Quantcast

29" DH bikes

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Several teams back on 27.5
Several riders back on 27.5, some after testing found they were actually faster on 27.5. Brendan was quicker, Danny says 29 was quicker in testing but didn't feel comfortable and went back to 27.5 (and won his first race back on them).

Looks like the hype is dying out, and teams are finding limits to marketing's input into technical decisions... Racing is the tell all and most honest way to see what works, and it looks like the hype is exposed for the most part as hype.

All the chatter here is mostly correct, in that some people will benefit and some simply wont. Myriam Nicole back on 27.5 for good she says, clearly it's not a faster wheelsize full stop, it's only quicker if you can work it.

Maybe Rob and Claudio can calm down about it now.
Oh c'mon... you really believe that? I dislike 29rs as much as anyone on this board, but IMO, the race to bodge together some 29rs was just that, a race to bodge together a 29r. I don't believe for a second this ends now. I think the companies have seen there are seconds to be gained, and will now get to work designing bikes that address the shortcomings that have been discovered by these experiments (seat closer to the wheel and full compression, less "flickable", less turny etc...). My guess is that over the course of the coming year, a whole host of fully developed 29r DH bikes are going to be released. I hope I'm wrong (though in reality, it shouldn't matter to me at all anymore as I don't own a DH bike, and the likelihood of me getting another one is getting smaller and smaller as time passes), but that's my thought.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my 26" bike just dropped in value, but so did a host of replacement rims and associated tires. looks like I'm sticking with no discernible difference in riding!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yep, companies going back to 650B isn't proof that wheelsize is superior, its proof they rushed their 29er protos together in order to keep up.

I'm hoping Laurie Greenland wins something onboard a 26" Mondraker just so my 26" Gambler retains some kind of resale value....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So now they just can't design 29ers? That's ridiculous. Maybe if tech eventually allows the wheels and tires to have the same rotating mass effect and durability as the current smaller ones, but that's a ways off. These days they aren't designing goofy 29ers with 18.5 chain stays because they were too lazy to design a front D and just extended everything back. I'm sure the DH bikes are pretty sorted, exactly what geometry breakthrough does everyone have in mind? 27.5 will continue to be the best all around for DH and 29ers will be faster on some select courses/situations.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I don't know what you guys are bitching about, in a couple of months I'm going to have a smorgasboard of 220-225mm rotors to choose from.

These days they aren't designing goofy 29ers with 18.5 chain stays because they were too lazy to design a front D and just extended everything back.
Haha, funny you say that - check the chainstay length on the 29" V10 and some of the other new 29er DH bikes. There's a reason none of the companies or marketing articles have mentioned this number.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't know what you guys are bitching about, in a couple of months I'm going to have a smorgasboard of 220-225mm rotors to choose from.

Haha, funny you say that - check the chainstay length on the 29" V10 and some of the other new 29er DH bikes. There's a reason none of the companies or marketing articles have mentioned this number.
That's just one bike, to support your theory all of them would have to be like that. I know the PB&J is not, so that negates your theory. The session is 17.7, so less than 18.5. I'd have to assume for one odd prototypes that they can easily achieve whatever length they want.

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
... in a couple of months I'm going to have a smorgasboard of 220-225mm rotors to choose from.
Not so fast cowboy!

Supposedly, Sram and Trek are working on changing the post mount 74mm to "81mm" to move the caliper up the frame to accommodate bigger rotors. Apparently the rotors are too close to the frame and the mechanics had to get handy in the pits to make them work. The stays now need to have a bend in them so the disc can clear. Trek wants to open the dropouts more to accommodate this (boost 29dh?).
Sram claims that their brakes are 20% stronger now than when 26" wheels were standard so they don't think the disc needs to increase too much. Their new standard will be smaller than 220 but bigger than 203. Rumor from the pits was 214mm discs.

J/K. Possibly?

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Not so fast cowboy!

Supposedly, Sram and Trek are working on changing the post mount 74mm to "81mm" to move the caliper up the frame to accommodate bigger rotors. Apparently the rotors are too close to the frame and the mechanics had to get handy in the pits to make them work. The stays now need to have a bend in them so the disc can clear. Trek wants to open the dropouts more to accommodate this (boost 29dh?).
Sram claims that their brakes are 20% stronger now than when 26" wheels were standard so they don't think the disc needs to increase too much. Their new standard will be smaller than 220 but bigger than 203. Rumor from the pits was 214mm discs.

FUCK THIS SHIT !!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not so fast cowboy!

this doesn't surprise me at all. I can't tell if you're lying. There's no reason they can't simply take 74mm and move it up the fork leg, but why do that when you can force people to buy new calipers as well?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
this doesn't surprise me at all. I can't tell if you're lying. There's no reason they can't simply take 74mm and move it up the fork leg, but why do that when you can force people to buy new calipers as well?
Call it a prediction... But probably not far off from the truth unfortunately.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Oh c'mon... you really believe that? I dislike 29rs as much as anyone on this board, but IMO, the race to bodge together some 29rs was just that, a race to bodge together a 29r. I don't believe for a second this ends now. I think the companies have seen there are seconds to be gained, and will now get to work designing bikes that address the shortcomings that have been discovered by these experiments (seat closer to the wheel and full compression, less "flickable", less turny etc...). My guess is that over the course of the coming year, a whole host of fully developed 29r DH bikes are going to be released. I hope I'm wrong (though in reality, it shouldn't matter to me at all anymore as I don't own a DH bike, and the likelihood of me getting another one is getting smaller and smaller as time passes), but that's my thought.
You do realize the Trek's are actual production bikes, right? So yes, I do believe that Rachel decided on her own will not to race it, as did the rest of the trek team *not* racing on it when its a production bike (barring tall boy gee, who's out), not cobbled together. Oh, Come on... ;)

Where did I say 29er bikes die out this season? I *clearly* said it's the hype that will die out. I *clearly* stated it was quicker if you can work it, which some clearly are doing. I'd predict race teams to offer the choice to their racers in the next year, and the market to include both for a while.

Don't put words in people mouths. Nothing of what I said illustrates that I don't think there will be 29er bikes next season. I know YT is working on one.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You do realize the Trek's are actual production bikes, right? So yes, I do believe that Rachel decided on her own will not to race it, as did the rest of the trek team *not* racing on it when its a production bike (barring tall boy gee, who's out), not cobbled together. Oh, Come on... ;)

Where did I say 29er bikes die out this season? I *clearly* said it's the hype that will die out. I *clearly* stated it was quicker if you can work it, which some clearly are doing. I'd predict race teams to offer the choice to their racers in the next year, and the market to include both for a while.

Don't put words in people mouths. Nothing of what I said illustrates that I don't think there will be 29er bikes next season. I know YT is working on one.
You're right. you said it was the hype that's going to die down. Hopefully you're right. But I still think once the new bikes roll out, there will be a ton of marketing bukkakke, and PB and Vital will be first in line.... I think this is the eye of the hype-storm.

btw, @kidwoo, what frame are you getting to jam your 26" into?!