Quantcast

32 Special without the bashguard

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Has anyone run the 32 Special without the bash guard? I am wondering how effective it would be as a chain guide.
All of our crank mounted bashguard systems (SRS+, SRS, STS, SS+, etc) require the use of a bashguard to keep the chain on. The bashguard is used to keep the chain from jumping outward.

In order to keep your chain on the ring, there can't be any place for it to jump other than back onto your chainring teeth.

If you don't want to run a bashguard, you would need to switch to an LG1 parts tree...and modify a bunch of parts (the top slider mostly) to fit around a 32T ring.

The LG1+/LS1+ are designed with slightly smaller sliders so that it has clearance to work down to a 32T ring.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Will we see a revised edition of the 32 Special in the future?
We have considered a 32T specific SRS+, but there isn't enough of a demand for that style guide when most people like the adjustability of the 32-36T version. The 32-36T SRS+ works quite well with a 32T ring as is, so primarily the only difference would be the 5mm or so of ground clearance and looks.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen/theHive

Last edited:

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
That ground clearance is important. Important enough to me to buy a Gamut over an e.13.

I switched from a double ring setup with a Blackspire Stinger and Turbocharger bash to a 1x9 with a Gamut G20, and I clear a lot of things that I hit before.

Would have preferred either an SRS+ or LG-1+, but there was no 32t specific option.

Please make a 32t specific SRS+!

klamsi

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
That ground clearance is important. Important enough to me to buy a Gamut over an e.13.

I switched from a double ring setup with a Blackspire Stinger and Turbocharger bash to a 1x9 with a Gamut G20, and I clear a lot of things that I hit before.

Would have preferred either an SRS+ or LG-1+, but there was no 32t specific option.

Please make a 32t specific SRS+!
:thumb: