Marzocchi WC Air Shock
Shimano Dur-Ace Ti Cassette 11-23T
Mavic XM 819 UST 32H rims
Sapim CX-Ray Bladed Spokes
Hadley Hubs F&R
Sram PC991 Hollow Pin Chain
Profile 165mm Race Cranks w/ Ti Spindle and Cranks Bolts
25T Profile Ti Sprocket
Custom Chain Guide by Jimbob (MRP's Designer)
Thompson Masterpiece Seatpost
SDG Ti-Fly Saddle
Woodman Deathgrip SL Seatpost Clamp
Syncros Magnesium Mental Pedals
Maxxis High Roller 2.35 UST LUST Tires
Chris King 1.5" Headset

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm just impressed someone's built a 32.2 lb bike with Profile cranks on it.

Nice show bike, but not really a practical race bike build... 819 rims? 2.35 tires? Come on...

I won't rip the air shock though since I've not tried it.
:stupid:

And they're 2.35 Maxxis tires. So 2.2s, tops. I mean, impressive, that's lighter than my 5.5" travel bike, but it seems like it's pushing lightness too far, and is cutting into usability quite a bit.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Change the wheels and shock and I'd be happy to ride one. For now it's a parking lot bike for me. The wheels won't stand under anyone heavier than the bike itself.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So what guys? Fatten it up a bit as suggested and you still hit maybe 35 lbs! That is great!
This is true. I actually think I could get away with the wheels, If I was willing to rebuild them every season. The tires, pair of Conti Der Kaisers, .4# or so heavier. Hope hubs instead of Hadleys would get some of that back. Middleburns with a good BB, normal size chainring and and LG1+ can't be any heavier than the Profile setup. With that done, there's nothing really I wouldn't be OK with.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Change the wheels and shock and I'd be happy to ride one. For now it's a parking lot bike for me. The wheels won't stand under anyone heavier than the bike itself.
I've got your back 50%. For most riders, those wheels wouldn't last long enough for our wallets. But I'm sure there are riders out there light enough and smooth enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

The shock, wouldn't change it. Not a typical DH shock, but Marzocchi makes a great air shock. When I lived in SoCal I once had the opportunity to do back to back runs on the Roco WC and the Roco Air WC. Apart from a little extra stiction in the very beginning of the stroke (and you don't notice it once you're at your sag point), I couldn't tell the difference.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I've got your back 50%. For most riders, those wheels wouldn't last long enough for our wallets. But I'm sure there are riders out there light enough and smooth enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

The shock, wouldn't change it. Not a typical DH shock, but Marzocchi makes a great air shock. When I lived in SoCal I once had the opportunity to do back to back runs on the Roco WC and the Roco Air WC. Apart from a little extra stiction in the very beginning of the stroke (and you don't notice it once you're at your sag point), I couldn't tell the difference.
I know I shouldn't be biased but after my share of air shocks I don't plan to go back for a couple of years at least.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know I shouldn't be biased but after my share of air shocks I don't plan to go back for a couple of years at least.
I've always been skeptical of air shocks, but the Roco is not one I would question. Everyone I know who has one swears by it (and some of them are big guys, I'm talking 250+lbs).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I've always been skeptical of air shocks, but the Roco is not one I would question. Everyone I know who has one swears by it (and some of them are big guys, I'm talking 250+lbs).
It's not the durability I don't like about them as I'm 145-150lbs but the dead feel and the dive.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
When I rode one I had no dead feel, no dive. Very plush, and tracked well. I was astounded.
It may also be the fact that I think the coil roco feels like poo. For me when you intersect a coil poo shock with an air shock that in most cases should be poo I'm very sceptic but maybe if I had the chance to try it I'd change my mind.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You've seen the way I ride, and I got 3 seasons out of a pair of DT 5.1s. The 819s aren't something I'd expect to get years and years of use out of, but I think they'd work for a while.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It may also be the fact that I think the coil roco feels like poo. For me when you intersect a coil poo shock with an air shock that in most cases should be poo I'm very sceptic but maybe if I had the chance to try it I'd change my mind.

What kind of setup work did you do on it? And TST or WC? The WC in particular is super tunable if you take the time to open it up and tinker. I don't have that much time on an Avy or CCDB, but the Roco WC is heaps better than the DHX IMO.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

What kind of setup work did you do on it? And TST or WC? The WC in particular is super tunable if you take the time to open it up and tinker. I don't have that much time on an Avy or CCDB, but the Roco WC is heaps better than the DHX IMO.
I know it's personal preferance and it wasn't 100% tuned for me but it felt dead anytime I tried it. Maybe not overly dead but I like an active back end feeling thats progressive and easy to jump. I know it's not only my complaint as some of the people I know think the same. This may have something in common with the fact I'm not crazy about my 888 rc2x work either.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I saw this on hb cut the course

If I wanted a long travel trailbike, I'd buy a long travel trailbike, but i guess for exhibition purposes, neat.

Not my story or point of view, but relevant to this thread, maybe.

Last edited:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
http://www.site.hbcutthecoursein1990.com/ said:
so there you have it in a nut shell... the eastcoast's dirty little secret... sinister bikes sucks, despite what a bunch of old slow weed smoking good old boys will tell ya. i think they need to admit that if frank designed it, it is probably a turd (a nicely polished turd is still a turd)
As nice as that trail bike is, this was the only thing I could think of when I saw this post. If you can't say anything nice... Let the interwebs say it for you.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That's funny. I ride some Frank designed turds. I've ridden them back-to-back and owned other more-expensive-lesser-turds, and still come back to Franks turds by choice.

Can only take a pissed off blogger so seriously when they are making Star Wars references in the first paragraph. Also the blogger appears to be a pissed off lesbian now living in Norway or something, and extremely bored. Proceed with caution.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I guess his name will never be "Frank the eye pleasing Bike Designer".

Looks like a high school bike build project - in fact that dude with the home made gearbox looks better. No disparaging how they may ride, but honestly looks like gash.

Nice build, hope it works for you.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Looks don't mean sh*t. That's one of, if not THE stiffest single pivot out there.

Where's the video of Frank standing on the side of the swingarm? It only flexes laterally about 1cm.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Looks don't mean sh*t. That's one of, if not THE stiffest single pivot out there.
It is the stiffest SP I have owned. My F is incredible to ride. Honestly I don't like how the bike looks in pictures. I do like how it looks in person. It rides so damn amazing I could care less what it looks like. Looks are for posers. Choose a bike that rides well and be done with it.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Nice IH Jakuza Kumicho haha
I'm loving your build man, looks to be good in more flat and mellow courses like sea otter, A-line, ect. but i wouldn hit the maribor or MSA rock garden with it.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
It's like that guy is trying to be a Maddox, except, he's not funny or witty, just retarded and annoying.
seconded, that site is seriously crap. I think its a chick too?

A more better article that relates to this thread-

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Member-Blog-Your-Bike-is-Too-Light,38

Come to think of it at the end of the day as long as a bike gets ridden then I don't really care how its built. I just think something like a Turner RFX with a 6 or 7in fork would be more suitable.

Last edited:

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand

clarkhmcnutt

Chimp
Sep 5, 2009
HI, I have a Ride-This login but its been so long since I used it, I have forgot it. I didnt build this bike as a race bike, I built it as a all around fun bike. I own a bike shop, so I should be able to play around. I still have my R9 by FTW which weighs in at a respectable 37 lbs. and 2 Project X's from the Spooky days.....so yes the bike is way light but I can ride it uphill if I choose.....I didnt know this was even posted on here till I was image searching.

Thanks
Clark