Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Morning.

Supposed to be sunny and in the 40s today :happydance:

Although forcast is calling for snow showers over the weekend :rant:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. Another Tuesday morning, therefore another delve into Matlab code for my ongoing project(s). Then I have to drive all over between two campuses to shuttle stupid IRB paperwork, before driving to yet another hospital for actual work this afternoon.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

It's only Tuesday? Damn...

SO I've gotten a TON of "pointers" as to what the issues with the boat could be. Best part is the guy at Stevens Marine said he wouldn't charge me more than $100 to tell me how much it will cost me to have him fix it. :rofl: I plan to spend a few nights after work trying different things and if I can't get it resolved by Sunday, I'll drag it to the shop and pay someone who actually might know what the hell they are doing.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Morning Monkeys.

It's only Tuesday? Damn...

SO I've gotten a TON of "pointers" as to what the issues with the boat could be. Best part is the guy at Stevens Marine said he wouldn't charge me more than $100 to tell me how much it will cost me to have him fix it. :rofl: I plan to spend a few nights after work trying different things and if I can't get it resolved by Sunday, I'll drag it to the shop and pay someone who actually might know what the hell they are doing.
B.-bust
O.-out
A.-another
T.-thousand $$

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
B.-bust
O.-out
A.-another
T.-thousand $$
I'm saying it now. If I can't get this bitch in the water for less than a grand, it's on CL for twice what I paid and someone else can deal with it.

<edit> I'll put some money into it to both clean it up and try to get it running. It's not a bad looking boat and will look even better when I'm done. But I've got too many other projects that need money, I wanted something I could run for the summer then either sell it, or upgrade it.

But if I can't run it by the end of the month, this pig is gone.

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
yo folks.
had a great interview yesterday. hopefully I will be transferring to a new dept. soon.
tying to figure out what to do this weekend. May go bouldering or skiing or both. In two weeks we are doing the red Rock Rendezvous ClimbingFest & have signed up for some clinics that I am stoked about.
cheers yall.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I'm saying it now. If I can't get this bitch in the water for less than a grand, it's on CL for twice what I paid and someone else can deal with it.

<edit> I'll put some money into it to both clean it up and try to get it running. It's not a bad looking boat and will look even better when I'm done. But I've got too many other projects that need money, I wanted something I could run for the summer then either sell it, or upgrade it.

But if I can't run it by the end of the month, this pig is gone.
Brother, Ebay and Youtube are your best friends when you own a boat like that. Youtube how to rebuild the lower unit, and Ebay for a rebuild kit. Easy breezy actually.

What exactly is it doing???

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Brother, Ebay and Youtube are your best friends when you own a boat like that. Youtube how to rebuild the lower unit, and Ebay for a rebuild kit. Easy breezy actually.

What exactly is it doing???
It runs and revs like a champ out of the water, but under load in either forward or reverse it stalls out above idle. I'm going to check the spark plugs, check for spark, decarb the hell out of it and see if that helps.

The fuel is fresh and clean, but the boat hasn't been out in at least 8 months so it could just be gummed up.

This is my first 2 stroke as well as my first boat. I've been youtubing the hell out of stuff. :fans:

<edit> Also going to check the oil in the lower unit for water/metal.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
It runs and revs like a champ out of the water, but under load in either forward or reverse it stalls out above idle. I'm going to check the spark plugs, check for spark, decarb the hell out of it and see if that helps.

The fuel is fresh and clean, but the boat hasn't been out in at least 8 months so it could just be gummed up.

This is my first 2 stroke as well as my first boat. I've been youtubing the hell out of stuff. :fans:

<edit> Also going to check the oil in the lower unit for water/metal.
Your running lean... Could need a carb rebuild, could just need an adjustment. Two cycles like this one can be finicky, Mine had a manual adjustment, anytime I went to a different location/elevation, I would get out and turn it a touch lean until it would start to do what your describing, then back rich just a touch. New plugs will be your friends every other trip out, 50/1 mix, and Stabil to help mask the ethanol and keep water from absorbing/mixing into the fuel. The Stabil also does wonders for keeping your tank, lines, and carbs very clean. Also it keeps the fuel from phasing out<ethanol from separating> Hope that helps out... Good luck.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I picked up a few cans of powertune and some fuel treatment from the shop.

They have a 2 year old 200hp Merc outboard for sale that's only $2k less than I paid for my Corvette. :panic:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Never used powertune before, let me know how it works out.
It's supposed to be better than the usual gumout and stuff because it also works on salt residue for off-shore boats. It was $14 a can and is sold in marine supply places, I got 2 cans to douse the sh!t out of everything. I hope I don't have to pull the carbs, I hope I can redneck it and just spray the hell out of everything and call it a day.

There was a pretty good writeup on iboats about flushing the carbon out of an outboard. I plan to do it in the driveway before taking it back to the water.

It's supposed to be better than the usual gumout and stuff because it also works on salt residue for off-shore boats. It was $14 a can and is sold in marine supply places, I got 2 cans to douse the sh!t out of everything. I hope I don't have to pull the carbs, I hope I can redneck it and just spray the hell out of everything and call it a day.

There was a pretty good writeup on iboats about flushing the carbon out of an outboard. I plan to do it in the driveway before taking it back to the water.
God forbid you should take it to a competent marine engine mechanic to sort out...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
God forbid you should take it to a competent marine engine mechanic to sort out...
If I can fix it for $40, that is less than it would cost to drag it to a mechanic. I spoke with several shops this week and if I can't get it going, then it goes in to the shop.

Maybe it's just my ego, but I would feel like a total jackass if I took it to a mechanic and he said "Oh, you had a fouled plug, so we changed them all. That'll be $200 parts, labor, troubleshooting".

So for me, the things I CAN check and CAN fix, I will try to eliminate first. If at first I don't resolve it, would $40 in parts/materials and a few hours kill me? Not if it saves me several $$$. They want "no more than $100" to troubleshoot the problem". I feel pretty good spending $40 to give it a shot myself.

But again, it could just be me. I am the same with all my vehicles (moto and pedal). I know the limitations of my skills, tools, and abilities and when to call it a day. Thanks for the vote of confidence. :D

<edit> And even if they find the problem, I may not pay them to fix it based on what it is, what it takes, and how much they want to charge me to fix. :rofl:

Last edited: