Quantcast

3.5" Roco springs?

ryanrider

Chimp
Nov 20, 2007
Bumping this thread to see if anyone else knows where I can find a 3.5" 225# or maybe even a 200#?! Not sure if either of those exist but its worth a shot!

-Ryan

Lumpy930

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
Tacoma
Marzocchi does not make a spring lighter than the 250lbs. Some other manufactures say they do, but I was not able to find anyone able to get one. As far as I know, BOS and Elka are the only ones who make a 200lbs or 225lbs. I think BOS makes some lighter than 200lbs, but I'm not sure.

Go-ride has Elka springs in stock and they have the 200 and 225. It took me 3 days to get my 200lbs spring from Go-ride, and it cost $50 for the spring. Having the right spring made a night and day difference in how my Maelstrom rode, but riding any bike without the proper spring weight will make it fee terrible. Good Luck.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
yeah I'm trying to snag one local if i can. I try my best to support local business but if required I'll order online.

So seeing as we have the same frame. Just curious how much you weigh and what spring you ended up going with.

Thanks.

Lumpy930

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
Tacoma
I weigh about 160 and I went with the 200 lbs spring and it feels great. I have a buddy who has a 225 lbs on his Maelstrom, and it was just a little stiffer. The only downside is the rebound is slightly slower than I would like with the smaller spring, but it is really close. The roco doesn't have much of useful rebound range in stock form, but when I send it in to get serviced, I think I will try to send it to someone who can re-valve it with a better range. On a positive note, the elka spring weighs less than the roco spring. Anyone local who deals Elka shocks should be able to order the correct spring for you. I ordered online because none of the shops around me stocked any of the springs and I needed it ASAP.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I have the same problem with my maelstrom. I have only seen BOS(60 euro) and FOX(similar price; made for rc4 shocks) 225x3.5" springs (elka guys says ,that they have only 200/250lbs springs) You should try to call FOX USA or check Your lbs .I'm talking about steel springs ofc .

ryanrider

Chimp
Nov 20, 2007
So just to clarify, the elka springs will fit the roco? Pretty funny to hear everyone having a hard time setting up their maelstrom too. Did corsair intend to set this thing up for 200+ lb riders?!

-Ryan

Lumpy930

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
Tacoma
Yes, the Elka spring fits the roco. I have one on mine, and I have a buddy who has one as well.

I'm not sure what happened with the shock. It was originally going to have a Revox shock, and that changed to a Roco, so maybe that is why there are a couple of issues with the shock. Apparently, the Elka 5-stage shock doesn't have the slow rebound problem, and is a pretty nice upgrade from the Roco, but the Roco works feels fine to me even with the rebound a little on the slow side. Getting the idler set up, messing with the shock, and re-torquing all the linkages has been a little bit of a hassle, but the bike really does ride well and it is a fun bike to run. I feel like I have everything fairly dialed now, and have not had any other problems lately.

hafnz

Chimp
Jul 25, 2010
BOS has 3.5" springs as low as 187.5lbs, I'm 140-ish lbs and that's what I use on my Maelstrom with an Elka (got it from Tiago79 :)).
I had the spring on the Roco too, before I the Elka, and it fits fine.

From what I remember from reading the specs on BOS and Roco, the Roco uses a 35mm inner diameter spring (like Elka), while the BOS Stoy uses a 36mm, so there will be 1mm of play between the shock collar and the spring, which is minimal.

BOS has 3.5" springs as low as 187.5lbs, I'm 140-ish lbs and that's what I use on my Maelstrom with an Elka (got it from Tiago79 :)).
I had the spring on the Roco too, before I the Elka, and it fits fine.

From what I remember from reading the specs on BOS and Roco, the Roco uses a 35mm inner diameter spring (like Elka), while the BOS Stoy uses a 36mm, so there will be 1mm of play between the shock collar and the spring, which is minimal.

Yeah I am glad it worked out for you. I didnt think I would ever have any use for that spring but here in Makulu country there are several lightweight riders that would love to have had it since BOS is the only company that makes springs that low and since there is no BOS presents here in America they are hard to come by.