Quantcast

29" Wheel Strengthening

Pexy13

Chimp
Jun 10, 2020
Greeetings!

First of I would like to say that I know my bike isn't the best and it's not realy made for the things I do with it but it's the best I got.
(2015 Fuji Nevada 1.9 fully stock except a shimano deore m6000 1x10 drivetrain and a Rodi back wheel)

I have a "problem" with my rear wheel getting too easily bent. I ride xc trails around my town but with a bit of freeride spirit, aka I like to throw a few jumps and a bit of action on a bank and stuff here and there.

I already changed my rear wheel but since the budget was tight I got a Rodi Blackrock 21 with a XLC evo hub

Since I don't have that much monney to spend and it's not like my wheel is folding in half it just gets a bit wobbly.
Is there a way that I can strengthen my wheel just buy upgrading my spokes and nipples?
If you have any other thoughts feel free to let me know.

Cheers,
Sven

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Depends on what the issue is. Flexy wheel? Tightening up the spokes if below tension can help IME, it’s worked for me in the past. Still flexy? Rim stiffness has a lot to do with it and chances are you aren’t running dinky revolution/laser spokes, so it’s doubtful a spoke change would do anything. If you have a low spoke count, you can’t do anything about that. A beefier rim with higher spoke count is usually the way IME.

if it’s wobbly because of bearings, that’s another issue.

Last edited:

Pexy13

Chimp
Jun 10, 2020
Depends on what the issue is. Flexy wheel? Tightening up the spokes if below tension can help IME, it’s worked for me in the past. Still flexy? Rim stiffness has a lot to do with it and chances are you aren’t running dinky revolution/laser spokes, so it’s doubtful a spoke change would do anything. If you have a low spoke count, you can’t do anything about that. A beefier rim with higher spoke count is usually the way IME.

if it’s wobbly because of bearings, that’s another issue.
The problem is that it gets bent. I true it up and after a few rides it's a bit wobbly again and not because of bearings.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
If it has already gone past its plastic deformation limit, a rim could be trued, but won't stay like that for too long. You'll need to replace the rim with something stronger. If you are on a tight budget, Alex Rims have some decent offerings for a reasonable price.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If it has already gone past its plastic deformation limit, a rim could be trued, but won't stay like that for too long. You'll need to replace the rim with something stronger. If you are on a tight budget, Alex Rims have some decent offerings for a reasonable price.
Another possibility if it spokes keep coming loose is that not enough spoke prep (or equivalent) was used.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not likely. I use anti-seize compound for building my wheels and loosening spokes has never been an issue. Well tensioned and de-stressed spokes will just not not loosen.
Have you ever seen what happens to a wheel built without it? Because spokes coming loose is exactly what happens.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Idk. I’ve heard it said that any metal to metal connection needs some kind of protection or prep really. That makes sense, but in some places we just don’t do it and deal with the consequences. In other spots, it makes a lot of sense. I do use some anti seize these days and have not had any significant issues. As you start slamming a cheap cheese rim and it gets out of true the spokes will detension, not necessarily loosen, but they’ll seem loose.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Idk. I’ve heard it said that any metal to metal connection needs some kind of protection or prep really. That makes sense, but in some places we just don’t do it and deal with the consequences. In other spots, it makes a lot of sense. I do use some anti seize these days and have not had any significant issues. As you start slamming a cheap cheese rim and it gets out of true the spokes will detension, not necessarily loosen, but they’ll seem loose.
it's a best practice for sure, but it is important when you have contact between 2 dissimilar metals. galvanic corrosion. it's the reason i had to cut an alloy seatpost out of a steel frame that one time i didn't use enough grease. galvanic corrosion can also occur when using alloy nipples on carbon rims, but supposedly improvements to the ano process used on nipples has made this less of an issue than it used to be.

thread lock is important anytime a bolt / fastener is subject to vibrations (rotor bolts) and/or constant load cycling (spokes). sure, you might be able to get away without it on spokes (ie lacing them dry), but there aren't any actual mechanical advantages to doing so, other than being lazy.