Quantcast

320GB SATA HD at $99

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Eh, it's okay. It's just an average "good deal" for a 320gb drive though. Not a steal by any stretch.

The test of a great deal is $0.25/gb or lower. This is ~$0.32/gb.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's not a bad deal, and yes there are plenty of crapy drives out there. As cheap as storage is, I still have like 50G left on my 90G drive now.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
fast smaller harddrive for your OS and main apps. huge harddrives for storage (media/games)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
mtnbrider said:
I need to store Photos. I think I should get 2 big ones. 1 for backing up.
I'd buy one internal drive, and one external drive. If you can swing it, buy a pair of 320gb drives, and an external enclosure.

The external drive will be a good backup, but if you've got a DVD burner, burn a set of your pictures to DVD and keep them off-site somewhere.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
DHS said:
fast smaller harddrive for your OS and main apps. huge harddrives for storage (media/games)

Ding ding ding!

My Mac just got the fast 74 gig Raptor in for the OS & apps, and the slow 500 gig Western Digital for music & movies (oh, and data too:rolleyes: )

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Many people will simply not notice the performance increase of a 10k Raptor drive. The money just isn't worth it unless your computer is pretty fast to start with - there are lots of bottlenecks elsewhere, and you pay a huge premium for that small performance increase of the Raptor drive. Benchmarks usually show Raptor drives to be better performers than real world testing bears out.

Plus, higher platter speeds equals more heat, more noise, and more wear on the drive mechanisms.

Not that they're bad drives, of course, just that most of the population has no need for such a drive - their money would be far better spent on a memory upgrade, or a better backup solution like an external drive or a dual layer DVD burner.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have a dell inspiron 1150. I don't have dvd burner, but I have a regular cd drive (which stopped working). I have to download drivers for stuff from the web.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
someone mentioned backing stuff up, and what i do is use my extra space on my ipod..4gb is usually what it takes, documents, pictures and videos..
i was thinking about investing in an external, or second internal hd and at the end of the week, upload everything onto the old one, just in case of a hd failure.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'd never make a backup on a device as prone to be dropped/damaged/soaked as an iPod.

If all you need is a 4gb backup, save yourself some money and buy a DVD burner, and just burn DVDs.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I run a 10K raptor for OS and a pair of Seagate 300 SATAs for DVD ripping purpose (direct fan/air flow). It's a nice combo as I work w/ 12+ hour long episodes in one sitting. I like using DVD Shrink on files on the HDD. I have 2 machines set up like this and moving 4 gig files from one to the other over GigBit is a lot more tolerable w/ these drives vs pata133... I think I'm going to check out the NCQ controller as the next upgrade. And when the $$ on the 750GB Seagates SATA300s drops...mmmmm

Edit: mtnbrider, I wouldn't use a bunch of smaller drives vs one big one because of power consumption and additional heat production. It's not really critical on a custom build as most I know use WAY too many fans anyway.