Quantcast

32/16 versus 22/28

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Would there be any difference running a larger ring with a smaller cog compared to a smaller ring with a larger cog, assuming the total tooth count was the same? I'm playing with the idea of going to a SS, but I'm concerned about some of the climbs until I get in better shape. Would pushing a 22/28 be easier than pusing a 32/16?

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
I know I can make most of the climbs in that area running about a 32:18. And yeah, do the math. Total tooth count doesn't matter, the ratio of front:back does. You'll want to run less than a 2:1 to start out with, esp in that area.

A lower gear ratio is easier to push, but you spin sooner on the flats or descents.

Where you could consider two options with the same ratio, like 32/16 and 22/11, there's still a BIG difference: number of teeth engaged. The larger ring/cog combo engages the chain with more teeth at any given time, reducing strain and wear on both the gears and the chain. The little one will grind up the equipment in no time if you ride in dirt, and you will.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
jacksonpt said:
Would there be any difference running a larger ring with a smaller cog compared to a smaller ring with a larger cog, assuming the total tooth count was the same? I'm playing with the idea of going to a SS, but I'm concerned about some of the climbs until I get in better shape. Would pushing a 22/28 be easier than pusing a 32/16?

I think that your math is backwards.

There is a BIG difference.

Think about a normal setup.
Big ring, small in back = Hardest gear
Small ring, BIG in back = your Granny.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
-BB- said:
I think you are asking if a 24/12 will be different than a 32/16 or 42/21
well, out of these three, you would get better chainwrap and better gear wear life with the 42/21 over the 24/12. as for ease? all should be about the same to pedal.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
naz said:
i dont get it, why do people run such low ratios

i run 32-13 on my stp, ratio of 2.6:1 any less id be spinning out at anything faster than walking pace. (i ride park street)
I think it probably depends on the terrain. If I end up going SS, I'll start off runnign a pretty low ratio. I may spin out faster than others, but I'll climb better. If you're in that good of shape, or if the climbing is more modest, you can get a way with higher ratios. I doubt I'll be able to.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
naz said:
....(i ride park street)

That's why. Try riding that ratio anywhere on dirt up a hill and you'll be hurting. Hell, even on flat dirt, unless you're a machine. Not saying you're full of crap, just saying your application is different than what Jackson had in mind.

Also you might want to go bigger front and back. A 13t cog doesn't have much chain wrap. Wear quicker, greater possibility of skipping. I'm assuming you're doing street/park/trialsy type stuff. Not the time when you want your chain to skip