Quantcast

38 setup question

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I actually found Fox's recommended number of tokens vs amount of travel wasn't too bad. At 180mm, one token worked for me. At 170mm, two was good. I found removing tokens made the fork dive to a little too much.

I agree with "Remove tokens, install Runt". I just did that and it made a big difference.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
thanks all. just reduced to one token for a start and reset air pressure at factory recs. i tend to run both hi and lo compression one or two clicks from wide open so started there. will see how rebound feels when i throw it on tomorrow give it a shakedown ride sometime this week. put them at recommended settings to start.

@buckoW are the send buttons the ones on the back of the stanchions?

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Well FYI every position of hsc on the grip 2 vvc is wide open on the high speed.
I'd reccomend running that sucker all the way in.
It's not even close to an rc2 that's completely backed off.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Took a poop next to my 38 and couldn't figure out which was a bigger piece of sh!t...almost put the real turd on my bike and rode it..

Did a secus on 38 and it was great, i swapped to a runt and love it as well...I like the grip 2 damper with a better curve...
grip 2 likes a linear environment...
I liked the grip 2 in the 36, although it has a avy cart and a runt in it now..

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm going with new ohlins 38 when it comes out and I have adapters for the fox 38 to get avy cart slapped in.
New 38 SC can go 200mm
You sure about that? The 200mm spring tube from the DH fork physically fits, but I don't think the stanchions or damper in the RXF38 are long enough.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Also, why would you want a 200mm single crown? Have you seen the photos of Semenuk's 190mm Zeb flexing at Rampage?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I haven't pulled the top cap off to check the number of tokens yet, but I agree with the statements above to run the high speed comp adjuster full closed and go on the high end of air pressure. I'm going to install the Secus this weekend to keep the fork higher in its travel on the steep stuff without having to run higher pressures.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I haven't but now I need to look, I have my tire on dual crowms touch down tube , had a buddy snap his 951 off at head tubes after his fork left marks on down tube...older boxxer on his.
That might be another sign that it's time to get a modern bike. ;)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That might be another sign that it's time to get a modern bike. ;)
No it was pre evo..mine are Evo and have plenty of scary moments left, thats my take till it goes wrong....no marks on downtubes so far...my old socom damn that one scared the hell out of me had it 2 weeks about put tire to the down tube...I saw the flex....sold it asap lol...white bike and black skidmark on downtube...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No it was pre evo..mine are Evo and have plenty of scary moments left, thats my take till it goes wrong....no marks on downtubes so far...my old socom damn that one scared the hell out of me had it 2 weeks about put tire to the down tube...I saw the flex....sold it asap lol...white bike and black skidmark on downtube...
Another person that did not know what the Socom was meant to be an thinks it was a bad bike. :rolleyes:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Serious question: I watched a random youtube video filmed in the whistler bikepark where one of the rider had a half lid helmet. I thought that wearing a full face helmet was mandatory for bikepark riding. At least it is here in Sweden. How is it in North America?