whatever) the 29" turn just as well or better than 27.5 along with all their other advantages and so have eclipsed any smaller wheels and erased any advantages they may once have held.

And if someone wants to loan me like a current-year Transition Sentinel to convince me of that, I'd be glad to give it a shot lol.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Thing is sooo many people insist that 29ers can turn just as well as smaller wheels and the bikes are overall better, so there's no need (well, less of one) for multiple bikes anymore.
They are just saying this because they are too poor to own multiple bikes. ;)
I am exclusively on 26" bikes (minus the road, gravel and cross bikes) and cannot see how they are a disadvantage for me in the places that I ride.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It's just that some evangelistic types seem committed to convincing me that when done right (by rider/frame manufacturer/whatever) the 29" turn just as well or better than 27.5 along with all their other advantages and so have eclipsed any smaller wheels and erased any advantages they may once have held.
No way! Between 29" wheels and the modern long and slack geometries, bikes turn like barges these days. If you don't like the feel of a nimble bike that might be good for you.
I am genuinely curious how 26" wheels and modern geometry would feel like. Not 26" wheels put into a 27.5 frame, but properly designed for it. I guess an experiment like that would show how much is geometry and how much wheelsize.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The minimullet setup on my Balance (designed as 27.5 and 26 capable) seems pretty nice. No huge difference from 26/26 but it does feel smoother up front in the same fork, which is a dual-crown I've lowered to the absolute last possible bit of safe clearance.

I'm trying a 27.5 soon as it arrives in the mail and am a little nervous about how it might change things...but I think any new bike I get will be 27.5 or at very least a mullet.

I wonder if the 29er would run better as a mullet...? I guess I can try that now, too. But I can't shorten the chainstays accordingly, soooo that's likely not the answer.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
And now you know why I had that Riot set up as a 27.5" bike. :D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hm maybe mullet is the answer then. I'll be able to mix and match some with my parts now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No way! Between 29" wheels and the modern long and slack geometries, bikes turn like barges these days.

I used to feel this way then I bought a heavy motorcycle a learned to hoon it on tight city streets. Something that is very obvious on a motorcycle but usually not considered on a bicycle is the need to counter steer. The additional gyroscopic stability of a larger front wheel also makes counter steering more effective. Taking that lesson to heart I find I can turn just as quickly with 29 wheels as I do with 27.5, and I occasionally swap between the two setups on my hardtail, it just takes a little more counter steering, a little more force and a different technique. That being said most modern bikes are pretty damn capable no matter the wheel size and it comes down personal preference and IMO is no more of a significant variable than a degree or two of geometry. So pick a size and be a dick about it.

I opted for 29" on the rest of my bikes as in the before times I thought it would offer greater selection in tires/wheels/frames/forks etc. In the Covid times I probably would have gone in a different direction.