Quantcast

3-speed shifter w/2-ring front crankset

thisischri5

Chimp
Oct 14, 2009
ive gone through 2 cheap cranks, truvativ iso flow 3.0 and shimano alivio, either one wasn't able to last me for more than 2 rides. im looking to upgrade to a stronger crankset and ive come across the FSA gravity standard for a good price. my question is..i have a 3 speed sram x4 derailer and the FSA crank is a 2 ring set..is it possible to run this crank with the derailer that i have or will i have to purchase a new derailer(front and rear) to make this work

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
No need to get different deraileurs or shifters.
Set up the front deraileur like normal, but use the upper limit screw to prevent you from shifting past your middle ring. If you aren't sure of how to do this, have your local shop do the work. Many riders have the same setup. It will work just fine.

No need to get different deraileurs or shifters.
Set up the front deraileur like normal, but use the upper limit screw to prevent you from shifting past your middle ring. If you aren't sure of how to do this, have your local shop do the work. Many riders have the same setup. It will work just fine.

Yep! That's what I run also. 2X9

I just use the limit screws and cable tension to set it up and keep it in tune!

You're good to go!

thisischri5

Chimp
Oct 14, 2009
thanks for the quick responses i was wondering which crank set i should go with. What do you guys think? FSA gravity crankset or race face evolve? or any other suggestions would be awesome thanks

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
thanks for the quick responses i was wondering which crank set i should go with. What do you guys think? FSA gravity crankset or race face evolve? or any other suggestions would be awesome thanks
I was in the exact same debate last week. Finally I decided to go with the FSA Gravity ones (not the Light ones). Nice finish, light (compared to my old Truvativ Hussefelt cranks/GigaPipe DHLT BB combo). Maybe it's me, but the cranks feel WAY stiffer than my old setup.

Bottomline: I endorse the FSA Gravity ones.

Last edited:

thisischri5

Chimp
Oct 14, 2009
I was in the exact same debate last week. Finally I decided to go with the FSA Gravity ones (not the Light ones). Nice finish, light (compared to my old Truvativ Hussefelt cranks/GigaPipe DHLT BB combo). Maybe it's me, but the cranks feel WAY stiffer than my old setup.

Bottomline: I endorse the FSA Gravity ones.
thanks a lot im probably gonna go with the gravity as well