Quantcast

35th Anniversary of the sport

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
October 21 of this year marks the 35th anniversary of the day I and a half-dozen friends gathered at the top of a steep hill that we called "Repack" to settle once and for all time who was the fastest dirt downhiller in the world.

As it turned out, the question was never settled, because now it is asked many times each week in locations all over the world.

On these anniversary days there is always a small gathering at the site, and I expect there will be one this year.

While Marin County gets considerable credit for introducing mountain biking to the world, it is far from correct to suggest that the mountain bike was invented here. People rode bikes on dirt as soon as there were bikes, and no doubt a few of them raced downhill, but left no record of their competition. Many others had already come up with the idea of putting derailleur gears onto balloon-tire bicycles long before anyone in Marin County did.

What was "invented" in Marin was the SPORT of mountain biking, and the sport itself developed the bikes we have today. That sport started on that day, and the everything we now call mountain biking can be traced in an unbroken line directly to that event.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
charlie kelly - respect!

amazingly, i've been riding mountain bikes for nearly 3 decades. from a fully rigid, friction shifting canti braked steel klunker to a big travel, carbon fiber gearbox sled; watching the sport evolve over the years has been a fantastic journey. still as passionate about riding bikes offroad as ever.

thanks for the inspiration!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Epic.

*edit* I'm going to go ride an illegal trail on Tam now. Ok, bye.

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
its not a sport...its more of a reason to belong to bulletin boards like this, with such good people to make fun of you.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
charlie kelly - respect!

amazingly, i've been riding mountain bikes for nearly 3 decades. from a fully rigid, friction shifting canti braked steel klunker to a big travel, carbon fiber gearbox sled; watching the sport evolve over the years has been a fantastic journey. still as passionate about riding bikes offroad as ever.

thanks for the inspiration!
Quoted for truth and the same personal experience...aside from that gearbox thing...so far. :thumb: