29er Geometry Musings

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Okay,

What do you guys think of a frame set up like this:

1. Seat tube angle 72.5 degrees
2. Heat tube angle of 71 degrees with a 4" fork up front (Reba I guess)
3. 16.9" chainstays (possibly a hair shorter as I'd be running this single speed)
4. 23" or 23.25" Effective Top Tube length (with a nice slope to it, maybe even with an evil sovereign like brace on it)
5. 16" or so seat tube with a long post
5. but here's the kicker - a high bottom bracket - say 13.5"

How do you think something like that would ride?? Would the higher bottom bracket help make it easier to loft the front end up over or up on to logs or rocks and whatnot?

The short stays would help keep the rear wheel under me when I was standing and climbing right?

Whattya think???

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I would not make the bb 13.5" for a hardtail. It just sets you up that much higher on the bike, raising the center of gravity. With a 29er I like to feel like I am "in" the bike rather than "over" the bike. The highest I would go is 12.5".
I would rather have a lower bb and just use good technique to get over logs and stuff in the woods, remember if you are making a single speed you can always run a small front gear like a 29 - 32 for better clearance.
Because of different tire sizes, a nicer way to measure is bb drop, I find 2.75" to be good.
The head angle of 71 sounds good, however I would be tempted to go 70, but I like a slack bike. Seems like a lot of builders are afraid to go that slack, but I think it would feel really good and stable (then agian I am used to riding a dh bike with 65 HA on technical xc trails).
The other measurements look good.
The nicest riding 29er hardtail I have been on is the Gunnar Ruffian (17.5") with a 100mm Reba, it felt nearly perfect (I love steel).
I don't have my Simon Bar built yet, so I can't comment on it yet.
Check out the Gunnar specs here:
http://www.gunnarbikes.com/ruffian29specs.php

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ricky - look at the seat tube angle on the smaller sized Gunnars though. I am not a big fan of those real steep ST angles on small sizes.

I like your bb height comments - maybe somewhere around 12.5-13" is the good compromise height.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
those chainstays are pretty short, you might b sacraficing some tire clearance to get them that short. Should handle well, though your weight is going to be a little further back on the bike, with the slacker angles and shorter stays. I think I would go a little lower on the bb height, and slightly longer in the stays. Ultra short chainstays are overrated imho.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I still think about a 12.5" bb height would be optimal. Maybe just 17" chainstays would get it done as well.

Biggest challenge for me is affording to have something like this built. :(

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
I still think about a 12.5" bb height would be optimal. Maybe just 17" chainstays would get it done as well.

Biggest challenge for me is affording to have something like this built. :(
That's exactly what I'm riding now...it does climb very well.