Quantcast

%2sday GMT%

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
AC went out last night. Dragged the old window unit out to prevent night sweats.

Narrowed the problem down to a compressor that will not turn, it eventually trips it's internal thermal relay. It has a setup I have never seen before, 3 phase motor on single phase power, uses a large capacitor to shift the phase on the third leg. Either seized, shorted or the capacitor is gone. Will confirm that the cap is not the problem before calling an HVAC guy.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Got caught in a downpour biking in to work today. thankfully, I have a full wardrobe at work, even skivvies. thankfully my son's daycare had plastic bags I could put my wallet and phone in, caus' I got soaked through to said skivvies.

Managed to fix a puncture in a 2-ride old tire last night. A little crazy glue in the hole that was too big for stans to heal. Hopefully it holds. I'll test it out tomorrow night, I'm hoping it holds for my trip to Vermont. Which reminds me...

@johnbryanpeters.... I've rented a farmhouse in Cabot and I'm staying there with my family (two kids), and my brother in laws' family (3 kids). I've been to Warren Falls before and think it might be the best swimming hole on the planet... but it's a little over an hour away. Do you know if there's anything similar closer to Cabot?

I'm planning on riding Perry Hill for sure, at least once. Do you know of any riding in the Cabot neck of the woods? It seems I'm smack in the middle of Perry Hill, Millstone and Kingdom. I'm not going to have tons of time for each ride, maybe 3-4 hours including drive time. I'd love to make it back to Cady Hill, but it seems there's no direct route to Stowe from Cabot... Given my lack of time, I think Kingdom is not worth it, but I think I prefer Kingdom to Millstone. decisions decisions...

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
AC went out last night. Dragged the old window unit out to prevent night sweats.

Narrowed the problem down to a compressor that will not turn, it eventually trips it's internal thermal relay. It has a setup I have never seen before, 3 phase motor on single phase power, uses a large capacitor to shift the phase on the third leg. Either seized, shorted or the capacitor is gone. Will confirm that the cap is not the problem before calling an HVAC guy.
Needs more freons. That'll be $200 please sir.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Dreamt being chased by a Giraffe last night.
I dreamt I was playing trumpet last night. I figure this is a sign I should pick it up again--haven't practiced since my May concert, as I've been understandably busy with the newborn + the toddler.

Got caught in a downpour biking in to work today. thankfully, I have a full wardrobe at work, even skivvies. thankfully my son's daycare had plastic bags I could put my wallet and phone in, caus' I got soaked through to said skivvies.

Managed to fix a puncture in a 2-ride old tire last night. A little crazy glue in the hole that was too big for stans to heal. Hopefully it holds. I'll test it out tomorrow night, I'm hoping it holds for my trip to Vermont. Which reminds me...

@johnbryanpeters.... I've rented a farmhouse in Cabot and I'm staying there with my family (two kids), and my brother in laws' family (3 kids). I've been to Warren Falls before and think it might be the best swimming hole on the planet... but it's a little over an hour away. Do you know if there's anything similar closer to Cabot?

I'm planning on riding Perry Hill for sure, at least once. Do you know of any riding in the Cabot neck of the woods? It seems I'm smack in the middle of Perry Hill, Millstone and Kingdom. I'm not going to have tons of time for each ride, maybe 3-4 hours including drive time. I'd love to make it back to Cady Hill, but it seems there's no direct route to Stowe from Cabot... Given my lack of time, I think Kingdom is not worth it, but I think I prefer Kingdom to Millstone. decisions decisions...
For riding, KT or Millstone if you want enough trail to fill your available time. KT has swimming in river.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

I should have run this morning but I seem to have caught a case of the fuckits. It's so bad that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do very much at all today. Father-in-law comes in tonight for 9 days. :think:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Early ass start this morning. I was on the road at 3:45 should have a cruise day, already took a nice nap. then two back to backs at a two hour gap followed by one more run then done.

on a more someber note my mothers sister died last night so I have to get the house ready to put up some relatives coming to the funeral on Wednesday. she had a good 92 year run. I was not on her A list as I would not bow to her will as family matriarch.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
We had to have the main compressor of our central air unit replaced a couple of months ago. Cost $1500, but that was better than the first guy telling us our entire system needed to be replaced for $8500 (srsly).
which part is the compressor? the part outside? As part of my reno, I will have to move that outside thing. But my AC (and furnace), and is old. The furnace is the original, from 1982. I'm wondering if I should just replace everything, and take advantage of energy efficiency improvements (we budgeted $6000 for the job), or just replace that outside thingy...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
which part is the compressor? the part outside? As part of my reno, I will have to move that outside thing. But my AC (and furnace), and is old. The furnace is the original, from 1982. I'm wondering if I should just replace everything, and take advantage of energy efficiency improvements (we budgeted $6000 for the job), or just replace that outside thingy...

The compressor is part of the the "outside thing". If you move the outdoor unit the coolant lines will need to be cut, which means a complete re-charge of the system.

If you replace the outdoor unit you may also have to replace the evaporator coil as they are typically a matched set.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It was the part inside the house up in the attic. And actually it was the main coil, not the compressor, now that I think about it. The compressor was fine...plenty of air getting pumped but it wasn't cold. The coil was leaking and the guy could feel the leak with his hand. The first guy told us the unit was too old (10 years is too old?) and new coils were unavailable, thus an entirely new system was needed. The guy that fixed it said a new coil is pricey ($1500) but will buy us another 10 years. SOLD.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The furnace is the original, from 1982. I'm wondering if I should just replace everything,
We replaced ours 3-4 years ago. It was the OG unit from 87. We took advantage of the federal rebates at the time to get a fancy 95% efficiency one. IIRC the unit and the install was about 6 grand, but we got a fantastic tax return that year and our winter heating bill dropped significantly. By the time we have to replace it it will definitely have payed for itself.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
wow. what a wonderful community this is. :monkeydance: thanks fellas, that's all very useful info, a great place to start. Now all I need is Toshi's spreadsheet analysis on Google+ and I'll be all set :monkey:

And mandown... man... sucks, sorry to hear it. sounds like you need to build a vicodin shed!

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Morning!

Question... So I applied for a job closer to home, but when they phone interviewed me, it was for a different job as a floater around the region. I don't think there is a chance in hell that this could work in Seattle traffic with my childcare needs and dog health. I'm the last one to leave and the first one home by a couple hours already. And that is my exercise time too. So the question is, do I accept the next, in person, interview, for the sake of interviewing with a really good company and the opportunity to bring up the position that I really want? Or just tell them I don't want to waste their time, but if a more stable position opens up, I would like to apply for it?

on a more somber note my mothers sister died last night so I have to get the house ready to put up some relatives coming to the funeral on Wednesday. she had a good 92 year run. I was not on her A list as I would not bow to her will as family matriarch.
Sorry for your loss :(

For having nerve damage that impairs my ability to feel, I sure am in a lot of pain these days.
Yeah. Thanks recovery. So glad I could regain the ability to feel this. Time to start poping Vicodin like House. Well, not yet but it does seem glamorous.
Is vicodin shed > bong shed in this case? Seems like you should combine them in this case...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So the question is, do I accept the next, in person, interview, for the sake of interviewing with a really good company and the opportunity to bring up the position that I really want? Or just tell them I don't want to waste their time, but if a more stable position opens up, I would like to apply for it?
Who are you interviewing with? If with the hiring manager who is hiring for the position you are not interested in, I would tell them right now that you are interested in a different job.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Of course.
1st: make them want you on board,
2nd: be 100% honest about what you want. You have nothing to lose.
True that.

Who are you interviewing with? If with the hiring manager who is hiring for the position you are not interested in, I would tell them right now that you are interested in a different job.
And also this. The process is really long with this company, I'd only be two interviews in, then I'd have to fly to CA for the next one. From there, to Texas, and then maybe in a month or two I would know. It WOULD be a good springboard position and increase experience in multiple commercial buildings, that is the only pro right now.

And then the plot thickens... my current company offered me a 10% of my yearly salary bonus to stay since I had that one interview... that seals the deal, I think I shall stay where I am!! Love being wanted!!

And... this all happened as I was sitting in Urgent Care with Lucas, who went head first at full speed into a metal table at daycare. A couple stitches later he is all fine, and I realize I don't want to work any further away than I already am