Quantcast

36.66lb race bike(dual crown, dual ply, steel spring, floating brake)

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
This is/was my race bike for 2 of the 3 races that I made it to this year. It looks like I'll be on a new frame for '09.

Frame: '05 Foes Fly with Curnutt shock and steel 350spring
Fork: '08 Boxxer WC(flat crown) Enduro seals, 2.5wt oil in damper, 110psi(Northwest Bike tech built)
Headset: Race Face Deus
Stem: Sunline Direct mount
Bars: Sunline V1
Grips: Odi Ruffian Lock on
Shifter: Sram XO(modified shift levers) W/Left hand MatchMaker clamp
Cable: Yokozuna Jet lubed housing, Shimano sealed 4mm endcaps, Shimano SS derailleur cable
Derailleur: '05 Sram Xsplat(my der. is old and the XO no longer says XO, it looks like X with a smeered O, we call it Xsplat)
Chain: KMC K10SL
Chainring: Race Face Diablous 36t
Chainguide: Gamut 36T specific
Cassette: Sram/Ultegra modified casette. It started as a 12-27t Ultegra, I've swapped in the light Sram lock ring, 11t cog, and the lower sram cogs up to 15t as they are lighter than the Shimano.
Bottom Bracket: Turavativ ISIS Heavy as F***
Cranks: Bontrager Race Light SS 170mm
Pedals: CrackNFail from something like '05
Seat: Bontrager Race X Light(carbon base, slight padding, Hollow Ti rails)
Seat Post: Bontrager Race X Light ACC
Clamp: Stock Foes
Front tire: Kenda Telonix DH casing 2.5
Rear tire: Tioga Factory DH 2.1R
Tubes: Ultracycle 2.125 standard tubes
Wheels: Northwest Bike Tech custom built sub 1950g wheels
Front Hub: WTB Laser Disc SuperDuty 32h 20mm
Front Rim: WTB Laser Disc Freeride 32h
Front Spokes: DT Swiss Aerolite
Front Nipples: DT Swiss Alloy red anodized
Rear Hub: WTB LaserDisc Superduty 150mm
Rear Rim: WTB LaserDisc Freeride 32H
Rear Spokes: DT Swiss Aerolite
Rear Nipples: DT Swiss Alloy red anodized
Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon
Front Rotor: Hope 203mm Floating rotor
Front Rotor bolts: 6 Ti bolts
Rear Rotor: Avid Somethingorother 160mm
Rear Rotor bolts: 5 Ti bolts
Computer: Trek Incite 11i

Notes: The rear spring is too heavy for me. I'm 6' 150lbs with gear I should be running like a 250spring. I kind of like the stiffer rear suspension. It feels pretty good.

Upgrade before next season:
Pedals: Welgo MG1 Ti. I sold my old MG1's with my Orange P7 and need a new pair
Bashring: Gamut light guard. I've got some sitting in the shop, I'm just not sure on going with black or white.
Chain Ring: Gamut guide ring 36t
Front tire: I'm really liking the Telonix. I'll save some weight dropping to the Freeride casing.
Tubes: I usually run a 24" standard tube, I'll switch back to those when after I get more in stock.
Bottom Bracket: Either an American Classic Split ring or Fsa Platinum Pro maybe the Ti version.
Spring: Curnutt 250 Ti spring or Avy 11x3 rear shock with ti spring.
Stem: Point One Racing
Headset: I usually have a CrankBro's Direct set. I'm waiting on the warrantied one to come back.
Grips: Sunline Thin White lock on
Floating Rod: I'll either remove it or order a Brake Therapy carbon rod.
Front Axle: Custom machined axle, Not a big fan of the Boxxer axle.
Stem Cap: I'll switch out my alloy CrankBros for a carbon FSA with alloy bolt when we next order from FSA
Ti bolts: Ti bolts in the linkage, shock, seat clamp, stem and fork. I'm light and not a hack when I ride. The ti bolts in my rotos, and brakes are holding up great.
Chainring bolts: Red alloy chainring bolts.
Brake Lines: Red Goodridge SS lines
Shifter housing: Nokon Red shift housing with power chords cable.
Cassette: Shimano DuraAce or XTR cassette

Custom machine work will be done to the front brake adapter, linkage, and rear brake mount. I have a friend who co-owns a machine shop and we've discussed stress risers and decided that machining sections out of the specidied ares will not cause a significant enough stress riser to cause any issues. Stress analysis says there will be a rise in stress but VERY minimal.

It's about time for another complete teardown/rebuild on the fork. I got the '08 Boxxer in July of '07 waiting on my M3 to arrive. I've got 2 seasons on it. I'll order new lowers, all seals, and upgrade the oil from the poo Finishline in it. I usually use the Finish line in lower end forks that come in for repair to keep costs down. Upper end forks typically get Buzzy's shock oil, however I only the the FinishLine in 2.5wt so I've been using that without problems. I think I'll swap the Speedstack back in too.

I should drop down close to 35.5lbs with the changes.

I know I'll get heckled for a dirty bike. I'll say it before ya'll get a chance to give me a bad time. I rode 3 times this week and didn't get a chance to wash it between rides. It's usually spotless, super clean and excessively dialed. However, due to cancer, apendectomy, chronic sickness, opening a new bike shop, and chronic illness, 60% lung capacity combined with asthma closing off what little air I can get, and extremly strong acid reflux clinching my lungs even tighter, I've had no time at all. The docotr banned me from riding for about 3-4 months and doing any physical activity. Heck riding 3 times in a week is more than I've rode in the last 4-5months.
The doctor finally said I can get back on the bike last week.
I'll wash the bike tonight and detail it at work tomorrow.

-Kevin

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
If my bikes not dirty I haven't been doing a good job. Looks sick, awesome you get to ride again man, very cool

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I know I'll get heckled for a dirty bike. I'll say it before ya'll get a chance to give me a bad time. I rode 3 times this week and didn't get a chance to wash it between rides. It's usually spotless, super clean and excessively dialed. However, due to cancer, apendectomy, chronic sickness, opening a new bike shop, and chronic illness, 60% lung capacity combined with asthma closing off what little air I can get, and extremly strong acid reflux clinching my lungs even tighter, I've had no time at all. The docotr banned me from riding for about 3-4 months and doing any physical activity. Heck riding 3 times in a week is more than I've rode in the last 4-5months.

-Kevin

Are you kidding me????? I was my bike like three times a year.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos

-Kevin
Wow. Glad you're still around. Enjoy the bike!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Good to hear you are getting better.

I use to ride an 06 Fly and loved it, but it just felt top heavy and didnt corner very well. Swap to a ti spring and you will lose 3/4 of a pound or more. The Curnutt spring is huge so it is real heavy. Get an Avy for that thing and you will love the bike even more. Here is a pic of my Fly before I sold it. It looks like the Avy reservoir would be in the way but it was not. I never hit my leg on it.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Good to hear you are getting better.

I use to ride an 06 Fly and loved it, but it just felt top heavy and didnt corner very well. Swap to a ti spring and you will lose 3/4 of a pound or more. The Curnutt spring is huge so it is real heavy. Get an Avy for that thing and you will love the bike even more. Here is a pic of my Fly before I sold it. It looks like the Avy reservoir would be in the way but it was not. I never hit my leg on it.
Bike:
I've seen your bike in the Foes forum over on MTBR and that's where I got the idea for the Avy shock.

I probably won't go into the all the machine work or ti bolts for the frame at this point. It looks like I have a new frame for '09 now. The Foes weighs 11.5lbs with the stock chainguide, steel spring, floating brake, seat clamp and axle. The new frame will be 9.5lbs with a steel DHX5 coil. We just got setup with some new distributors so I may order up an Evolver for it to drop it down to about 8.5lbs. I don't think I'll have any issues with the air shock. I love my Revox. Even if I don't swap for an air shock I've got 4 Ti springs at the shop from my Revox, so I may try one of those on for size.

Health
I was getting better. I have my 4th oral surgery this year on the 3rd of November. On the 6th I have to go back in for more test for things like lung cancer. The following week I go back in to be tested for Leukemia as well.

My sister and I had a discussion the other day about how my dad retires on Halloween at 60years old. I being 21, am in worse health than both he and my mom combined. We've also decided that I will be very lucky to live past 50. As it is right now, I have to take 189 pills per week.

Summer of '07 is when my health issues started. I didn't get to ride much in '07 or '08 due to multiple surgerys and excessive sickness. Prior to '07 I had missed only 3 days of school/work combined in the last 15years of school.
My health insurance runs out in February on my birthday. We'll see how things go.

-Kevin

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Impressive weight for that bike. Sorry to hear about your health but sounds like you have more then a positive attitude towards it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
geez dude... nice bike... and its good to hear you're doing better in the health department... not to put too fine a point on it, but I'd suggest you look into moving to Canada once your health insurance runs out... it's free up here, and the riding can be pretty darn stellar too!

Good luck with everything...

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've thought about moving to Canada many times. However, I just opened a bike shop down here. I'd prefer not to abondon my customers and leave them having to go to Portland and wait 6-8weeks for a repair to be finished and pay out the pooper for minor repairs.

Whistler is only 7 hours from here anyway and my passport is current.
I think I've got my health care plan sorted out, however I need to get healthy, then start it otherwise I won't be covered on pre-existing problems.

Thanks for the comments on the bike. I'll post up in a month or so with my new frame. I think you guys will like it even more.

-Kevin

Oh yes, skateboarding, fruit booting, bmx, I've done them all. Not sure I'd go back to skateboarding or fruit booting, but I've still got my board and bmx.