Quantcast

3 or 5 Speed Gearing

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Could someone please help me make one, I want a three speed but 5 would do. I want to use a Shimano 105 rear derailure. I need some basic help making it and very simple.

Something like directions to make food, like all the parts I need and everything else.
I want to use a Hayes Hugi Hub also and it will be going on an Iron Horse Porter.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
needed:

- cogs (surly SS cogs are designed to have 9sp spacing when placed side by side, so you wouldn't need spacers, and you wouldn't chew up your hub)
- spacers

place on cassette body to allow best chainline through the gears, set the limit screws on the derailleur.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
what inbred said OR find a cassette that doesn't use a carrier, I have a Sun Race kicking around but there are others. Tear apart the cassette and select the gearing you want to use within reason or the shifting will definitely suffer. Place the individual cogs on your freehub and use a few spacers to adjust the chainline. I would recommend a stainless steel freehub body since the individual cassette cogs can tear up an aluminum freehub body.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin

MikeB's suggestion. Surly cogs (like i mention) would not require the spacers between the cogs, and would work with an aluminum shell w/o worry of messing up the freehub body.

the orientation of the spacers outside the cogs would vary depending upon the best chainline for your bike.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
That single speed Hadley with 5 cogs is a hot setup. Also check out Profiles. They make a hub with a shorter cassette body designed for just application