Quantcast

29er Suspension

kend

Chimp
Jan 8, 2008
I want to add a suspension fork to my XXIX, any ideas?
What forks have people had issues with?
What forks do people prefer?

The XXIX does not have a suspension corrected fork to start with. This means there will be a significant change in the geometry with a suspension fork. This doesn't mean you can't do it, nor does it mean you will find the handling worse, but you might.

Since the XXIX was not made for long travel forks, if you are going to give it a go, I would suggest going for a shorter travel version, like 80mm.

Having said all that, the best bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned is the RST Air 29. It is far and away a different class of fork than the oem crap most of us have ridden from them. Check them out and order online from RSTMTB.com. The only two 29er suspension forks I've tried are the Reba and the RST. I found the Reba rather noodly. The RST is a tad heavier but in my book I'll take the weight penalty for the more sure-footed ride.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I've got an RST and it is a fantastic value. I also have the XXIX+G, (same frame geo as XXIX) and I have a 44mm offset rigid fork on it now. That is the same offset as the RST M-29. I think the combination should work quite well.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'd go the RST route as GT suggested. I think they make em in 80 and 100mm versions. Perhaps the 80mm model would be a better match for your frame (80mm with 44mm of offset) should still give you decent steering and quickness.

I think those forks are now running about $350 brandy new - not too bad really compared to the competition.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ken - is this Ken from Bristol?

If so, I have a couple of Rebas on a couple of bikes in house right now that you can try. However I still say the RST might be the best bang for the buck and offer the best amount of offset for your XXIX.

Cheers,

Mark

Toddre

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Good Ole CT
Ken - is this Ken from Bristol?

If so, I have a couple of Rebas on a couple of bikes in house right now that you can try. However I still say the RST might be the best bang for the buck and offer the best amount of offset for your XXIX.

Cheers,

Mark

OK OK Fess up, how much stuff do you have? You need to show us all a pic of your garage/work area.....

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
There is a Reba on the Carver Bumblebee and the Soul Dillinger also came with a Reba and a Soul Cycles Rigid fork (pretty nice rigid fork I might add).
Good to hear - I should be getting that Soul Cycles fork in soon. I figure it'll be better to have a running rig than to wait until I can afford a suspension fork.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ahhhhh...gotcha. Nice! That's the color we have here and we'll be riding and testing and reviewing it in this forum. Waiting on parts to repair a wheel damaged in shipping from AZ to CT.

kend

Chimp
Jan 8, 2008
Yes this is me MMcG. I need to get a fork on my 29er bad, guess I've gotten soft riding suspension for so long.

What size bike is the Reba on? I've riddne afew of the other offerings from Rock Shox and had the same issues that Psychic_Pimp mentioned.

I'll PM you set up a test ride.