Quantcast

280 miles

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I just finished the longest hike I've ever done. I thru-hiked the Long Trail with a friend of mine. It goes from the northwestern border of Mass. to Canada through Vermont. It goes up many of VT's major mountains: Glastenbury, Stratton, Killington, Abraham, Mansfield, Camel's Hump and Jay Peak are the big ones off the top of my head.

About 280 miles end to end in 20 hiking days. In all, it was the roughest trail I've ever seen and sometimes quite a handful with full packs. We had weather all over the place. It rained about 6 or 7 days total, which often turned the trail into a small stream. Temps ranged from mid 40s to mid 90s. It was tough and fun but I am sure as hell glad to be done.

Maybe I'll get a pic or two up soon when I get home.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Wow good work! How was sleeping in rainy weather? I'd be interested in seeing those pics.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Congrats dude. That is quite the accomplishment. I did it but in sections over the course of a year. It kicked my ass.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
That is awesome...were you staying in the huts along the way? I had a buddy who took a sabbatical from work to hike the AT :eek:

Serious props and would love some pics...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Wow. You read "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson? If not, pick it up. Funny stuff.

Congrats on the hike.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Good job! It's on my to do list.

I volunteered on an AT trail crew up around Danby / Whiterocks for a week in '98. Hardest week of work in my life. One of the best times too.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Well, back home now after a final day in MA at my friend's house. I would like to post a complete photo journal of some sorts but, unfortunately, many of the pics are pretty poor. Crappy weather and a so-so camera made for mixed results. I still have about 1.5 rolls of film to develop (we used film the first few days then got her digital camera) but the digital stuff is ready. Also, we didn't take the camera out much on rainy days...which means the camera didn't come out too much for a few stretches...

We stayed in shelters every night but carried a rainfly and tarp just in case. Most of the shelters are wood lean-to type deals, so at least they get you out of the wind and rain and off the ground. We only had to pay to stay once. Five bucks for 20 nights isn't too bad.

I could type out the day-to-day mileages, but I don't think those are all that interesting. We basically went on a 5 day schedule (one rest or half day w/ a resupply every 5 hiking days). Our longest day was about 18.5 miles, which is probably the farthest I've hiked in a single day ever. I also did my first bit of hitch-hiking, which wasn't bad at all.

The general motto of the trip was "keep moving." Things would hurt, we'd get hungry or tired or whatever, but if we just kept one foot moving in front of the other, it all turned out fine. My knees hurt like hell for about 4 or 5 days, but then got much better for no real reason. My partner's feet fell apart, but it didn't slow us down.

On to the pics, in roughly chronological order.

Me on the bridge over Clarendon Gorge. It bounced quite a bit, but was less "Indiana Jones-y" than some of the other ones...

My friend ate it hard and her trekking pole did not look happy after.

Two of the better/cooler scenery shots we took

Rock steps. Fun!

Probably Killington, but it all looks kind of the same, you know.

Me on the trail up Camel's Hump. A bit scary in parts.

The view from the Hump

One of 5000 sections that got tricky in the wet

Another tricky section. Steep wet roots then over the ladder.

Me on Abraham. What a view we had that day!

The most ghetto ski lift ever. The single chair at Mad River.

The two of us on top of Mansfield. We only have 4 or 5 pics of us together...usually nobody was around.

The one place we paid to stay at- Taft Lodge on Mt. Mansfield. Also the nicest/largest 'shelter' on the trail.

Greens

Rocks on Mt. Laraway

A room with a view...

I just thought this was funny.

Sign on top of Jay Peak.

Our feet on the second to last day. Mine on the right...

My ugly self on the border marker at the end.

Journey's End Road