Quantcast

30.5mm inner rim width, Wide Trail or nah?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I'm sure this has been beaten like a dead horse here so I apologize for doing this again, don't visit RM as often as i used to.

I am gathering parts to build a new trail bike(170f/160r), which is replacing a bike of the same flavor. Will need new wheels because of Boost and whatnot, in a perfect world I would rebuild my existing wheels in a Boost config(Hadley/ex471), but I had the opportunity to get some I9's at too good of a price to pass on, saving a significant amount of money over my rebuilding my current setup. As you know the 471 is 25mm. I would have preferred their 27mm rim, but living in Pisgah and being 210lbs, i9 recommended the 30.5 for the 20 extra pound weight limit and terrain around here.

I run 2.3 Maxxis Exo's on the 471's, for sure planning on bumping up to 2.5 for the i9 rims. Would any of you guys recommend the Wide Trail tires for a rim of this size? If anything I would prefer not to, several coworkers have them and they just look like plus tires to me which I'm personally just not keen on. But if that's how to make these things ride like a normal mountain bike, then I guess that's what I'll do.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've run both regular 2.5 and WT 2.5 DHFs on 30mm rims back to back. The 2.5 WTs do hold a line better for me on those rims. I've also tried the DHF 2.6 WTs on another bike an hated them, too imprecise.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've also tried the DHF 2.6 WTs on another bike an hated them, too imprecise.
What width rims was that on?
What do you weigh and and what sort of pressures did you run them at?

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
For 30mm you can use whatever you fancy but with 30.5mm I would go for the the wt.. That 0.5mm makes all the difference, I promise!

In all seriousness for me wt made most sense with 35mm and wider rims but works fine with 30 also. There is a little bit of personal preference there. But 30 and up is wt territory for most I believe.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
What width rims was that on?
What do you weigh and and what sort of pressures did you run them at?
185lbs out of the shower. 35mm internal width. They were on a demo bike so my time was limited. I started with them at 24/27 and dropped down to 20/24 (better, not as bouncy). If I had more time with them I likely could have dialed them in more, but they were pretty far off from what I prefer on a trail bike.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I have a 2.4 WT on the front and a 2.3 standard on the rear with 30mm internal rims (both DHR2's, I'd have a 2.4WT on the back if they made it in double down casing) and to be honest they both look fine.