Quantcast

29'r rims and tires

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Which tires and rims are you running for wet,dry or all round?

I've been running the stock wheel set which was a Mavic open pro sport with maxxis ignitors(2.1) and this weekend I am running Salsa Delgato Disc rims with panaracer rampages

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Our wet season just started up here. The Ignitors worked really well this past weekend even rolling over slick logs once I got the tire pressure where it needed to be.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
I figure by the time Sea Otter rolls around we will have a stack of tires laying off to the side and have narrowed our choices a bit.

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
I would say that the Rampage is the best tire out in the PNW, based on my limited time out here in late fall VT conditions.
The Klaws have been praised as an excellent mud tire, as have the Bontrager Jones ACX. My personal gripe with the Klaws are that they are too narrow for my tastes.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
I would say that the Rampage is the best tire out in the PNW, based on my limited time out here in late fall VT conditions.
The Klaws have been praised as an excellent mud tire, as have the Bontrager Jones ACX. My personal gripe with the Klaws are that they are too narrow for my tastes.
I see the Rampage getting limited winter use for me: Too wide, tread too shallow and the ramped knobs of little use in the WEsTern Oregon slop.

The ACX is OK, marginal on wet roots.

That narrow width of the Klaw is an advantage when the muck gets soft and deeper. It has proven itself in letting you just keep moving forward (or stop) without a lot of sliding off in strange directions.

Thinking the Fire Cross 700x45 may be the hot ticket. Narrower with a very deep aggressive tread.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Where we have been riding so far there isn't any slop. I keep looking to the larger tires because of the number of logs we are crossing and my total lack of skill and grace getting over said logs. Plus the fact that there are so many new larger size tires set to hit the market by this spring and some new wider rims.