Quantcast

29.76 lbs Trek Session 88

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
The point was, he works at a bike shop and likes to make sick bikes. These weren’t about a crazy light weight goal but more about the thick clear coat paint jobs.

He knew about the new frame because when he started this project the DH team was already on the new one. He has the carbon swing arm making it a 3.4 kg frame set. The new V10, Commençal, Devinci and Intense are all heavier than that and have the same amount of pivots.
I saw that swingarm in one of his previous builds on Pinkbike. I take it that was only ever team issue?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The new V10, Commençal, Devinci and Intense are all heavier than that and have the same amount of pivots.
Agree on the amount of pivots. The links however are a different matter of argument. You could easily make a complete rear triangle for an XC bike from the amount of aluminum in those monstrous links :D.

Now on the general tone of his builds, I don't find them neither visually pleasing not particularly light or remarkable. They look more like the shenanigans of a spoiled brat.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Didn't get to ride it unfortunately, but it looks absolutely mint in person.
I didn't try it either but I might do when it is available as a rental next summer.

I rented a Commencal Furious this summer, it was good fun and it awoke (awaked?) my willingness to get a DH bike again... we will see where it leads!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I saw that swingarm in one of his previous builds on Pinkbike. I take it that was only ever team issue?
Yeah, I gave Gustav one when we switched the dh team on to the new bike. They were never sold.

Didn't get to ride it unfortunately, but it looks absolutely mint in person.
We have some test bikes from Wednesday on at Crankworx. Last minute trip?

I didn't try it either but I might do when it is available as a rental next summer.

I rented a Commencal Furious this summer, it was good fun and it awoke (awaked?) my willingness to get a DH bike again... we will see where it leads!
Nice! Come back to dh.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'm trying to talk my boss into becoming a Scott dealer just so I can get a deal on the new Gambler. Problem is there's already 2 in town. I don't wanna make friends with those guys but might have to. I already have 2 Scotts I paid retail for and said I'd never do it again.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
I don't wanna make friends with those guys but might have to. I already have 2 Scotts I paid retail for and said I'd never do it again.
You are such a whore. However the new Gambler is looking sweet, so whorish behavior is understandable.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Yeah, it's whore out for a Gambler or take my usual EP price on a V10, Fury, or Kona. My last DH bike (V10.5) was 31.5lbs and I know with bigger wheels the new bike will be heavier so talk of a light new Gambler frame makes that an easier pill to swallow.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Yeah, it's whore out for a Gambler or take my usual EP price on a V10, Fury, or Kona. My last DH bike (V10.5) was 31.5lbs and I know with bigger wheels the new bike will be heavier so talk of a light new Gambler frame makes that an easier pill to swallow.
That was a light build. Any photos?

My V10.6 (with 26s, mind you) is about 33.5 lbs.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
I'm currently on a V10.5 and I'm thinking I'd rather just stick a 27.5 wheel on it up front than get a new bike. I'm never going to find a V10.5 used this pristine again (it was barely used and had been sitting in a garage for two years when I bought it) and I know I'm going to regret it if I let it go.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
That was a light build. Any photos?

My V10.6 (with 26s, mind you) is about 33.5 lbs.
No photos but it was an over the top light build. Carbon rims, bladed spokes, DT 240s, Ti bolts, Formula The Ones, Vivid Air, Fox 40 Air. I did everything I could to make it light while still using DH 2.7 DHFs and a comfortable seat.