Quantcast

38 setup question

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Serious question: I watched a random youtube video filmed in the whistler bikepark where one of the rider had a half lid helmet. I thought that wearing a full face helmet was mandatory for bikepark riding. At least it is here in Sweden. How is it in North America?
Yeah if I recall correctly, full-face helmets are recommended but not mandatory for Whistler.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Serious question: I watched a random youtube video filmed in the whistler bikepark where one of the rider had a half lid helmet. I thought that wearing a full face helmet was mandatory for bikepark riding. At least it is here in Sweden. How is it in North America?
Most I've seen had "helmet mandatory", not full face.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Thanks guys!
That's a bit scary too me but it is also in line with what the 2 crazy French guys living in Canada advocate.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
ride report: baseline settings with a little more hsc than recommended. felt pretty darn good on local trails and a jumpline. solid. supportive. decent small bump compliance. no creak/crack at the csu like my 36.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
FYI... before my afternoon ride, I did a little work on the DH bike that has a 2021 Fox 40. I actually like that fork. The air spring feels good.

Then on my afternoon ride on the bike with the 38, which has the DSD Runt (and now with the settings suggested by DSD), I realized the 38's air spring feels much more similar to the 40.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why are Fox 38 air shafts so expensive? They are something like $180cdn.

The Rhythm forks I assume are completely different?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The Rhythm forks I assume are completely different?
Yeah. Look at the pic. The new 38 shafts are contained in a cartridge rather than running the seal head directly on the inner stnchion.
Plus see above answer.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Came here for Fox 38 setup advice, got bike park fashion advice instead. Pretty on brand for this shithole, well done.

Anyways…
ride report: baseline settings with a little more hsc than recommended. felt pretty darn good on local trails and a jumpline. solid. supportive. decent small bump compliance. no creak/crack at the csu like my 36.
I’m three rides in on the 38, with settings pretty close to the “baseline recommendation” of the Yeti shock setup calculator as a starting point. Biggest difference in my setup is about 10psi less, which is actually right in the range that Fox recommends in their setup guide here. Feels a bit too quick for rebound, everything else is pretty spot on. Interestingly, Fox’s guide has slower rebound as a baseline so that’s easy and what I was planning for today’s ride anyways. That and checking to see how many tokens are in there. The 36 wanted none tokens, I’m suspecting there’s at least one in this thing.

Hey @jstuhlman where did you find the baseline setting you used? Have you deviated any?

Edit to add: so far my impression is aligned with Mr. Stuhlman. The fork feels solid and supportive. Better small bump sensitivity than the 36, but doesn’t eat through all its travel easily. Really good i.e. supportive and confidence inspiring on steep rock rolls to harsh compressions. No jump lines or bike park shenanigans, just steep and chunky and loose natural trail so far. I’m a fan.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
But did you take the apparel advice..inquiring minds of this shit hole want to know???

That said 1 upgrade was an additional 4mm shim it was an ebike tune as they called it ..the other thing that allows that fork to work is like most of the 38s, the bushings are so tight they need to be resized...almost every 38 I've done has at least 1 nasty tight bushings.allow the damping to do it's job, eliminate mechanical bind..

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Something worth noting - the '24 38 has a new stiffer stock compression tune. Someone pulled the diagrams from the Fox site on the Vital tech thread - https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/2020-MTB-Tech-rumors-and-innovation,10797?page=481.
I’m reasonably sure mine is a ‘22 or ‘23 because the bike it came on was a last year’s model. But good info for other folks. Copy pasta of the post on Vital:

Engineering diagrams show a revised compression stack.

2021-2023

820-03-660-KIT 0

820-03-716-KIT.jpg?VersionId=VhIXtCoF.PtVzO15

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
But did you take the apparel advice..inquiring minds of this shit hole want to know???
Ha! I did not… having posted on this shit hole for 20 years I know better. Plus I’m a crusty old fuck that doesn’t ride park so I think I’m exempt from the requirement to wear Pit Vipers and cutoff jean shorts anyways.