Quantcast

39 > 38

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
IIRC, the Totem had impressive crown overlap on the stanchions as well which helped contribute to a burly chassis. A mate of mine ran one on a Sunday for a couple of year and sent it huge.

I know it doesn't tick the axle requirement, but if you get a chance to do a lap on a Zeb Ultimate give it a go. They're available in 38 or 44mm offset, Torque Cap compatible (yeah yeah, I know), and Vorsprung does both the Smashpot and Secus options if you want moar betterer springs. I didn't expect it to be anything but a heavier Lyrik but it is definitely not the same.

Actually be curious to see if Fox releases a coil 38 under the Marzocchi name eventually.
True story: I bent the steerer on a 1 1/8 totem at the crown press landing way nose heavy on a big rock drop thingy, that's how I know they made tapered versions because that incident scared the shit out of me and I never bought another 1 1/8 steerer single crown ever again :D

But yeah everything else chassis-wise was solid, very much so.

I've kind of written off newer rockshox forks (obviously) because the last several I've bought have were just kind of lightweight cheap junk that never works as well when new no matter what you replace. I ride a lot less frequently than I used to so that would probably help but I am less inclined to buy one. I have no doubt they feel and work great when new, that's something RS is really really good at. But a new fork plus stevie bits gets kinda pricey at that point and durability should be part of that. I feel pretty confident that there's no way in hell they're as stiff fore/aft as a totem (but then again neither would anything fox makes either)

Basically what I'm saying is: I just want a lighter totem

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
True story: I bent the steerer on a 1 1/8 totem at the crown press landing way nose heavy on a big rock drop thingy, that's how I know they made tapered versions because that incident scared the shit out of me and I never bought another 1 1/8 steerer single crown ever again :D

But yeah everything else chassis-wise was solid, very much so.

I've kind of written off newer rockshox forks (obviously) because the last several I've bought have were just kind of lightweight cheap junk that never works as well when new no matter what you replace. I ride a lot less frequently than I used to so that would probably help but I am less inclined to buy one. I have no doubt they feel and work great when new, that's something RS is really really good at. But a new fork plus stevie bits gets kinda pricey at that point and durability should be part of that. I feel pretty confident that there's no way in hell they're as stiff fore/aft as a totem (but then again neither would anything fox makes either)

Basically what I'm saying is: I just want a lighter totem
track down one of chris porters morc 36..

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If the Totem was so heavy is it really significantly lighter than a 40 or MRP Bartlet? Can't beat a dual crown for stiffness. I never put one on my enduro bike cuz it would add over a pound compared to the 170mm 36 I run, but I may in the future. I'm getting pretty tired of creaking crowns.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If the Totem was so heavy is it really significantly lighter than a 40 or MRP Bartlet? Can't beat a dual crown for stiffness. I never put one on my enduro bike cuz it would add over a pound compared to the 170mm 36 I run, but I may in the future. I'm getting pretty tired of creaking crowns.
Stay with me for a sec.....

What would be cool is a totem

but lighter...

You follow?

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
W
perhaps I wasn't clear so let me reiterate: I just want a lighter totem

Not a flexy ass lyric, not a modern day disposable two year lifespan fork al la rockshox, a burly ass 40mm stanchion, 180mm travel fork with a reasonable wheel offset
Woo, I know a guy who put a totem on a Kinesis xc hardtail and gave it to his kid to ride. You would have cried if you saw it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But Kidwoo bar spinz!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You know, with all of the advances in manufacturing over the last 15 years, I bet RS could take the old Totem and just make it lighter.

I'm kind of surprised none of you have thought of this already. Sheesh.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I guess I don't. I'd rather have the 40 or Bartlet, depending on favorite axle size.
But as you said, you're primarily saying that because of the weight. Sure a fawty would be better but it's the same weight.

But if you had a totem.......that was lighter than a fawty.

So like (picture this) a lighter totem.

seriously if one more person uses the weight of the previous totems do dismiss them as a response to me saying I'd like a lighter one........... :rofl:

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A 36 with a decent axle, a Smashpot and a proper damper at 2400 g mayhaps?
Or a Selva Coil.

EDIT- I would also like a new Totem with 20mm boost to suit 29" wheels, don't care about weight, having the lowers machined correctly so the damper sits parallel to the rest of the fork and shipping with grease in them, that I care about.

The bike industry and its uselessness still amazazes me, now we have 2k forks that need add ons and Loctite, yay!

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But as you said, you're primarily saying that because of the weight. Sure a fawty would be better but it's the same weight.

But if you had a totem.......that was lighter than a fawty.

So like (picture this) a lighter totem.

How about a heavier Zeb?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Or a Selva Coil.

EDIT- I would also like a new Totem with 20mm boost to suit 29" wheels, don't care about weight, having the lowers machined correctly so the damper sits parallel to the rest of the fork and shipping with grease in them, that I care about.

The bike industry and its uselessness still amazazes me, now we have 2k forks that need add ons and Loctite, yay!
The latest Bos Idylle SC has 20mm axle, fits 29" wheels and is unlikely to need any add ons :panic:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The latest Bos Idylle SC has 20mm axle, fits 29" wheels and is unlikely to need any add ons :panic:
I have a Bos Stoy shock in the spare parts drawer, I bought a new shock rather than trying to get it serviced. Parts didn't really seem to get to Australia often so from what I heard a one year turnaround wasn't out of the ordinary.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You know, with all of the advances in manufacturing over the last 15 years, I bet RS could take the old Totem and just make it lighter.

I'm kind of surprised none of you have thought of this already. Sheesh.
Ahh, so basically make it out of carbon fiber. Springs out of neutronium.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have a Bos Stoy shock in the spare parts drawer, I bought a new shock rather than trying to get it serviced. Parts didn't really seem to get to Australia often so from what I heard a one year turnaround wasn't out of the ordinary.
Yes, the future of the customer service from Bos is the big question... wherever you live actually!

The bad period that everyone remembers was apparently linked to an uncontrolled growth of the company with their products on YTs and a lot of rally stuff. Hopefully things have changed now and the company is managed in a better way...?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
@kidwoo I have a mate's Zoch 66 that is heavy AF, is a coil (it even has 2 of those helical rascals!) and sports a strong sized axle...may even be able to milk a goldilocks hoop in there.

Actually, I threw it on my Mk1 MT last year in Pisgah and it really is a destroyer of East Coast Rox®, but laughably heavy.

As for the Tote, I had one on my old V10 for a good while and as you said, it was a great chassis. Mine had the solo air spring, which sucked enough balls that RS exchanged my fork for a new one, which I promptly sold as one did with RS/Sram products back then (still?)

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@kidwoo I have a mate's Zoch 66 that is heavy AF, is a coil (it even has 2 of those helical rascals!) and sports a strong sized axle...may even be able to milk a goldilocks hoop in there.

Actually, I threw it on my Mk1 MT last year in Pisgah and it really is a destroyer of East Coast Rox®, but laughably heavy.

As for the Tote, I had one on my old V10 for a good while and as you said, it was a great chassis. Mine had the solo air spring, which sucked enough balls that RS exchanged my fork for a new one, which I promptly sold as one did with RS/Sram products back then (still?)
i too once had a 66. i loved it in the way only a boat anchor can be loved.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not only that, it's the thing that keeps the uppers attached to the lowers so when it strips you run the risk of your fork sliding off.

All around a great system.
mine wasn't OG, but it was coil spring with the air preload via schraeder, which had the added benefit of increasing preload while riding. but thankfully it prevented it from ever bottoming out