Quantcast

29'er Slicks

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
If you are looking for a true 29" tire that is slick and lite you are out of luck as the only slick that measures up is the 2.35 Schwalbe Big Apple and it weighs in at over 900g. If your rim width is in the lower 20's then you should be able to run about any road/touring tire out there in the 35-45mm range? Not sure what the lightest would be though.

Have you considered just running some aramid bead Nano's? I always thought they rolled pretty well with 45 psi in them.

lovehamr

Chimp
Dec 15, 2006
I dig my Big Apples. But before I had them I used a pair of Specialized Armadilos in 700X28c and they were just how you think they'd be, just like a road bike.

Steve

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Yeah, it's just that I've heard some stories of non-fitting 700c's from time to time. Just wondered if anyone had any sure things.
Just make sure the tire you pick is at least 3-5mm wider than the outside width of your rim. Other than that there is nothing special about it.

Nowheels

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
Philly
I had some Big Apples, but got rid of them as they were just to heavy. Now I just use cyclocross tires in the 700.35 - 45 range for general road riding. The Ritchey speedmax are a nice choice.