Quantcast

~29ers Only~

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
We all know the Big Red S doesn't make a 29er, but they make what is arguably the best racing tire for them. These were a Prototype/team tire but due to demand production tires are now available.

:drool:

The Specialized Fast Trak Pro 29″ tire was designed specifically for the world’s premier mountain bike racers. Its exceptional lightweight, low rolling resistance, and large volume combine to make this the fastest cross country tire on earth. Its tightly-spaced center tread with ramped edges guarantee speed, while well spaced shoulder knobs and the large cornering foot print guarantee traction.

Price: $36.99
Size: 29x2.00 inches
Part #0016-0285

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I guarantee this is thier test bubble to see if they launch 29ers in 07' beware the Big StumpJumper

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
A little history behind the Specailized 29" tire:

Filip Meirhaeghe wanted a 29"er for the Olympics in Athens, that's why the tire exist. So after that they were stuck with a tire mold in Taiwan, and it keeps popping up on the year balance as an asset, but representing only $0 production turnover. You can only say "no" for so long...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think the guy who rides that bike with the tires on them rides in the PNW so I'm sure they've been through some wet sloppy rides now and again.

I'd like to give em a shot this summer on the Karate Monkey.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
doesn't look like it would pack up any more than an exiwolf. I've never done a really muddy ride with my exi's, but they've never packed up in loose loam for me.
I'm curious to try a pair on my KM. I may order a set.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
N8 said:
We all know the Big Red S doesn't make a 29er, but they make what is arguably the best tire for them. These were a Prototype/team tire but due to demand production tires are now available.
So this tire that hasn't been out for more than a week or two to the general public is now the best tire for 29ers? Doesn't take much these days does it?

Don't get me wrong, I may very well purchase a 29er in the next few months myself but calling that the best tire with the limited number of people on them seems to be a bit much.

By the way, a tire mold does not cost that much (think less than the cost of your own 29er) and with the numbers the Big S is looking at on a regular basis, it would take a lot of looking to find that on the balance sheet.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mike B. said:
So this tire that hasn't been out for more than a week or two to the general public is now the best tire for 29ers? Doesn't take much these days does it?

Don't get me wrong, I may very well purchase a 29er in the next few months myself but calling that the best tire with the limited number of people on them seems to be a bit much.

By the way, a tire mold does not cost that much (think less than the cost of your own 29er) and with the numbers the Big S is looking at on a regular basis, it would take a lot of looking to find that on the balance sheet.
Wrong-o chump!

There were a large number of prototypes available for the last year.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
N8 said:
Wrong-o chump!

There were a large number of prototypes available for the last year.
I could be mistaken but I thought only 40 of them were distributed to Joe Blow rider. I'm sure there were more than that made but there just aren't many people with much time on them yet. Could be a great tire when all is said and done and I think they've done a good job with the price point to get more people interested. Good thing you don't have to mail a postcard to get your hands on them these days.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Rip said:
The tire could also blow monkey balls.
There have been some reviews given on these over on mtbr.com and overall I think they are getting the thumbs up - especially as a race tire. Are they the best ever - well who knows - and to each his own right?

But I don't think they are going to blow monkey balls. Just another good alternative for 29er riders to consider. Here's hoping for more alternatives down the trail a bit as well. :thumb:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
There have been some reviews given on these over on mtbr.com and overall I think they are getting the thumbs up - especially as a race tire. Are they the best ever - well who knows - and to each his own right?

But I don't think they are going to blow monkey balls. Just another good alternative for 29er riders to consider. Here's hoping for more alternatives down the trail a bit as well. :thumb:

The 29ers are coming!

The 29ers are coming!!

:dancing:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
N8 said:
The 29ers are coming!

The 29ers are coming!!

:dancing:
Chill out there Nate - I'd say that 29ers have been here and will remain here for a long time.

Just another good option for mountain bikers in my opinion.