Quantcast

3 hikers die from heat exhaustion

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MOAB, Utah (AP) -- Two people have died during separate hiking trips in the rugged southern Utah desert country, one a participant in a wilderness survival course and the other a teenager who got separated from her group in 110-degree heat, officials said.

Another hiker died of apparent heat exhaustion and dehydration in South Dakota's Badlands National Park, the park's chief ranger said.

Dave Buschow, 29, of River Vale, N.J., died Monday night near Boulder, Utah, while taking part in a 28-day survival course offered by the Boulder Outdoor Survival School, Garfield County spokeswoman Becki Bronson said.

Buschow was on the second day of the $3,000 course and in a group of 12 with three staff members. The group was resting near a water source when one of the students noticed Buschow was unusually quiet, Bronson said.

''All day Monday they were hiking in the heat with very little food or water,'' Bronson said. ''He was complaining about lack of water and cramping and still given very little water, and it was still hot.''

Temperatures were in the low 90s in the area, the National Weather Service said.

Bronson said students are intentionally given little food or water to simulate hardship conditions in the course, designed to teach primitive survival skills using limited tools.

School representatives did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

The school's Web site says its field courses teach participants how to survive in wilderness with minimal food, water, clothing and gear. ''Our goal is to take you from a world of convenience and comfort and put you in a situation where you must go 'just a little bit farther' -- past those false limits your mind has set for your body,'' the site says.

On Sunday, Elisa D. Santry, 16, of South Boston, Mass., died on the 16th day of a three-week Outward Bound Wilderness course near Canyonlands National Park. The temperature was about 110, said San Juan County Sheriff Mike Lacy.

Organizers said the girl was with five other teens, ages 16 to 18, hiking through heavy brush to reach rafts waiting for them at the Colorado River.

As they were nearing the river, she had lagged behind, possibly to wait for another hiker, the sheriff's office said Tuesday. The other hiker reached the river but Santry did not show up. She was later found up a small side canyon, the sheriff's office said.

''There was no evidence of foul play,'' said Mickey Freeman, president of Outward Bound Wilderness. An autopsy was planned.

The girl had passed a medical screening before joining the program, the group said. Outward Bound canceled the remaining five days of the program, which included hiking, climbing and rafting. There were 13 other teens participating.

Canyonlands National Park is about 200 miles southeast of Salt Lake City, and Boulder is about 200 miles south of the city.

In southwestern South Dakota, a woman hiking on a short but steep Badlands trail died Sunday, when the temperature was well over 100 degrees.

Other hikers found the body of Joan Kovach, 52, of Canfield, Ohio, Chief Ranger Mark Gorman said.

''Where she eventually gave in, her water bottles were empty and unfortunately she just did not have enough water for the conditions,'' Gorman said. He said people hiking in the park during extreme heat should carry at least a gallon of water.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What I am trying to figure out is if why it costs $3000 for a vacation where all you get is a knife and compass?

Couldn't you just camp out with absolutely nothing and save the money?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
sanjuro said:
Bronson said students are intentionally given little food or water to simulate hardship conditions in the course, designed to teach primitive survival skills using limited tools.
Seems like being a kid having to grow up in Utah would be enough of a hardship in and of itself.

sanjuro said:
''Our goal is to take you from a world of convenience and comfort and put you in a situation where you must go 'just a little bit farther' -- past those false limits your mind has set for your body,'' the site says.
What a bunch of crap... They deserve to be sued into the desert dirt.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
SkaredShtles said:
How an Outward Bound course allows a student to get "separated from the group" is beyond me. :nonono:
Sad truth is, those classes are really hit-or-miss.

I took one with a good instructor, learned a lot, was asked to be an assistant instructor in the next session where I saw that senior (different person) instructor make so many horrible mistakes, one of which nearly killed someone...

I was last in line preventing stragglers when we came up to a bouldering wall to teach. The senior instructor climbed the wall, sat up top to offer instuction. The two other assistants sat down for lunch. I came running up and yelled for people to spot. No one moved. Senior instructor said, "oh, it's an easy 10 foot climb, no one will fall."

Not 30 seconds later, someone did.

Colorado "Mountain" Club my @ss.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
What I am trying to figure out is if why it costs $3000 for a vacation where all you get is a knife and compass?

Couldn't you just camp out with absolutely nothing and save the money?
or maybe you've come up with a good side business.

give me a boat load of money and i'll give you a map and point you to some trails out here.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Skookum said:
What a bunch of crap... They deserve to be sued into the desert dirt.
I'm sure they will be. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't criminal charges filed as well in all or some of these incidents.

It's extremely sad when anyone loses their life to Mother Nature, but it's especially sad when it's a 16 year old. Poor kid hadn't even began to really live yet. My condolences to her parents and loved ones.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I rode the Kokopelli Trail in October with just one cache, and I made one huge mistake: not enough water containers. Luckily I was able to fill at a mountain stream while I still had a half bottle of water, but I learned my lesson about being prepared.

Survival courses are valuable, but how "desperate" you force participants are another thing.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Did any one else notice that the people that died weren't from utard?

That's gotta have something to do with it...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Skookum said:
Any course that is depriving someone from being hydrated is stupid period.
I agree. There's really no way to justify or explain away not giving water to a dehydrated person.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Ciaran said:
I agree. There's really no way to justify or explain away not giving water to a dehydrated person.
sure there is... based on that article I just read/posted, "teaching a kid a lesson about faking it" seems to be a good reason....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
geargrrl said:
sure there is... based on that article I just read/posted, "teaching a kid a lesson about faking it" seems to be a good reason....
Damn woman that article is longer than the books i read! haha

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Skookum said:
Any course that is depriving someone from being hydrated is stupid period.
agreed, however, anyone that goes out there KNOWINGLY without proper hydration could be argued is equally stupid. i wlll be GOD DAMNED if i go on ANY ride/walk/hike/whatever without proper hydration....FVCK THAT. :nope: :nope:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The school's Web site says its field courses teach participants how to survive in wilderness with minimal food, water, clothing and gear. ''Our goal is to take you from a world of convenience and comfort ...
...and then kill you slowly in the hot, blistering, merciless, sun.

Dying during a "Survival Course"... the irony.

That's awful.

Who in the fu@k is running this lunatic circus they're calling a "Survival Course"???

The guy was clearly exhibiting all the symptoms of heat exhaustion on the first day, and yet no one helped him???

WTF?!?!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
geargrrl said:
OK, science question: if it is recommended you drink a gallon of water a day, how much water should you give a dehydrated person so he doesn't die?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ridetoofast said:
agreed, however, anyone that goes out there KNOWINGLY without proper hydration could be argued is equally stupid. i wlll be GOD DAMNED if i go on ANY ride/walk/hike/whatever without proper hydration....FVCK THAT. :nope: :nope:
with all due respect, you can't apply that thinking to the average city dweller. That's just wrong.

I don't know New Jersey, but I'll guess that 29 yo guy has never been further than 100 feet from a water fountain (yes, exaggerating). Point is, you take a class to learn. You assume the instructors know what they're doing (too many don't, but if you're ignorant, how can you possibly know?).

The fault/blame -- based on what little info I've seen -- lies 100% on the school and instructors.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
LordOpie said:
with all due respect, you can't apply that thinking to the average city dweller. That's just wrong.

I don't know New Jersey, but I'll guess that 29 yo guy has never been further than 100 feet from a water fountain (yes, exaggerating).
They don't even let them pump their own gas in that state....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
am curious about how does heat exhaustion happen....

you are like walking around minding your own business when it hits like a stroke???..
or you go walking your temperature rises, you keep pushing while in pain and thirst until you die or fall unconscious until time finishes the job??

the later would be a promising candidate for a darwin award..

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I've been caught out in the desert a few times w/o water and lost in the mid-summer. For work, I spend a lot of time hiking in the middle of nowhere and I know first hand it doesn't take much for isht to go wrong.

Setting down your bag onto a cactus, for instance, can poke holes in your camelbak bladder. Having done that once and severely paying the consequences, I also carry a nalgene as a backup when I go out. It's no fun being 3-5 miles away from your truck with little to no fluids in 100+ degree temps. The desert doesn't provide much shade and it's easy to get disoriented and confused (especially when suffering from heat exhaustion).

Seems as though the "instructors" from these classes are going to have some explaining to do.

MudGrrl said:
There was a basic training troop in the AF that died of too much water (I think this was in 98-99?).

They were always telling us to drink.
Yeah, you can get water intoxication if you're out for a long period of time and constantly drinking. All that really is, though, is the dilution of salts in your body from increased sweating (and urination). Easily solved by having a gatorade or snaking on clifbars or trailmix. This is why people (and dogs) being treated for dehydration are given a saline solution intravenously; taking in large amounts of a hypotonic [water] can actually over-hydrate and burst your blood cells.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ALEXIS_DH said:
am curious about how does heat exhaustion happen....

you are like walking around minding your own business when it hits like a stroke???..
or you go walking your temperature rises, you keep pushing while in pain and thirst until you die or fall unconscious until time finishes the job??

the later would be a promising candidate for a darwin award..
it can be too subtle to recognize on your own.

As for dying from water, yeah, flushing the electrolytes from your body is dangerous.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
macko said:
Yeah, you can get water intoxication if you're out for a long period of time and constantly drinking. All that really is, though, is the dilution of salts in your body from increased sweating (and urination). Easily solved by having a gatorade or snaking on clifbars or trailmix.
They don't hand out gatorade or clif bars in basic training.. Dude was basically doing what he was told, drinking a lot of water, and BAM!