Quantcast

29er or road?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I need a bike that I can commute with and do general riding on the road and occasionally in the dirt that is reliable and simple.

I'm thinking:

1) 29er single speed w/ a rigid or short travel fork.
2) Single speed cross bike a la Bianchi San Jose. (although those are a bit small)
3) ?????

I'm 6'3" (almost 6'4") and my frame size is "big". (61-63cm or "XL" depending on the make).

Throw suggestions out. I'm open to anything. I don't have anything in particular in mind. Open field.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It depends on how much dirt you want to hit. If are only going to hit the occasional dirt path on a commute I'd go for a roadie or CX bike. If you want to hit more dirt a MTB with small tires might be best. Just keep in mind that the ideal SS gearing is quite a bit different between the road and trail.

Nebraska

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Voluntown CT
I need a bike that I can commute with and do general riding on the road and occasionally in the dirt that is reliable and simple.

When you say commute...are you going to be carring anything with you? Bike bag? Backpack? change of clothes? Books? CPU?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You want an all-around bike? My preference would be to avoid suspension and have multiple gears.

I don't know what the hills and weather (wind, ice, snow) are like for you, but a single-speed might not work full-time. I only use mine about eight months of the year.

How reliable?

If it's that important and you want something versatile, go internal geared hub.

Make sure you have the ability to put wide tires on, if you think you'll need 'em. Doesn't the San Jose and similar SS have relatively narrow spacing?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
If your budget is on the low side - they make the Kona Smoke as a 29er now. That might be a good one to look at.

There are a TON of options now for this type of bike.

I could name a few on the 29er side of the spectrum:

1. Redline Monocog
2. GT Peace
3. Raleigh XXIX
4. Marin has a few 29ers that would fit the bill
5. Surly Karate Monkey
6. Soma Juice
7. You could pick up a Zion 737 for dirt cheap and build it up on the cheap with used parts, a cheap 29er wheelset, some On One Midge Bars or Origin 8 Gary bars (dirt drops) and have a pretty versatile machine.

Oh the options are endless!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Oh the options are endless!
No kidding. That's why I started this thread, so I could get some "real world" feedback on some bikes that RM people are actually riding.

Then my research will be half done.

:monkeydance:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I don't know what the hills and weather (wind, ice, snow) are like for you, but a single-speed might not work full-time. I only use mine about eight months of the year.
Small city then wine country highway then twisty smooth singletrack with occasional fireroads and paths.

And the last few miles of the commute is through a retirement community. It's a virtual ghost town with ZERO traffic.

Temps are never below 20 in the dead of winter at 3am.

No snow. Ever.

I can ride anything here on a single speed (which I have). I just want to do it a bit smoother and faster.

I had a Country Road Bob SS bike a few years ago that was a blast but it was too small.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Do you expect to carry any loads?

If it's you and essentially a change of clothes or whathaveyou, then yeah, if you like a SS, go that route :) Sounds like pretty much any bike will work for you.

I'll just say, don't underestimate the value of a great tail-light. I got the Dinotte and am very happy with it. You'll want a light that drivers can see around a blind curve.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I like my Cronus, its about $600 new retail but its 9speed. It has huge (2.5 maybe?) slick tires the diameter isn't that far off from a road bike just with more cushion.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I'd suggest checking these guys out if you're on a budget - http://www.sebikes.com/2008/bikes.asp

I have the draft and, I believe, LordOpie has the lager. There are plenty of people who'll tell you to avoid hi-ten steel (draft model - the rest are cromo) but I haven't had any issues yet and I'm a big guy. The 29er stout looks decent also. Just throwing a possibility into the mix.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I want to go cheap as possible. I'd even do a Nashbar frame.

:shocked:

Your other bike is/was a Chameleon right?

My vote is for a 29er. Do you want to run v-brakes or discs?

If v-brakes - if you scour around you might be able to find a 2007 GT Peace at a ridiculously low price (probably close to 400 or so). From there you can run 29er mtb tires, 29er fatties, or CX tires/or fat slick tires and be golden.

Or look at what the 2007/2008 Redline Monocogs are selling for around your neck of the woods.

with a bike like that you could easily do a stem/handlebar swap with some of the newer dirt drop bars or On One Mary's or something like that and get multiple hand position options.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'd suggest checking these guys out if you're on a budget - http://www.sebikes.com/2008/bikes.asp

I have the draft and, I believe, LordOpie has the lager. There are plenty of people who'll tell you to avoid hi-ten steel (draft model - the rest are cromo) but I haven't had any issues yet and I'm a big guy. The 29er stout looks decent also. Just throwing a possibility into the mix.
Dude, thanks. Damn those things are cheap.

Hi ten fork though? No way. You'd be amazed at what I've done to a cromo fork.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Do you like drop bars or are you going to stay with flats? I like drops for the road because you can move your hands to different positions. Flat bars make my hands fall asleep.

29er -- You can always slap roadie tires on it. You're limited with a crossbike -- though I was rocking a 42(f)/35(r) combo for awhile.

SS/geared -- not sure how things are up around Santa Rosa, but I use to commute from Napa to Oakville and the winds were brutal -- headwind down the valley to work and a headwind up the valley in the evening. I'm sure glad I had gears.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Dude, thanks. Damn those things are cheap.

Hi ten fork though? No way. You'd be amazed at what I've done to a cromo fork.
I just looked again and it seems the stout is Al with a cromo fork. Well, whatever works. So far, my draft has been on a bit of singletrack and I'm constantly taking it on some pretty nasty roads, curbs, etc., though I'm as gentle as I can be bieng 220lbs. The prices are good and performance carries them, so you could probably find an extra 10-20% off if you go that route.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I just looked again and it seems the stout is Al with a cromo fork. Well, whatever works. So far, my draft has been on a bit of singletrack and I'm constantly taking it on some pretty nasty roads, curbs, etc., though I'm as gentle as I can be bieng 220lbs. The prices are good and performance carries them, so you could probably find an extra 10-20% off if you go that route.
I'm approaching 220 and I am NOT gentle. Or smooth.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I'm approaching 220 and I am NOT gentle. Or smooth.
Haha, well I fluctuate between 215 and about 230 depending on the season and how much I hit the gym. The SE is really the only bike I try to be really smooth on, otherwise it kicks my ass. I ride like a tank on my other bikes though, so I know how it is. I'd go for a 29er, as mentioned by others, over a cross bike if I were in your shoes. I think MMcG tossed in the GT Peace which would be another good option...and it's cromo I think. I'd rather have the room to fit knobbies or semi-slicks rather than buying a bike that won't accept a 2.0.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm 160 and smooth as silk and have done scary things to cheap steel forks. Maybe a short travel DJ style fork is your best and safest choice.
Right now I ride a Chameleon w/ a Z1. With cromo cranks, BB and bars.

And Trailpimp rims.

And a KMC bmx chain.

And yes, it weighs 35 lbs. With only one gear.

:D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
If you've got a Performance Bike near you - pay a visit and see if they have any Large GT Peace's left from 2007s run if you don't need disc brake capability. The frames are nicely made and are cromoly as is the fork.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The GT Peace9er is a great 29" bike. It's got a headtube angle that is set up for an 80mm travel fork. It comes with a long stem and really wide bars. They're not too heavy. And best of all, they have an eccentric BB, so chain tension is an easy thing to work with.

They're cheap too. I think Performance has them for like $450 right now.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Any Redline Dealers nearby?

That way you could compare the Monocog to their 925 model.

Awesome! However, my bike is very similar and I noticed that with fenders, there just isn't much clearance for more than, say, 25c slicks... at least on mine.

MMcG should be a bicycle broker selling advice :)

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
The monocog is a nice bike but after test riding the new one (pictured) a bit, my 220lbs seemed to create a huge amount of flex in the frame. It might not be a big deal, but made me a bit weary.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The monocog is a nice bike but after test riding the new one (pictured) a bit, my 220lbs seemed to create a huge amount of flex in the frame. It might not be a big deal, but made me a bit weary.
Hmm.

I don't like flex. My current bike has like....ZERO flex.

I'm gonna take a look at Cambria Bike after work. They have a store here in Santa Rosa. I've seen some cheap SS bikes in there before, KHS and the like.

Don't tell my wife.
:D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
how about a Specialized Globe Centrum Sport? cheap and simple....I personally think that bike looks dope. Been thinking about getting one myself.

edit: here is a pic