Quantcast

29" DH bikes

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sizing looks nice not to long....
You sure about that?

Out of curiosity (and boredom) I measured the wheelbase of a Yamaha YZ today at work. It was just shy of 1300mm. So shorter than whatever that 29er DH bike above is. Had smaller wheels (pretty much 26" tyre height) and had a hell of a lot less of this reach BS everyone is suddenly craving MOAR of.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that bike looks beautiful. I know kidwoo would love to beat me with a 29" aluminum rim but I think it looks awesome. Commencal offers decent deals on their bikes too. I'd be up for one, but the six people who still want a 26" bike probably aren't interested in my furry.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
You sure about that?

Out of curiosity (and boredom) I measured the wheelbase of a Yamaha YZ today at work. It was just shy of 1300mm. So shorter than whatever that 29er DH bike above is. Had smaller wheels (pretty much 26" tyre height) and had a hell of a lot less of this reach BS everyone is suddenly craving MOAR of.
Well my bike seat is not 32" long to slide my ass around on and I am also down about 45HP. But my friend that is 6' 5" tall looks like me aboard an 80CC bike and I am 6' even. There may be a reason taller guys haven't won an AMA overall. Looks like I would ride the LG which would be a tad short from what I have been on but those are all trail bikes so...

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
So when are 1,500g 29'er tires coming out? Does anything think they can rely on 29'er DH tires that weigh the same as 26" DH tires? I understand Maxxis is doing folding bead, but that only goes so far to save weight. I kind of feel like the industry is doing to 29'er DH what they did with plus: making rims and tires too light so they don't scare off buyers with weights required for durability. If you want a size XL frame you can have it, but you can't have it at size M weight. The bike industry seems to think we are so stupid to believe we can.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So when are 1,500g 29'er tires coming out? Does anything think they can rely on 29'er DH tires that weigh the same as 26" DH tires? I understand Maxxis is doing folding bead, but that only goes so far to save weight. I kind of feel like the industry is doing to 29'er DH what they did with plus: making rims and tires too light so they don't scare off buyers with weights required for durability. If you want a size XL frame you can have it, but you can't have it at size M weight. The bike industry seems to think we are so stupid to believe we can.
this is the specs from Maxxis for the DH-casing DHF:
upload_2017-12-19_17-2-12.png

how the 29" tires are lighter than the 27.5" tires is beyond me. bead notwithstanding.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
Wait till you ride a 1500g 29er tire. So much win you won’t be able to turn.
This is one of the reasons I never thought we would see 29'er DH bikes. In 27x2.5 DHF Double Down casing maxxis states 1170g. I'm having a hard time seeing how what Maxxis is calling DH isn't just a trail bike casing marketed as DH. Scaled up to 29x2.5 and you barely have the weight of what a DD casing would weigh. My guess is what they are calling DH is a 60tpi version of Double Down. In other words, a trail bike casing.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
29er rolls over everything so there is no risk of pinch flats or tears. :blah:
Totally! Funny thing is 29'ers want to plow, they hate pump and jump line changing riding styles that help avoid pinches. Even if you're skilled enough to pump and jump a 29'er DH bike through the chop, good luck being precise with a wheel base the size of Delaware, and a contact patch as long as a city block. 29'er DH bikes are wrecking balls, not precision tools.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have a pair of DH 29x2.5 DHF's. They're awesome. Heavy af tho. I bet the weights listed are done in a vacuum or something...

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
The best thing about 29'er DH bikes for me is the return of the wheel war. I enjoyed the first two years of the EWS when 26,27 and 29 were all in competition. Also enjoyed the few years we had when 26 and 27 competed at the WC. Of course it all comes down to the rider, but it's still more interesting when multiple wheel sizes are represented.

For those that don't remember, Bryceland took his first win on 26 against all 27" bikes. Clementz took the first EWS title on a discontinued 26'er, Graves took second, also on a discontinued 26". Graves was leading the overall the following year too until all 26"ers were removed from competition. We still haven't seen 29 win an EWS title in the Men's division. I would have guessed 29 would do much better in the EWS compared to the WC but maybe I'll be proven wrong next year? At any rate, it will be fun to watch next year.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
but it's still more interesting when multiple wheel sizes are represented.
It really isn't.

"If I can do like twenny pressups that's gonna make way more difference than if my wheels are two inches bigger"
~ Rafferton