Quantcast

360 tiretaps

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Learn 180's
Then do a 180 and land on your rear tire. Spin your head, looking in the direction your spinning.
Practice.

It's easier to learn out of a ramp or bank but the motion is the same as doing them on flatground.

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, 180's are fairly easy, but the last 45 degrees is a beeyotch. I think my problem is that I'm trying to do two 180's, instead of just one move.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
go faster, spin harder.......
and keep looking where your going. head leads, body follows.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
and don't hold your brakes. Maybe give them a tap, but looking where you are going the whole time is the most important. Just keep looking at your own butt until you have spun the whole 360.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
yes I agree, don't hold your brakes...it can stop your momentum. They can be done just fine with brakes but it sure seems easier to rotate on your tire without them. I actually just learned these late last fall...it helped for me to think of them as just one fluid motion, so your head leads for the 3 right away. Once I land on my rear tire (at around 180 or slightly past) I put pressure on my pedal and keep my rotation going. I used to try to do it in two steps, 180 in 180 out and that either made in inconsistant at best or made it look real sketchy.

..now if I only had my bike to do them:(

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i think the most important element is to makes sure that you dont drop your shoulder. if your spinning left your left shoulder or if you are spinning right your right shoulder. dropping your shoulder makes you lean over sideways and fall over.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Originally posted by mutasmurf
thnx for the tips fellas. I was deathgriping my brakes basically, so that's what probably killed my momentum like you guys said.

it will be tough to get used to not using them at all at first. You will have trouble keeping the front end up. But with time they will get easier. If you can't do it without your brakes, try just tapping them to keep you from looping out when you land, but let go. a lot of the ending spin can be acheived with a half a pedal crank.