Quantcast

29er DH Tyres

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
So I just got a new 29er DH bike, the first downhill bike I have owned after a catastrophic experience with a 2015 Demo 8 (fist year of the single sided frame, man I hated that bike, anyway.) It has made me fall in love with downhill again and I couldn't be happier.

I have been out of the DH specific tyre world for a long time so really don't know whats going on. The bike came with Magic Mary 2.35 Addix Soft Super Gravity tyres and they seem good though maybe a little hard for DH racing, maybe more of a park tyre? Or a rear tyre if you need a bit more durability?
I've been running 2.4 DHRII front and rear on my trail bike and like that combo, but they aren't available in Super Tacky compound, only 3C which I seem to remember not being as good back when these things mattered to me. So my questions are.

Should I buy a few Ultrasoft Magic Mary's and run the softs I have on the back?
Is the Maxxis 3C Max Grip up to the standard of the Schwalbe Addix Ultra Soft?
Does everyone hate me for getting a 29er and being part of what is wrong with the industry?

I have already ordered a set of Cush Core's and have a set of the XC ones so will be messing around with them as well, see if I can make tubless work on a downhill bike, I have faith that with the inserts it will be ok.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I agree with you that the orange ones are a little hard if you like sticky tires. I like the Max Grip Assguy, the purple Magic Mary, purple Dirty Dan and the Max Grip DHR2.

what bike did you get?

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I got a Commencal, this one https://www.commencal-store.co.nz/supreme-dh-29-team-c2x28627089
Just been out for laps and had a brilliant time. I do want something stickier on the front though.

Maxxis are easy to get here in NZ and quite well priced so I'll probably get a MaxGrip DHR2 for the front and wear the Magic Mary's out on the rear over the rest of the season.

God damn I hate running tyres from different brands from an aesthetic point though.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Dafuq are you doing with dhrs
Dhf front and rear nao

3c just means that the case and knobs are made of a harder material to prevent knob foldage, (a folding knob is never a good thing) thats one of the "c"s then different compounds are used for center and corner knobs, thats the other two "c"s with max terra both these are a bit stiffer, max grip both a bit softer.

Im pretty much on the fuck max grip and st camp as i tear off all the side knobs immediately. Unless of course the case/size is only avaliable in those compounds

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
What size did you go for? The 2.4 knobs ain't what I'd call short and the side knobs are a chunkier version of the DHF ones which helps them hold on a little longer.
I'm no fan of MaxGrip for trail riding, to slow rolling and fast wearing but when it comes to riding and racing downhill you got to have sticky rubber.

3c just means that the case and knobs are made of a harder material to prevent knob foldage
I know what it is, I run MaxTerra on my trail bike and MaxSpeed on the xc I just remember back when I was last buying dh tyres that the ST ones were preferable to the first gen 3C.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I did.
The short center knobs look like worn out dhfs to begin wirh, was rewlly dismayed to see how shite they lookee after 2 or 3 rides.
Dude. WTAF are you talking about?
Here's a DHF and DHRII I'm just about to fit.
_20200102_184015.JPG

Centre knobs are the exact same height
As Tom explained... the "L" shaped knobs on the DHRII are very slightly wider (the siped rectangular edge knobs are actually the same size on each tyre)

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Dude. WTAF are you talking about?
Here's a DHF and DHRII I'm just about to fit.
View attachment 139765

Centre knobs are the exact same height
As Tom explained... the "L" shaped knobs on the DHRII are very slightly wider (the siped rectangular edge knobs are actually the same size on each tyre)
But they really arent
I dont have a dhr to measure but id bet 5$ that a dhf center knob is at least 0.025" taller than a dhr
download (5).jpeg

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just measured them.
Message me to get my Paypal address
Yeah I just measured too. Brand new, DH casing, 27.5 MaxxGrips in both cases (2.5 DHF/2.4 DHR). Both were 5.24mm on the dot.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
you lost, trying to wiggle out, dont be a bitch, pay the man his money
Yeah I just measured too. Brand new, DH casing, 27.5 MaxxGrips in both cases (2.5 DHF/2.4 DHR). Both were 5.24mm on the dot.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The purple-addix magic mary is excellent and the compound is like glue.
It works really well in the QT bikepark (put a big smile on my face after a few ridiculous saves which should have been crashes), even in dusty conditions, but I find where it beats maxxis is how well it works over a large range of conditions including very wet. I run them in SG casing on both ends of my DH bike. If you can get the purple addix magic in 29 (not sure you can, worth checking) then running that on the front with your oranges as rears until they get used up would work pretty well. Once they're gone, purple both ends is the ticket.

I don't feel the DHR2 is in the same class personally, i'd consider the assguy over that if budget dictates using maxxis. I find the addix purple grips better than maxxgrip, better and softer compounds is why I switched from maxxis - which is still on my trailbike - but for DH I prefer schwalbe. Cheapish on bike24 / other euro online stores.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Good feedback. I have access to wholesale pricing which in NZ really favours Maxxis, actually I think the Mary is cheaper from euroland than it is via the nz distributor. I'll have a quick comparison and also maybe try to get a few people together to put an order in as the shipping is not cheap from Europe to down here.

Yeah you can get the 29er in SG ultra soft.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Good feedback. I have access to wholesale pricing which in NZ really favours Maxxis, actually I think the Mary is cheaper from euroland than it is via the nz distributor. I'll have a quick comparison and also maybe try to get a few people together to put an order in as the shipping is not cheap from Europe to down here.

Yeah you can get the 29er in SG ultra soft.
I have been buying Schwalbe out of Germany for several years.
I can get two delivered with tax (if they don't let it through, which they usually do - so even less tax free) for a few bucks more than a single bought locally with tax. Last time it was a pair from bike discount (bike24?) for 130.00 cdn (no tax) vs 120.00 cdn including tax for a single locally.

Fuck North American Distributors/Wholesalers...
Support your German bike store.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The purple-addix magic mary is excellent and the compound is like glue.

I don't feel the DHR2 is in the same class personally, i'd consider the assguy over that if budget dictates using maxxis.
Those purple 29er Magics are rare AF. Been trying to get them for the missus' bike. It's a ridiculous tyre compound which has saved me more in dental and physio costs than anything out there.

The DHR2 isn't in the same ballpark, its an utterly competent tyre - fine for the rear, but I think its somehow LESS durable than the ultra soft Mary, whilst not being as grippy. It definitely rolls better though. If your trails involve any amount of trying to carry speed rather than steepness I'd leave the Marys on the front only. They're a slow rolling option in the purple for sure, so if thats gonna worry you then be warned. Its a great fun day the first time you hit the trails with a purple Mary on both ends though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm not really on board with the MM love (and don't particularly care for the Assguy either). I've got quite a bit of time on the SG/Purple ones, and while I agree that they have a lot of grip in a lot of situations, I've never figured out their behavior at the limit. They grip pretty well until they don't, and then all bets are off. I'm happier running a DHF or DHR and giving up a little bit in some areas (particularly braking, on the DHF) in exchange for something that feels far more predictable.

The SG/Purple Dirty Dan is a REALLY good wet conditions tire though. Love those. I could see them working well in really loose, blown up dusty stuff too, but don't ride much of that in the PNW so I haven't really tried it.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
OK, dragging this thread back up, any insight on the new Magic Mary's? Are they actually bigger (now 2.4 rather than 2.35)? Is the super dh casing worth looking at now over super gravity since they use a lighter bead?
Since I started this thread I have been using purple mm super gravity and they have been great, but just want to know about the changes before ordering more.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The new 2.4 is definitely bigger than the old 2.35. Measures right around 2.5" actual width on a 30mm rim. Side knobs are a touch bigger as well.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Just ordered 3, went for super gravity over super DH, I'm not that heavy and have found super gravity to work out fine in the past. Might try a super DH without cushcore at some point in the future though.
Hopefully they arrive in time for the local national DH race in 3 weeks.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
i'm running the new (2.4) SG MM (ultrasoft) & big betty (soft, rear) combo currently. impressively grippy in our sloppy winter (vancouver) conditions. carcass is robust as ever (at 1400g for the 29), but works fine (for relatively light me) sans inserts. impressed with the new betty as well - a proper rear compliment to the mm; hooks up nicely, but rolls better, and has proper aggressive cornering lugs (unlike the hans). aaaand can be had for nearly half the price of local retail maxxis from our online german friends.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
i'm running the new (2.4) SG MM (ultrasoft) & big betty (soft, rear) combo currently. impressively grippy in our sloppy winter (vancouver) conditions. carcass is robust as ever (at 1400g for the 29), but works fine (for relatively light me) sans inserts. impressed with the new betty as well - a proper rear compliment to the mm; hooks up nicely, but rolls better, and has proper aggressive cornering lugs (unlike the hans). aaaand can be had for nearly half the price of local retail maxxis from our online german friends.
Same here, really happy with the Betty in orange SG flavor, 650b though. But same riding conditions.