Quantcast

32 or 36?

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
No one has ever really told me why someone would get a 32 spoke wheelset over a 36? visa versa. 36 over 32? strength vs weight?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Weight is about the only reason to go 32.

My dj bike is the only bike I've got with 36 spoke wheels and based on how little I've had to true them and how much I've beaten the sh1t out of them, I think I made the right choice. I also don't really care how much my dj bike wieghs.

My xc, dh and freeride bikes on the other hand........I want light and all have 32 spoke wheels.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think I remember reading the results of some testing DT did, and they came to the conclusion that 32h wheels are actually a little stronger, but not as stiff. I think they decided this is because the 32h wheels can deform a little more and absorb impacts better. Somthing like that. Let me see if I can find what I'm talking about.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I think I remember reading the results of some testing DT did, and they came to the conclusion that 32h wheels are actually a little stronger, but not as stiff. I think they decided this is because the 32h wheels can deform a little more and absorb impacts better. Somthing like that. Let me see if I can find what I'm talking about.
Where's my 34 spoked wheel:lighten:

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
I ride 36 spoke wheels on all my bikes. I like to defy Gravity sometimes and I'm NOT A SMALL guy at 6'6" and 249 lbs. I used to have to tru wheels all the time with the 32 spoke set up.

I Went to a 36 spoke quality wheel, "EX823 rim on Hope Bulb Hubs" and noticed it to be much stiffer, and not having to tru them up but once or twice a season, rather than once a month has made a huge difference to me.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I think I remember reading the results of some testing DT did, and they came to the conclusion that 32h wheels are actually a little stronger, but not as stiff.
What do you mean by "stronger"? More durable? I'd like to see that test.

36 spokes instead of 32 adds ~20g per wheel and results in a wheel that is 12.5% stronger. Says Sheldon Brown anyway. Sounds like a great tradeoff to me, and that's one reason all my rear wheels are 36h. I believe a 36 spoke wheel to be slightly stiffer, slightly more durable and that much easier to true when damaged. It's not a big difference when you compare it to 32h, but it's substantial when you compare it to 28h for sure. But if you want to save weight you can usually get away with less spokes on the front wheel, and go 36 on the back.

Also, you can lace 36h wheels 4x.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What do you mean by "stronger"? More durable? I'd like to see that test.

36 spokes instead of 32 adds ~20g per wheel and results in a wheel that is 12.5% stronger. Says Sheldon Brown anyway. Sounds like a great tradeoff to me, and that's one reason all my rear wheels are 36h. I believe a 36 spoke wheel to be slightly stiffer, slightly more durable and that much easier to true when damaged. It's not a big difference when you compare it to 32h, but it's substantial when you compare it to 28h for sure. But if you want to save weight you can usually get away with less spokes on the front wheel, and go 36 on the back.

Also, you can lace 36h wheels 4x.
My memory is a little fuzzy on this one, and my somewhat brief search didn't turn up anything. Sorry.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
Thanks for the report on the wheels.
What tires & tire pressure are you using?

Dude,your like Hulk Hogan's size.
I'm running 30 to 40 psi in my Tubeless set up. I ran 30 today out on the ice and snow. Never got loose or out of control. 35PSI seems to be Ideal for me, as I still get traction, and no dents in the rim, going fast over large rocks.

I've had this wheel set since January 2004, and have had it trued up 2 times. No hops, or flat spots in the rims! Best Wheel set I'd say I've even ridden. Oh and no flats either since I got them. Although I run tubeless slime, and have had tons of thorns, but they just seal right up every time.

As for me being Hulk Hogan size..... I said I wasn't a small guy!:lighten: And by the way... I might be interested in your shock in the adds section Mike. I'll pm you if I have the cash for it. I could use a back up shock for my Ram.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
...I've had this wheel set since January 2004, and have had it trued up 2 times. No hops, or flat spots in the rims! Best Wheel set I'd say I've even ridden. Oh and no flats either since I got them. Although I run tubeless slime, and have had tons of thorns, but they just seal right up every time...
Then there's either one of three things wrong here...

1) You're SUPER smooth.
^In that case, I wish I could ride like you.
2) You're not riding hard enough.
3) You're not riding enough.
^In 2, or 3s case, I pity you.
:imstupid:

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
I ride 2 or 3 days a week. I have 3 bikes. A 2007 Giant STP, a Kona Hoss Dee-Lux, and a 2005 Raleigh Ram XT. The EX823'S are on my Hoss trail bike. I ride that bike plenty hard. I do drops on it, and everything else that comes with trail riding.

I do ride smooth as I've ridden since the early 90's."Lots of experience." I do all types of riding. Street, Skate Park, Freeride, DH. You name it, I love all forms of it. I can say the length of life of my wheels, might contribute to the fact that I ride all my bikes, but one might not get ridden one week, and 2 others might, But they all get their fare share of hard use!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Then there's either one of three things wrong here...

1) You're SUPER smooth.
^In that case, I wish I could ride like you.
2) You're not riding hard enough.
3) You're not riding enough.
^In 2, or 3s case, I pity you.
:imstupid:
Lookie a funny, actually there is a fourth reason here

Good wheel Built right the first time. Like i have added in many posts I weigh in at 240, I ride singletracks. Guess what, there three years old, no flat spots dents and never had a pinch flat. Only flat spot I have had was from ar eally bad case, which later i was able to true back without any problems. Sorry but a Properly prestressed and tensioned wheel will last a long time. yeah it will need teh occasional true, but when prestresed right, your not getting anywhere near as much spoke settling as you find with prebuilds.

But in a responce to the OP, it all depends on the wheel. 36 is heavier and stiffer, yes its stronger. But where is it the point of overkill? I run 32 spoke wheels for everything I run, DH FR Road everything. I dont have problems with wheel failure. But then again ALL my wheels are built up properly to begin with