Quantcast

32h rim on 28h hub?

the webbster

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Trondheim, Norway
howdy.

i've got a set of mavic crosslink wheels that I've thrashed and been really happy with. I want to set them up on my Ruckus hardtail.

unfortunately I thrashed a little too hard and pringled the front. it's a 28h radial spoked wheel and I am really having troubles finding a rim to build up the wheel with.

i have a 32h 317 around that I want to put on it. has anyone ever tried this? They run 16 spoke wheels so missing a few spokes shouldn't do anything, but how to lace it up?

Alternatively, if anyone has any suggestions on a good freeride rim that comes in 28h disc setup I'm interested.

please help.

thanks,
jw

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ive done 32h hub to 36h rim, sort of the same.

you have to skip a hole in the rim every 90º on alternate sides

you also might end up needing different size spokes, a really good wheelbuilder shouldnt have a problem with doing it, that one time i did that the wheel build outlasted the rim so but conventional wisdom (wheels are VERY conventional) says those builds are weaker by far than normal builds so unless youre building it yourself it might not be worth it with labor as expensive as in norway.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Not a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An expert wheel builder:dead:

#1 A radial laced should not be used for a D/J bike!!!
#2 Modification of a wheel is NEVER a good idea!!!
#3 See rules 1&2!!!

While your at it don't wear a helmet!!!

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
i second the "that's a foolish idea" motion. funny thing is, that i think this question has been asked before.

for the ruckus, just build up new set of wheels that are heavier duty. those specs depend on you size and riding style. for reccomendation, just use the search engine, you'll find plenty of posts on the topic. quick summary of them: hadley hubs are great (but there's no hadley website), dt alpine III spokes are great,straight 14g for the best price , rims favorites: arrow rims, mavic 729 and 721 are good, salsa gordo and sun rhynolites are the best for short cash. handbuilt wheels, if built right, are far superior to machine built ones.

don't worry, your post hasn't been completely hijacked....yet

the webbster

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Trondheim, Norway
I appologise for being a lazy monkey and not searching for a similar thread.

I don't think 'just go out and build a new set of wheels' is exactly valuable advice. not everyone is ready to go out and throw $500 at a new set of wheels just for the sake of it.

I appreciate your concern for my personal safety, but my Ruckus doesn't exactly get 'Rucked' all that much. I use it mostly around town (and I don't mean 'street') and a little freeriding. The wheels held up really well as they where, the only difference with the new setup will be 4 empty eyelets, it's the exact same rim and all.

Point is I'm not about to throw out a perfectly good Mavic hub because I can't find a suitable rim. I am a firm believer in mavic's stuff and the 317 is bomber.

Yes, I'm aware it is not ideal, but I don't feel it will be risking my life. back to my original question, has anyone tried this and/or have any advice one how to build the wheel, 'cause I'm going to do it anyways - SO DON'T TRY TO TALK ME OUT OF IT! :D

One thing that will be messed up is the direction on the eyelets, that was one of my concerns.

thanks again for the 'help'.

jw

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I understand you don't want to throw out a good mavic hub.

But, I think ANY 28 hole rim would be better than a ghetto rigged 32 hole hub.

If you go with the 32 hole, as you mentioned your eyelets will be off, spoke tension will be comprimised, spoke length will be off, crossing pattern will be off, and spoke spacing will be off; all leading to a weak wheel.

Now that I think about it, don't Crosslinks have direct pull spokes (no J bend at the hub) that are specific to Mavic hubs? If so, you have to buy new spokes for the 32 hole rim which I believe are expensive. I'm guessing spokes alone would run in the $30 range?

The more I think about this the more of a hack job it would be an not worth your time and money. You can pick up a Deore/Mavic wheelset for like $150US these days can't you???

the webbster

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Trondheim, Norway
Man, you guys just won't give up trying to talk me out of it!!:D

affirmative on the direct pull spokes. they're a bitch to work with because the turn inside the hub, need to use visegrips. The wheel is radially spoked, I don't see how the spoke length will change that much.

I work in a bike shop, but am no 'wheel wizard'. If nobody has any better advice as to how to DO it, I'm going to lace it up and throw 'er in the park stand and see what happens.

jw.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by the webbster

affirmative on the direct pull spokes. they're a bitch to work with because the turn inside the hub, need to use visegrips. The wheel is radially spoked, I don't see how the spoke length will change that much.

I work in a bike shop, but am no 'wheel wizard'. If nobody has any better advice as to how to DO it, I'm going to lace it up and throw 'er in the park stand and see what happens.

jw.
Were just guys that might know just a little more than you (no offence) and are trying to save you from wasting 4hr or more on a project, that is in the end, going to be really sketchy at best. You'll probably end up just screaming at yourself and wishing you hadn't attempted such a feat. Trust me, wheels can piss you off to no end, and what you're trying to rig up is a task for even a good wheelbuilder. Those Mavic's are a b*tch to build, and using a vise grip will only cause your spokes to fail where you have scored them. This is IF you can get it up to tension with out the spokes coming through the rim or being to short as your really only guessing if the spokes will fit, right? You might be able to get longer nipples to work, but those will probably all break and fail cause you can't line up the offset holes in the rim properly.

and the list go's on.... etc.

Kind understand what your trying to accomplish? Go right ahead if you really want to try... it might work. But were just trying to save you some stress and wasted effort since the odds are kinda against you.

CK Foes

Chimp
Apr 19, 2002
the great northeast
Beleive what they're saying, its not worth your time/money to try and jerry-rig it together, that being said, it is possible, i've done it for another ridier on this board, and the wheel has been going for 3-4 months now, but it is a pain in the arse to do, your going to have to guess on different size spokes for the spokes that will go on the outside of each group of spokes inbetween your empty eyelet. in the end your'll end up with a wheel with a bunch of different spoke lengths, and you'll always be wondering about it in the back of your head. If your going to rebuild the wheel yourself, and you already have to buy a new rim, why not spend the extra 70$ or so to get a hub and some new spokes?

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
If you've got a lot of time on your hands, and aren't going to spend any money on this experiment, go for it. Let us know what happens.

But if you work in a shop, you can get a pretty darn good set of wheels for under $70!?!?!

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by zedro
on an unrelated topic, can i fit a square peg in a round hole?
Sure, with a whole lot of effort and a compromise on strength... anything is possible with the right tools (and the right tools are usually a hammer and a drill :) )

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Rik
Sure, with a whole lot of effort and a compromise on strength... anything is possible with the right tools (and the right tools are usually a hammer and a drill :) )
cool, i wasent sure and i didnt want to spend an extra couple of bucks on a new circular peg for my 3000$ hole unit...:monkey:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

jw.
can you send the hub to Mavic and get them to build up a wheel for you? maybe a deemax rim, it's also 28H so it might be a possibility. if not I think a 70 XT/317 front wheel would suit you better...

dante

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by dante
can you send the hub to Mavic and get them to build up a wheel for you? maybe a deemax rim, it's also 28H so it might be a possibility. if not I think a 70 XT/317 front wheel would suit you better...

dante
yeah i'm surprised nobody brought this up; you can order those specific 28h rims from Mavic, the 28h 823/D3.1 comes to mind.

the webbster

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Trondheim, Norway
Now we're getting to the kind of info I was looking for!!

I've looked on the Mavic site but they don't mention any 28h rims. I know the make them because I have one! (it's just pringle shaped).

I've enquired with the importer, but they didn't have anything in 28. I didn't try that hard though, so maybe I need to try again.

I guess I didn't mention that I already have a 32h 317 rim, that was why I wanted to try the build. how will I know if it doesn't work? as long as I get the nipples to thread alright and the wheel runs true and all that I would be pretty satisfied. but I, as mentioned, don't have the experience to know any better if it looks good. this is how you learn though, right?

I'm going to try the mavic importer again. living in a 'remote' country is frustrating sometimes. the 'LBS' doesn't really exist over here. there are like 30 serious DH/Freeriders in the whole country...

jw

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
I've looked on the Mavic site but they don't mention any 28h rims. I know the make them because I have one! (it's just pringle shaped).

I've enquired with the importer, but they didn't have anything in 28. I didn't try that hard though, so maybe I need to try again.

i know in the distributor catalogues over here theres a special code for it. Why dont you ask Mavic directly? 'Importers' may not necessarily clued in.