Quantcast

> 28 Yerp 82 <

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks...I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes. I mean I get that they can feel different and have different advantages/disadvantages/characteristics. It's just that some evangelistic types seem committed to convincing me that when done right (by rider/frame manufacturer/whatever) the 29" turn just as well or better than 27.5 along with all their other advantages and so have eclipsed any smaller wheels and erased any advantages they may once have held.

And if someone wants to loan me like a current-year Transition Sentinel to convince me of that, I'd be glad to give it a shot lol.
Strokes for folks. I agree that big long 29" bikes turn like barges. You can get some older bikes with steeper HA and shorter wheelbases, but most everybody needs 500mm of reach these days. Nothing is going to be maneuverable when you're way stretched out, but 650b will always be better.

I got on the 29" bandwagon because everything in MA is fixed 2-4" rocks or roots. Rollover is critical with hyper-technical trails. I'd be a happy boy on 2650b on normal, smooth singletrack, which we have none of.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My company just launched a company store. The products are full price and not particularly reasonable ($41 for a hoodie). I enjoy working here but WTF? Do I need a $73 desk dock that says my company name? Give me that shit for free so I can pull it out in 10 years and laugh about how this company is no longer around....sheesh

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My company just launched a company store. The products are full price and not particularly reasonable ($41 for a hoodie). I enjoy working here but WTF? Do I need a $73 desk dock that says my company name? Give me that shit for free so I can pull it out in 10 years and laugh about how this company is no longer around....sheesh
:rofl:

I'd pay extra not to have their stupid logo plastered all over things.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We have one of those but get rewarded with company script that can only be spent at the company store. However one can purchase various gift cards there

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
wow. That’s some forward thinking there.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We have one of those but get rewarded with company script that can only be spent at the company store. However one can purchase various gift cards there
I'm cool with some sort of bio-bucks that you earn by doing good deeds or getting recognition around the office, which you can spend at the store, but not with full price items because I looooove work

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I got on the 29" bandwagon because everything in MA is fixed 2-4" rocks or roots. Rollover is critical with hyper-technical trails.
I'd argue that's the case in flat sections only - which makes it a price i don't want to pay everywhere else where I'm actually having fun.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I am genuinely curious how 26" wheels and modern geometry would feel like. Not 26" wheels put into a 27.5 frame, but properly designed for it. I guess an experiment like that would show how much is geometry and how much wheelsize.
It’s freakin amazing. I ride a 2016 Banshee Spitfire set up with a 160 fork and 26” wheels. It’s the last version that was designed to run both 26 and 27.5 equally well. Just swap dropouts and you can change wheel sizes. It’s got new, low slack geometry with old school wheels. The BB is a ridiculous 12.75” so it corners as easy and as fast as you can think about it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It’s freakin amazing. I ride a 2016 Banshee Spitfire set up with a 160 fork and 26” wheels. It’s the last version that was designed to run both 26 and 27.5 equally well. Just swap dropouts and you can change wheel sizes. It’s got new, low slack geometry with old school wheels. The BB is a ridiculous 12.75” so it corners as easy and as fast as you can think about it.
It looks very updated-Turner to me, which is a good thing. Love the swappable drops idea.

I never much considered Banshee as a brand, since, well, the Scream was the Scream. Which was like a Turner on really bad steroids without exercise.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
It looks very updated-Turner to me, which is a good thing. Love the swappable drops idea.

I never much considered Banshee as a brand, since, well, the Scream was the Scream. Which was like a Turner on really bad steroids without exercise.
Mine:

92C286F7-2242-4573-AADD-9FD275248B76.jpeg

Weird, RM turned the pic on it’s side when uploading from my iPhone ?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
The new version of the Spitfire is quite a bit different and with the shock oriented vertically it looks as though it might be a capable bikepacking rig as well as a trail shredder.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I used to feel this way then I bought a heavy motorcycle a learned to hoon it on tight city streets. Something that is very obvious on a motorcycle but usually not considered on a bicycle is the need to counter steer. The additional gyroscopic stability of a larger front wheel also makes counter steering more effective. Taking that lesson to heart I find I can turn just as quickly with 29 wheels as I do with 27.5, and I occasionally swap between the two setups on my hardtail, it just takes a little more counter steering, a little more force and a different technique. That being said most modern bikes are pretty damn capable no matter the wheel size and it comes down personal preference and IMO is no more of a significant variable than a degree or two of geometry. So pick a size and be a dick about it.

I opted for 29" on the rest of my bikes as in the before times I thought it would offer greater selection in tires/wheels/frames/forks etc. In the Covid times I probably would have gone in a different direction.
What about turning radius? Larger wheelbase + bigger wheels.... unless you scandi flick into every corner, which makes you popular with the trail builder. But I agree, if you have wider and more open trails then a 29er might not be at a disadvantage. :D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Day update:

played a bit of PlayStation

took a nap

0/2 recruiting calls happened: one rescheduled since he was busy on service and the other recruiter just ghosted me

rescheduled my Florida interview to April or so since flight plans weren’t working out

yet to pick up the oontzy dinner

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What about turning radius? Larger wheelbase + bigger wheels.... unless you scandi flick into every corner, which makes you popular with the trail builder. But I agree, if you have wider and more open trails then a 29er might not be at a disadvantage. :D
I was just talking about the difference with wheelsize and the same wheelbase. Longer bikes have a longer turning radius but that just requires more steering input for the same radius. You might have a problem with steering lock with a dual crown but your not having fun on that trail anyway. Now the longer bikes do have an issue just fitting on some really tight trails and 29 wheels do make that worse but I don't see the responsiveness of the geometry being the issue.

I probably couldn't ride any of my current bikes on the trails I rode 20 years ago but that is because of handlebar width not wheel/wheelbase, those trails were built only with leaf blowers. If I still lived there I would probably run slightly narrower bars as there are still narrow tree gaps. The trees here are very large and far apart so not of concern to me anymore.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
20220128_163831.jpg

disappointed the hardcover was damaged in transit and refunded....

i am thinking this might be covered in a another book that deals with conservation corp construction i have somewhere...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Oontzy dinner was very tasty but traffic coming back from there was bad

Left eastern plains at 7:12 pm. Got to house around 8:48 pm iirc, beating Google Maps’ projection by 14 minutes. Very acceptable. Kids now snoozing.