Quantcast

29er or road?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I don't mind the idea of a 69er nearly as much as trying to justify spending 2500 smackers on a ss bike. You could build an incredibly sick ss 29er for that...even with paying full msrp for parts.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't mind the idea of a 69er nearly as much as trying to justify spending 2500 smackers on a ss bike. You could build an incredibly sick ss 29er for that...even with paying full msrp for parts.
ah, that WTF... I didn't see the price.

For that amount, you could get a custom frame.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

Especially with all the house brand parts on that thing.:shocked:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
just get a CX bike. It'l cover all your bases better then a silly long wheel based 29'r or something with a weird build like the Redline 925.

At this point I'm commuting year round on my CX bike with a flatbar and full fenders no less. I've trail ridden it in the past too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Anyone who sells a SS bike for that much is a rapist. A dirty rapist.
How much do a few derailleurs and shifters cost? People buy $3000 high end hardtails all the time. Why wouldn't a high end SS for $500 less be any worse?

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Here is a viable choice, I have sold a handful of these to be used as do it all commuters, This bike really rocks..

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
How much do a few derailleurs and shifters cost? People buy $3000 high end hardtails all the time. Why wouldn't a high end SS for $500 less be any worse?
Anyone who buys a $3k hardtail can suck a rapists dirty, dirty cock.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
I just picked up a Raleigh XXIX on year-end closeout for $500 from my LBS. Singlespeed, steel, 29" wheels, NO suspension. It does have disc brakes though. Totally transforms the trails I am used to. I rocked a hillclimb yesterday. Shaved a couple minutes off my 19-20 minute average on the Blur LT.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
H8r, I think you are just wasting your time and money. Honestly.

Dont you have a chameleon? Just get some slicks, it will be fine. If you just have to give a way a bunch of money, spend it on a lower back tattoo for your daughter.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
H8r, I think you are just wasting your time and money. Honestly.

Dont you have a chameleon? Just get some slicks, it will be fine. If you just have to give a way a bunch of money, spend it on a lower back tattoo for your daughter.
I've looked into making the Chameleon lighter and easy to commute on, it would cost almost the same as a new budget bike. Seriously.

Z1 FR, cromo cranks and bar, bmx parts, etc...it's not made for lightweight commute riding. Ever try putting slicks on Trailpimp rims?

I hate swapping tires, etc, back and forth too. I want to be able to jump on the Chameleon and hit the dirt right away.

However, I have considered just parting it out and putting off trail riding for the time being. I don't get to go out as much as I want these days anyway.

I am confused.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I don't know how you're comfortable on a large Chameleon, but just throwing some Hookworms or some Larsens on there will amaze you. I ran Hookworms on my Stinky for some street for awhile and loved them.

On my Chameleon they were insanely great.

I have a pair in great shape if you want to try them. And yes they are a pain to change on Outlaws too, but well worth the $10 tip to the LBS mechanic who ripped up 3 of his knuckles. :dancing:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, you should concentrate on making your 1 bike less of a useless piece of crap. :biggrin:
Get some LX/Hone cranks, a deralieur and some rhyno lites on deore hubs ($99) I got a shifter you can have probably.
That way your bike has 2 sets of wheels so you dont have to swap tires, and its also ridable away from city sidewalks and the mall parking lot.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
XL. It's an XL.
WTF? I thought you said it was a large a couple times.

You're welcome to try the Worms, or I'll give you $600 for the Chameleon shipped and you can go buy a gay ass cross bike with Mary bars and we'll both be happy.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
H8R, have you already started commuting using one of your current bikes? If not, do that, see what you do and don't like.

For example, you say that one of your bikes is heavier than you'd like? For commuting, I bet you won't care. I carry clothes, books, lunch, etc., in addition to bike tools and supplies. The weight just doesn't matter.

Try it for a few weeks and that might help you focus.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Hmm...

Something like this, but I don't think the Bianchi is big enough for road comfort.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI304G00-Bianchi+San+Jose+Frame+07+W+Free+Kit.aspx

Price is nice though.

Still looking.
If it fits you that is a nice bike. Definitely okay for some cyclocross, but not real offroad. It'll do, but you should be pretty confident in your technical handling if you decide to take it on real singletrack.

I'm a huge fan of my karate monkey and the Redline MonoCog 29er is pretty similar and quite cheap. A set of slick tires or CX tires and you'll be set for just about any condition.

Those Specialized bikes look pretty nice.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm a huge fan of my karate monkey and the Redline MonoCog 29er is pretty similar and quite cheap. A set of slick tires or CX tires and you'll be set for just about any condition.
Karate Monkey is too much $$ right now. This needs to be hella cheap.

To summarize, I need to keep my mountain bike (currently my only bike) as it is. I can jump on it and bomb down almost anything, and I want it to stay that way.

I want a commuter that can stand some occasional fire road or even smooth single track, as there is some trails on my way to work. Also I will use it for groceries, coffee shops, zombie hunting, etc.

I live near downtown Santa Rosa. My work is in the Sonoma valley, with Annadel Start Park between my place and work.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=annadel+state+park&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

The 29er SS bikes are looking good. I went to Cambria today and looked at the San Jose - to flimsy for my clumsy ass.

And yes, I am SS or die. I love the simplicity and the reliability.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
For example, you say that one of your bikes is heavier than you'd like? For commuting, I bet you won't care.
35 lbs, squishy fork, 2.35 tires w/ big knobs. I care.

It's a beautiful thing on sketchy trails. Not so much when commuting.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yeah - what N8 said - go for the Monocog or the GT Peace. Or Marin is making some nice 29ers now. There must be a Marin dealer or two in California right?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Oh for fvck's sake!!!

Just get a Redline Monocog and move on...

MSRP less then $500.
You are so helpful.

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

Have you ridden it? I need some actual contact w/ the thing or some real world review from someone. I'm not just going to order one blind.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
You are so helpful.

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

Have you ridden it? I need some actual contact w/ the thing or some real world review from someone. I'm not just going to order one blind.
fvck yes I've ridden one... and the 1x9 version too. The Monocog is very popular there. They are excellent bikes

a bit weighty stock but can be fairly cheaply lightened

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
fvck yes I've ridden one... and the 1x9 version too. They Monocog is very popular there. They are excellent bikes

a bit weighty stock but can be fairly cheaply lightened
Thanks.

I'll poke around the north bay shops a bit more, there might be a Redline dealer. I'm not seeing many 29rs in the shops I've been in, aside from some pricey Salsa models at Cambria.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Thanks.

I'll poke around the north bay shops a bit more, there might be a Redline dealer. I'm not seeing many 29rs in the shops I've been in, aside from some pricey Salsa models at Cambria.
that's odd... out local Redline dealer carries them on the floor here.

But then again maybe the 29r revolution hasnt caught on out in Cali yet.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
WTF?

Redline's site says the shop around the corner from my house is a Redline dealer, but the dude there told me they weren't.

:rant: