Quantcast

2x10 cranks and chainline

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Maybe this should be a question for the SS guys or e13 directly, but I'm shopping for cranks for a 1x10 setup. I plan on running a e13 XCX+ top guide. I'm hoping with the new shadow plus RD, this should be enough chain retention.

My concern is the chainline. The XCX+ guides seem to have a narrow window for chainline. Nominally 50mm.
It looks like if I were to buy a 2x10 crank, especially Shimano, then the chainline of the inner ring would be about 46mm. On the wrong side of nominal for the guide to fix with shims.

Am I totally off on calculating chainline? Does e13 have a solution?
Anybody run a 2x crank on a 1x setup? WHat guide did you get to work? It seems even an LG1 guide would have issues.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I just ordered a xcx.st chain guide and an XT rear derailleur to take the heat off my knee (been SSing it for years). Don't have any of it yet but hopefully things start arriving in the mail soon. Fwiw, I run 2x cranks (SLX & Stylo) SS and never have had any issues with chainline at all.

I do know the xcx is adjustable from 50-53mm or so the website says. I plan on running the guide with a set of SLX cranks. We will see.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah you want a triple or SS crank with the ring in the middle position. So if you're looking at an XT, run a 780, not a 785 for example.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
If you go for the M785 variant, you'll need the CX version of the XCX. Doing just this on two bikes, using the 30t ring in the inner spot, outer ring ground down into a bash ring, and the XCX plastic bits Dremeled and filed to work with the "bash" setup.

Obviously not an issue if you're just going to run the ring. Only bash I've found otherwise is the Homebrewed Components one. Have had one on order since about April now...

Paired with X.9 clutch derailleurs and an 11-36 cassette, it's been working great!

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you go for the M785 variant, you'll need the CX version of the XCX. Doing just this on two bikes, using the 30t ring in the inner spot, outer ring ground down into a bash ring, and the XCX plastic bits Dremeled and filed to work with the "bash" setup.

Obviously not an issue if you're just going to run the ring. Only bash I've found otherwise is the Homebrewed Components one. Have had one on order since about April now...

Paired with X.9 clutch derailleurs and an 11-36 cassette, it's been working great!
That was my exact plan, until I started looking at chainline and the issues I'd have with getting a guide to line up. This bike has no round seat tube, so the CX XCX is out. I've got to go with a d-mount or a BB mount.
I've ordered X9 cranks instead and plan on running a MRP bling ring 30t. Not as light or fancy as XTR but half the price.