Quantcast

30mm BB92 options?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Turns out I got INDUSTRIED and my new frame is BB92 and not BB95. So, instead of being forced into 24mm cranks, I can use either, including reusing my RF cranks. I'd rather not buy another RF bottom bracket though, so I'm looking for recommendations on better options.

Lots of people offer dual row bearings in press-in cups instead of the plastic shell deal that RF uses.

ROTOR is cheap: http://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/rotor/enduro-mtb/bottom-brackets/bb86/bb86-press-fit-4130.html

e13 is about the same price and has a shell: https://bythehive.com/products/press-fit-bottom-brackets

HOPE has fairly good reviews: http://www.jensonusa.com/Hope-PF41-Press-Fit-30mm-Bottom-Bracket

Wheels and Enduro seem to be about the same, and most expensive: https://wheelsmfg.com/bb86-to-30mm-flanged-dual-row-pressfit-86-92-abec-3-bottom-bracket.html https://www.endurobearingsonline.com/products/bb86-4130

They all seem to be dual row bearings. Any reviews on any?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I found the Hope one for slightly cheaper than the Real World Cycle's version. They are exactly the same, same bearings. In fact, that's all you get with this "BB", just some small bearings, because the shitty standard isn't big enough to fit proper bearings and a sleeve for this spindle size. Looking at BMC (I assume that's what you are getting, it's what you said in the other threads), it looks like they actually do spec 24mm cranksets with the bike, which is how BB92 is intended to work, so option 1 is to run it like it is and use 24mm spindle cranks, newer XTR is great and damn light for what it is. Option 2 is running 30mm cranksets with BB92. Only do this if you have a hard-on for Next cranks or something similar. On my setup, it's definitely creaking now, but still fairly smooth. I have the stock Race Face one and have the Hope sitting in my toolbox as a backup. BB92 was never intended to run 30mm cranks and all the companies that invested in it and then turn around and offered those bikes with Next SL cranks should be slapped in the face AND they should give a life-time supply of BB92-to-30mm bearings to their customers. Basically, they speced a component combination they knew wouldn't work in the long run and was going to be problematic. This is definitely what is wrong with the industry.

I believe Praxis and Wheels Mfg also make some solutions.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Because I'm not a lizard: the Hope (Enduro) ones I have here say DRF 3041 RS on the side of the bearing. I'm nearly certain these are double-row bearings, due to how wide they are.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lol...notice the Enduro bearing is GREEN...
There's also the black one on the bottom. I believe green is ceramic and black is steel. No idea what the hope one looks like. Is it indeed green? There was an mtbr thread where rwc basically confirmed that the hope bb used the same bearings, just without the spacers and crap.

I am considering using the slx crank that I bought rather than returning it. I got all the parts before realiziing the BMC was bb92 instead of 95. It does sound like the 24mm axle is better suited to this particular standard. I just don't know if I want to try and sell my lightly used turbine setup

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There's also the black one on the bottom. I believe green is ceramic and black is steel. No idea what the hope one looks like. Is it indeed green? There was an mtbr thread where rwc basically confirmed that the hope bb used the same bearings, just without the spacers and crap.

I am considering using the slx crank that I bought rather than returning it. I got all the parts before realiziing the BMC was bb92 instead of 95. It does sound like the 24mm axle is better suited to this particular standard. I just don't know if I want to try and sell my lightly used turbine setup
I can take a pic of my Hope bb later if you want.

I've heard stories that bearings for bb92 wear out quicker for a 30mm axle than 24mm because the bearings have a larger ID. Only reason I'm using it is because a new bb was cheaper than new cranks. Plus I really like my e13 xc cranks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Does it do headsets as well? I paid my lbs to install my headset and they did it so my little cane Creek lizard is crooked. Fuckers.
They make a headset version, I think it has a longer spindle and different cups. I'd say get the headset tool then you can buy the bb press cups themselves .

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's also the black one on the bottom. I believe green is ceramic and black is steel. No idea what the hope one looks like. Is it indeed green?
Yep, my point was just that they are exactly the same.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well I decided to fix this the best way I know how complain on the internet. By replacing inferior parts with better...I ordered up a shimano XT bottom bracket for 1/3 the cost and will just run the SLX cranks I already ordered...

Still wouldn't mind input on "good" options for the BB standard.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
well I decided to fix this the best way I know how complain on the internet. By replacing inferior parts with better...I ordered up a shimano XT bottom bracket for 1/3 the cost and will just run the SLX cranks I already ordered...

Still wouldn't mind input on "good" options for the BB standard.
Good call. I have a couple of bikes with BB92 bottom brackets and gave up on trying to cram a 30mm spindle crankset in there. Running Shimano on both, one with the XT bb and one with a Wheels Man. thread-together bb. Both work great.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
The obvious answer is DUB.

People seemed to gloss over and get all fired up about the 28.999 thing but Sram actually did something neat on this. Instead of a cartridge bearing pressed into a shell that gets pressed into your bb they integrated the outer race of the bearing into the shell.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

People seemed to gloss over and get all fired up about the 28.999 thing but Sram actually did something neat on this. Instead of a cartridge bearing pressed into a shell that gets pressed into your bb they integrated the outer race of the bearing into the shell.
Is this so you can not simply/no longer just buy off-the shelf bearings when it fails?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I've heard they designed it so you could use a normal ball size bearing rather than dual row funkiness or inferior sized balls like RF. The problem I have is why not stick with 24mm axle size and run the stupid interface the way it was designed?

PS, I think these 4130 bbs are all bearings with machines lips, which press into the shell. I don't love the idea of pressing metal into a plastic slip for when possible.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
I've heard they designed it so you could use a normal ball size bearing rather than dual row funkiness or inferior sized balls like RF. The problem I have is why not stick with 24mm axle size and run the stupid interface the way it was designed?
you can't do a 24mm aluminum spindle. DUB went with the biggest spindle diameter that could also fit normal bearings (with some kind of seal).

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Titanium cranks.

Is this so you can not simply/no longer just buy off-the shelf bearings when it fails?
With a BSA bb are most people not just buying a whole replacement BB when the original wears out? Sure some people are pressing the bearings out of the cups and just installing a fresh cartridge bearing....but what percent is that? Pretty low I'd bet. So it's the status quo.

Also remember square taper, ISIS, and Octalink? You wen't buying many replacement bearings for these, you were buying the whole unit.

Dec 3, 2007
I figure if the $17 XT fails, I can spring for the $75 wheels setup.
This was my plan as well totally expecting to need the upgrade after a couple months. Fortunately the cheapo plastic Shimano has been noise free and smooth for over a season now. I don't ride in a lot of muck and rain either, so YMMV.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also remember square taper, ISIS, and Octalink? You wen't buying many replacement bearings for these, you were buying the whole unit.
That’s the only time I have not just bought bearings.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
interesting, thanks for the tip.
yeah- i wish they would have explained that better in the launch materials. AND not claimed the 28.99 spindle diameter.

In any case- it seems reasonably thought out IF you get it as OEM equipment or you are buying new cranks for your old bike (you'll need a new bb but who buys $500 cranks and not a new $42 bb?)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
TBH, I didn't read the article. I forgot it even existed until Kidwoo brought it up the other day. I had a good set of cranks and I was under the impression my new frame won't take anything bigger than 24mm, so I didn't care...but it's actually a new standard for a reason, so I can appreciate that.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I have a dub crank/bb on the way for a bb92 frame. Need 165 boost; Shimano isn’t doing anything in that combo and Sram is sold out of 24mm cranks in that combo that I’d consider. Will report back.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
With a BSA bb are most people not just buying a whole replacement BB when the original wears out? Sure some people are pressing the bearings out of the cups and just installing a fresh cartridge bearing....but what percent is that? Pretty low I'd bet. So it's the status quo.

Also, you wouldn't happen to be green with a long slender body and scales would you?

Last edited:

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I had a bike that was held hostage by the BB92. Ended up running one of Race Face's cheap cranks - the Aeffect. 24mm steel spindle, Cinch interface for the ring, and you have to use spacers to set BB pre-load (as it doesn't have the threaded preloader of the 30mm spindle cranks).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm with @Jm_ on this one, you already made the best choice sticking with a set of Shimano pinchbolt cranks and a 24mm axle with reasonable sized bearings. Also agree that XTR is one of the best trailbike crank options, shame no 165/boost as djjohnr points out, but for anyone running 170/boost (or 165/non-boost) it's hard to beat. The whole Shimano BB is stupidly cheap too.

The problem I have is why not stick with 24mm axle size and run the stupid interface the way it was designed?
The problem you have is? :P

With a BSA bb are most people not just buying a whole replacement BB when the original wears out? Also remember square taper, ISIS, and Octalink? You wen't buying many replacement bearings for these, you were buying the whole unit.
Why are you talking about all these completely irrelevant products in a BB92 thread?
This is the 2nd time recently that I've seen you make the biggest crack-head contribution to a thread ever.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also agree that XTR is one of the best trailbike crank options, shame no 165/boost as djjohnr points out, but for anyone running 170/boost (or 165/non-boost) it's hard to beat. The whole Shimano BB is stupidly cheap too.
Am I a monster for running 175 cranks?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have a bent set of XTR 175 2x 11 speed cranks if anyone wants them :D

I friend on vacation with us clipped a rock on a ride last year, thankfully towards the very end of an 8 hour ride as the crank arm wouldn't clear the chainstay afterwards.

Replaced with a set of XT's ordered from jenson for next day delivery.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Am I a monster for running 175 cranks?
Nope, got hones on my trailbike (the steel insert ones) in 170mm, sometimes I get asked what they are
They've been on 6 bikes (since 2006), 5 threaded BBs and the last one PF92 in a carbon frame
If it ain't broke...

Feb 13, 2019
Found this very informative thread while searching for a solution to creaking on my Ibis Tranny. Wheels mfg bb creaks like a mofo.... 70 miles in Utah... all day. 63 miles in Pisgah. Tried different compounds and completely dry installation. About to pull the RaceFace 30mm carbon cranks off and go with 24mm unless someone here believes I can salvage this situation. "Industried" lol

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My SLX cranks and XT BB have been completely silent since day 1. I don't ride a lot these days but the raceface took quite a bit of fiddling before it was quiet. Overall weight was within like 30g between the SLX/oneup ring and RF/cinch ring...if that. The SLX cranks are also drop dead gorgeous, which is a shock.

I sold off the RF cranks and the BB went with the frame, so no update from me on 30mm options.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Interesting thread.... My RF BB92 30mm bearings are on their way out. Now the question is, pull the BB and then pull and replace the bearings or just replace the BB with a new one. Anyone have any experience on how much of a pain in the ass pulling those bearings is going to be? Looks like I'd probably have to drop some $$ on a bearing extractor of some sort so I'm leaning towards just replacing the whole thing since it's relatively cheap.

Don't really want to spring for a whole new 24mm setup right now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Interesting thread.... My RF BB92 30mm bearings are on their way out. Now the question is, pull the BB and then pull and replace the bearings or just replace the BB with a new one. Anyone have any experience on how much of a pain in the ass pulling those bearings is going to be? Looks like I'd probably have to drop some $$ on a bearing extractor of some sort so I'm leaning towards just replacing the whole thing since it's relatively cheap.

Don't really want to spring for a whole new 24mm setup right now.
Yes, replace with Hope or Enduro

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Enduro doesn't seem to have a 30mm version and the Hope 30mm doesn't have an internal sleeve (at least that's what it sounds like from the website) which I find troubling.
Correct, if you run an internal sleeve, there isn't enough space for the bearings with BB92 and a 30mm axle. That's the whole point.