Quantcast

3M or off-brand clear strips. What do you use?

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Hey everybody, over the years I have either not put any sort of protection on my bike, or very rarely. I was wondering if anyone has found anything cheap that works. I would like a lot of it so maybe a roll or something. I've looked around at my hardware stores, but I cannot find anything thin or thick enough. The last bike I had I used some really cool stuff that came on a roll my dad found at the NAPA in Granby during nationals last year. We threw away the package and cannot find it anywhere. It was good stuff too, really light and sticky. Anyways, if any of you know exactly what to get thank you!.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
I swear by Factory Effex Clear Vinyl. I believe it comes in 3 sheets of 12 X 19 Vinyl that comes in all sorts of colors. It's nice and tough and won't peel off like others i've used. Also it's really cheap. $15.00. I've been using it on my bikes and have had awesome success.

A little tip. when you cut out the Vinyl, round off the edges. This helps prevent the vinyl to peel over, over time when riding / cleaning the frame.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I swear by Factory Effex Clear Vinyl. I believe it comes in 3 sheets of 12 X 19 Vinyl that comes in all sorts of colors. It's nice and tough and won't peel off like others i've used. Also it's really cheap. $15.00. I've been using it on my bikes and have had awesome success.

A little tip. when you cut out the Vinyl, round off the edges. This helps prevent the vinyl to peel over, over time when riding / cleaning the frame.
Im with you on using this stuff. I have only been putting it on the underside of the downtube but it has worked great for that.

stballer13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
I use Xpel as well. The stuff is great. Goes on fairly easily with alcohol solution and comes off with no residue left behind. Have done multiple bikes and so far have not had to replace it after 2 seasons.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If you're in a hurry and don't care about looks as much, I got some clear plastic from the local hobby shop. It's a milky color, but has been protecting my cf cranks very nicely from the gritty/muddy riding I've been doing with my bow-legged riding stance.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotchgard-paint-protection-film-5hzbgzhklw.html

by far the strongest film out there, napa carries it but its pricey and ebay is the cheapest place to buy it. Its a urethane and leagues above the vinyl in terms of durability. I have almost every surface of my gt fury covered with it and after a season of dh it is still like new. I would highly recommend it, the prices on the 3m site are crazy, vendors on ebay sell an auto bra sized piece for $30-40 that could cover a few bikes.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Do all of these materials leave the paint finish on the bike when you peel them off?

That's my biggest gripe, I used some helicopter tape and it brought some of the paint/finish off with it when I peeled it off. Decided this kind of protection wasn't worth it after that.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006

bought this at CRC and it works really, really good! not too thick, not too thin and sticks well. had to peel off some patches, because i placed them wrong and there were no residues left on the frame. i cleaned the frame with 98% alcohol before applying and it stuck really good. recommended.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Any of yuo guys ever try out those diamond-plate downtube protectors that Go-ride sold? Those things rocked. It was like 1/8in thick aluminum diamondplate that was rounded a bit. With a little elbo grease you could get it to fit most diameter tubes. I guess this was back in the day though when most bikes had straight-tubes though. With all these new hydro-form Al and Carbon frames they aren't as universal as they were before. Prob why they stopped selling them.

They certainly stood up though!!

DHDreams

Chimp
May 11, 2008
I just got a new frame and want to protect it too. Thanks for the ideas! I need to check out some of these products.