Quantcast

29 transitions

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
More than likely, you need a new frame and fork strictly from a geometry perspective. There are a number of reasons a 26" frame/fork will not work including brake posts (discs will work), tires rubbing frame/fork or not fitting at all.

I do know of people making their 26ers into 96ers where you just put a 29" wheel on the front. This seems to be the best of both worlds, but I think I'll go the way of the 29/29. The last one I saw was a C-Dale F series frame with a lefty on the front. The 29" wheel/tire does not top out on the lower fork crown so the system works. I don't know if the guy modified the fork travel though.

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO
Slider said:
?? what do you mean. I assume if I put 29ers on my bike then my brake post won't work any more is this correct as well.
Sorry, ignore my bad movie references. In most cases you will need a) a 29'er specific frame and b) a 29'er specific fork.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Cool alright here is my next queston I have heard the 29 are kinda floppy in the woods and not so good in tight stuff. Is this true or is it all about frame geometry? Right now I am considering a KarateMonkey what company's make 29" forks

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Cool alright here is my next queston I have heard the 29 are kinda floppy in the woods and not so good in tight stuff. Is this true or is it all about frame geometry? Right now I am considering a KarateMonkey what company's make 29" forks
If you get on a 29er and expect it to feel and react exactly like your 26" bike, then yes, it will feel sluggish and like it won't corner well. After a while you adapt your riding style and it's butter. It goes the other way too. I got back on my small wheels the other day and it felt twitchy and sometimes out of control. But it's because I was riding it like I ride my 29er.